Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am about to buy myself a home theater setup, but am driving myself crazy trying to figure out what to buy. I have decided on the Pioneer Elite PRO630HD, still not sure on the receiver, dvd, and speakers. HD Tuner can wait since I have cable, with only 2 channels that can come over the air.

I think I am ready to decide on the speakers, but don't see much posting regarding the Klipsch.

I need bookshelf speakers in the front, and the rear are going to be in-ceiling.

I was thinking either

Bookshelf (x2) - RB3

Center - RC-3

Rear (X3, 6.1 sound?)- RCR-3

Sub - RSW-10

or

Bookshelf (x2) - SB-3

Center - SC-1

Rear (X3, 6.1 sound?)- SCR-3

Sub - KSW-12

Or should I go with some PSB's or NHT's?

Any advice is muchly appreciated...

·
Registered
538 Posts
high the klipch are ok have you tried dynaudio, b&w, monitor audio,paradigm. the dynaudio books are awesome.b&w cdm1nt are great.the paradigm reference have a large 3 way book and matching in walls. just some i have heard the klipsch are ok not my cup of tea.but if you like them thats all that matters they make a good product i use to own a full set.I do not like there subs you would be doing yourself a favor to go with a better sub. if you go with klipsch stay away from bright electronics.yamaha and denon would do well. good luck.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx. Hard to get prices for most of those on-line. I was looking at some denon components, the dealer told me that denon and klipsch went well together, but I didn't believe him. Now I guess I should have ;-)

WOnder how the dynaudios compare pricewise to the klipsch...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
The Dynaudios would probably be a little more than the reference Klipsch set-up. If you like them then I would suggest comparing them to the Vienna Acoustics, try four Bachs and a Center. They are around the same price and since you could probably get them from the same dealer you are getting your TV from (I have a feeling) they would probably be more willing to cut you a break on the price.

For subs try the SVS or M&K brands for Home Theater.

If you are looking for a music sub try REL and Sunfire.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Oops forgot Vandersteen. Definitly give them a listen as well.

Not the prettiest looking speakers but they sound unbelievably good for their price (IMO)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Klipsch Reference are certainly not bad speakers and they are very efficient but they do have a very distinctive sound. You will have to decide if that sound is right for your ears. If you do decide on Klipsch I would lean towards a Denon, Marantz or Harmon Kardon receiver - they tend to be slightly warmer than Sony, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc. However, I would also recomend listening to Dynaudio. Their Audience line is very reasonably priced and are a fairly accurate. Dyn's crossovers are some of the most transparent that I've heard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have the new denon 3803 with the klipsch r-3II series. get this and you will not be disappointed. my fronts are the rf-3. if you need bookshelf you could go with the rb-3 or step up to the rb-7. get this setup and enjoy

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have a Marantz receiver with klipsch reference series speakers (rf3's in the front. I really like their sound. I think they are the best speaker for the money, as they are very efficient and detailed.

They do tend to be a bit bright for some people, so it is important that you get a warm sounding receiver. I think the marantz compliments the klipsch very well. I also looked at denon receivers and liked them too.

Also, like you said in your post, it is very difficult to find many other good speaker brands on line. I bought my klipsh speakers on line for about 25 percent off retail. That is why I think they were the best speakers for the money out at that time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, thanks for all the help everyone!

So, assuming I get the klipsch (not a guarantee since I haven't researched all the good stuff posted), how will an integra 6.3 match to them? Is it a bright receiver by nature? I can't put the two together at one dealer, (only paradigms with the Integra, denon/yamaha/HK with the klipsch).

Thanks again...

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
canubial,

One suggestion to make. If you decide to go the Synergy route you might want to listen to the SC-1 and the RC-3. I've got a Synergy setup SF-1's, SC-1, and SB-2's for the surrounds and the SC-1 just doesn't quite match the SF-1's. It seems to be a little boxy sounding and or the bass rolls of pretty high, well over 100Hz. Don't get me wrong I love the setup, even after two years it still surprises me what it can do, but I'm seriously considering replacing my center with a RC-3II. FYI, they're hooked to a Yamaha RX-V595a and a Velodyne CHT-12.

Chad

·
Registered
561 Posts
Klipsch speakers?

of course ok

specially The Heritage line

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I find the Klipsch's too brash and they wear you out after listening for a long time. It's really what you like though. Let your ears be your guide.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

So, looks like the divas are a thing of the past, based on some legal wrangling. And that ther a bazillion posts on the rockets. No tsure I can put them in a ceiling, but I might be able to put them on a shelf high towards the ceiling, guess that would be OK, though I am not sure of the WAF...

-Mat

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for that tip. I actually have a strange set-up, with a bulkhead on one side of the room, goes the length of the room front to back. Not sure how I am going to place any speakers as it is, but maybe will give these a shot. With the reviews from this site, and that price, seems I can't miss. Not sure what sub to get, any recommends?

I think I will drive them with the Onkyo TX-SR800. I was going to go with 6.1, do you think I really need the three rear speakers with the 300's?

Thanks again...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Klipsch are awesome...RC-3 great, RB-2's, great...For surrounds I would go with the Reference series in-walls (if your layout allows) These sound absolutely awesome. Also, forget about the Reference sub, go with the KSW-15 for less money...tons of bang, great sound quality.

You don't need alot of power with these, but I'd recommend an Integra DTR 8.3...enough toys, pronto remote, 6.1, good sound. Overall a great value.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by canubial
Thank you for that tip. I actually have a strange set-up, with a bulkhead on one side of the room, goes the length of the room front to back. Not sure how I am going to place any speakers as it is, but maybe will give these a shot. With the reviews from this site, and that price, seems I can't miss. Not sure what sub to get, any recommends?

I think I will drive them with the Onkyo TX-SR800. I was going to go with 6.1, do you think I really need the three rear speakers with the 300's?

Thanks again...
You're welcome! SVS and Hsu make very good subs for the money. Depending on when you're buying, Onix is also releasing a line of Rocket subs that will have a matching finish that should be able to be had at a great price if you buy the Rocket's.

As far as going with a setup beyond 5.1, it will depend on your room and placement. Many people have reported great results with an imaged rear center through proper placement of the 300's on the sides. If you do choose to go beyond 5.1, it is also recommended to go with a 7.1 setup, with 2 speakers for the rears. Discussion regarding the reasoning for this can be found (mainly from k1wi and Sanjay) at this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=195433

·
Registered
752 Posts
Oh how I love my Klipsch La Scala's. If you want real dynamics, low distortion then take a listen to the line. You will find the reference series to be excellent for HT and if you don't mind spending a little more then go with the heritage line. The Heritage line will make you sing with joy! Remember don't expect Any Klipsch to soiynd like anything else on the market

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used to own a set of RF-3 II's ......they were powered using Adcom seperates............100 watts of power to each of them made you dizzy they were so obnoxiously loud..................however, you can't listen to Klipsch very long at moderate to high volumes........a little bit too intense............

I like listening to my B&Ws at higher levels..........they don't have the fatiguing quality of the Klipschs........

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
As much as I enjoy the klipsch line, and I love my klipsch speakers, I think their subs suck. I would go with another brand for the sub. There are many companies out there that make superior subs for the same money.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just got a Reference set. I checked out the whole line and please understand this- If you like brightness, move towards the RF-7, the biggest of the line, they are extremely bright. The RF-3 however is the most balanced of the bunch, still lively without being overpowering.

I heard the Paradigm Monitor and Studio series (100) as well as the PSB Image line (6T). The PSB speakers sounded nice, but a little too boxy.

The Paradigm Studio 100s sounded nice, but had to be cranked to sound OK. Too laid back, and very flat sounding otherwise. Some people prefer this so you may want to demo yourself, but I wasn't convinced that those speakers sounded better than the RF-3s, especially not $1200 bucks better.

Got the KSW-15. I'm sure there are better subs, but I got an extremely good deal on one and you'd have to spend more to get similar quality. It shakes my whole apartment.

Make the purchase and enjoy.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.