AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I had recently been looking at upgrading my old 2.1 system to a 2.0 system. While I was looking and comparing the HSU HB-1 to other speakers, I ran across the Klipsch Reference Line, and found them to be a great value. Specifically looking at the Klipsch RB-61, RB-51, or B-3

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/product...207;2208;1581;

Anyhow, my question is that most of these speakers run at an RMS of nearly 100 watts and peak at 300 - 400 watts. My receiver, a Harman Kardon 3385, can only run speakers at 80 x 2 continuous. If paired with that receiver, will the Klipsch blow it at a low volume, running at 100 watts RMS, or will I most likely never even reach that figure due to the limits of the receiver? To make it simple, will they overpower my receiver?

Thank You!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
No, the speakers don't "run at" 100 watts RMS. That is their rated maximum continuous input power. All that means is that as long as you don't feed them more than they, they will probably live. Likewise, you receiver doesn't "run at" 80 watts RMS. That is the rated maximum continuous output power. We don't feed out equipment continuous signals at high levels (unless you like to listen to very loud unchanging sounds). Most of the time the amp won't be putting out anything near its rated power. The speakers you are considering are a decent match for your receiver.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
hi_fi82 -- Those figures are for the maximum input power that the speaker can handle.

The key factor is the speaker "Efficiency". Klipsch speakers are very efficient. The RB-61s, for example, are rated at 95dB for 2.83V (about 1 Watt) input at 1 meter. This means that these speakers will produce sounds at an 95dB level at 1 meter (about 3') from the speaker. With a 3dB fall-off for every doubling of distance, this means that the power level at about 12' from the RB-61 will be about 89dB with a 1 Watt input. That is quite loud (75dB is considered the "reference" level) and 110dB is very loud. Your Harman Kardon 3385 has more than enough power to drive the RB-61s to ear-splitting levels.

The RB-61 is a much better speaker than the RB-51 (and both are a lot better than the B-3). Also, the RB-61 has the base reflex port on the front, whereas the RB-51 is rear ported (and cannot be placed at least a foot from a wal,l compared to the RB-61). It's not a good idea to place the speakers against a wall, anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts