AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have a 7.2 system with 2 Klipsch  SW-311 for subs. I have a Yamaha RX-A820 sending the signal via 2 50' cables from mono price. I ran the Room correction program on both subs (The ARC calibration system). Then I ran the Yamaha YPAO calibration. My problems are that the subs seem to need more bass than normal before they automatically turn on. Then once they finally kick in they don't seem to put out as much sound I would expect from both. Finally when they are on and there is not much bass  or the movie is quiet you can hear a hiss coming from each one. What am I doing wrong? Any pointers tips would be greatly appreciated.  I also followed this set up for the subs: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1361535/klipsch-sw-311-settings

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Raising the subwoofer channel gain in your AVR should help with both issues. The higher signal strength will help the sub's auto-on feature to turn on sooner and it will also raise the sub's output to a more satisfying level.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrich3  /t/1515527/klipsch-sw-311-x2-on-a-7-2-system-problems-need-help-please#post_24299721

Raising the subwoofer channel gain in your AVR should help with both issues. The higher signal strength will help the sub's auto-on feature to turn on sooner and it will also raise the sub's output to a more satisfying level.
Thanks for the input. Now to figure out how to do this. lol!

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
Your linked thread isn't much help as to what you did in the way of settings on your subs. Describe the sub settings you used and results of ARC, as well as what YPAO set your crossover and trim levels to might be a good start. Like henrich says, sounds like your gain setting on the sub is too low to activate the auto on/off switch. Do you have any measurement gear of your own outside of the avr?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1515527/klipsch-sw-311-x2-on-a-7-2-system-problems-need-help-please#post_24299885

Your linked thread isn't much help as to what you did in the way of settings on your subs. Describe the sub settings you used and results of ARC, as well as what YPAO set your crossover and trim levels to might be a good start. Like henrich says, sounds like your gain setting on the sub is too low to activate the auto on/off switch. Do you have any measurement gear of your own outside of the avr?
I will go home and check it out. I have no idea what the results of ARC were or how to even check them other than I have the choice to use room correction or not. When I use YPAO it seems like the sub is real quiet and the results show it farther away than the left front speaker which it sits right next to. Anyways I will try to get some figures for you guys when I get a chance here. Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himmy33  /t/1515527/klipsch-sw-311-x2-on-a-7-2-system-problems-need-help-please#post_24299912

When I use YPAO it seems like the sub is real quiet and the results show it farther away than the left front speaker which it sits right next to. Anyways I will try to get some figures for you guys when I get a chance here. Thanks!
Short answer, the YPAO measurements for the sub are compensating for signal processing delays within the sub thus the seemingly incorrect distance settings and is normal. 

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So I have been using the system as much as I can and the speakers are finally starting to break in and sound real good. I changed some setting and the subs to be producing ample bass. The only complaint I have right now is the audible hiss from them during quiet parts of a movie or tv show. Not sure how to fix that or if it is even possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts