AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I just got 2 Pioneer Premier Elite Receivers, the SC-05 and SC-65. I have the SC-05 hooked up to a set of Klipsch Qunitet's and a Klipsch 10 powered sub. Sounds decent but I want to add to it. I am considering the Klipsch Reference as well as Klipsch Premier series. I am going to start by adding a set of Bookshelf Speakers and then add a center channel, then floor speakers, etc..

I am torn between, Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-160, and Klipsch Reference RB-61 II. The cost is 600 for the Premiere Series and Crutchfield has the RB-61's for 349.99. I know the Premier's just came out, but do you guys think it is worth the extra cash to buy the Premiere's? I am going to move two quintet speakers currently used as front to the rear surround on the amp, then add the bookshelf's as the front. Then next I will replace the center channel.

Any advice offered is appreciated, and I do want to stick with Klipsch.

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would wait until the reviews come out to see if they are worth it. There are some fantastic deals on the current Reference series though, I doubt the new ones are twice as good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You for the Response! I can get the center channel and the book shelf speakers for the same price as the bookshelfs if I get the older series. I went to Fry's and they do not have the premier on display yet.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Buy the Reference IIs and put the savings towards a new sub or something. From everything I've read, the main difference with the Premiere line is that the highs are somewhat smoother. As a fan of the Klipsch sound, that isn't necessarily a good thing to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all for responding, I will post this in the Klipsch thread, and I agree that it would be tough for the speakers to sound twice as good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless anyone else recommends otherwise I am going to order the older reference series tomorrow from Crutchfield.

Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Just read a review where the user preferred the Reference II center he was using (largest one I believe) to the rp-440c? center from the Premiere line. If I didn't already have a setup I'd be all over some RF-82II's and the big center. They were going for next to nothing awhile back. Not sure what they're at now or what you're able to get them for now, but I bet it's pretty good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!! I have yet to see one person say that the new Premiere series is worth almost double the price of the discontinued models.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Just read a review where the user preferred the Reference II center he was using (largest one I believe) to the rp-440c? center from the Premiere line. If I didn't already have a setup I'd be all over some RF-82II's and the big center. They were going for next to nothing awhile back. Not sure what they're at now or what you're able to get them for now, but I bet it's pretty good.
Do you know if they were talking about the rf64 or the rf62? Klipsch does have an rp450c that is a step up from the 440

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can get a set of open box RB-81 II's for 225.00 each, from an authorized dealer. They seem pretty awesome for bookshelf's, with 8" subs, may go with them.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I can get a set of open box RB-81 II's for 225.00 each, from an authorized dealer. They seem pretty awesome for bookshelf's, with 8" subs, may go with them.
I can guarantee you will love them. They fill my small room with crispy detailed sound and punchy bass. I use them as front L/R, but I can only imagine how much more they have to offer in bigger rooms. That 8-inch woofer will provide almost floorstander like basslines and at that price they're a steal.

I say take all your doubts away and get these. In time as you expand your HT they can be used as rear surrounds. So it's basically a lifelong investment.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If he was running the RC-64ii compared to the 440 there would be no comparison, the 64 is much larger and much more expensive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If he was running the RC-64ii compared to the 440 there would be no comparison, the 64 is much larger and much more expensive.
Id love to hear the difference or read a review of a true sound comparison. Too late for me, but I definitely considered even the 450c. But the cherry wood color match (and mostly for the larger all around speaker/wattage size) sold me on the 64.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can guarantee you will love them. They fill my small room with crispy detailed sound and punchy bass. I use them as front L/R, but I can only imagine how much more they have to offer in bigger rooms. That 8-inch woofer will provide almost floorstander like basslines and at that price they're a steal.

I say take all your doubts away and get these. In time as you expand your HT they can be used as rear surrounds. So it's basically a lifelong investment.

Have to second this. It just makes good sense considering the price you're privileged to and the scenario of shifting the speakers to surrounds whenever you can upgrade. If I'm in your position I'd be sold.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have to second this. It just makes good sense considering the price you're privileged to and the scenario of shifting the speakers to surrounds whenever you can upgrade. If I'm in your position I'd be sold.
I took your advice and got the RB-81'S II's, also upgraded center channel to the RC-62 II. Hooking it up tomorrow to see how they sound.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts