AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know David has recently stated that these threads will be monitered closely, and I know that this is an extremely subjective topic. That said, I have recently heard some Klipsch speakers and thought that they sounded fantastic. As I look through these forums, though, there are not many Klipsch owners. Is there some flaw that I am missing? In other words, why (if you demoed them) did you NOT choose Klipsch over something else at that price? And please - no flaming!

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Many find the Klipsch "voicing" not to their personal taste.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
I have had (replaced by B&W 804's and HTM1) 4 KLF-30's and a KLF-C7 for a few years. There are several positives to the Klipsch sound. It fills the room with sound like no other speaker I've heard in the price range. This really shines on HT setup. They are externally efficient (about 4 to 6db more than my 804's) and require modest power. If you are happy with the sound then go for them. You will not be flamed for choosing Klipsch over something else.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yeah, as Tex-amp said, it's just a matter of personal preference. I have some Klipsch reference speakers in my second listening area and think they sound really nice. I would recommend that you have at least an extended listening session to make sure they're right for you. Also, I've found that they're really sensitive to the gear they're matched up with. So, try to get an in home audition if possible with the equipment that you'll be using, or at least make sure you have a good return policy.

Very detailed, dynamic speakers that can get by with very little power, relatively speaking.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I use Klipsch in my HT. I've also noticed that the local theatre, the one with good sound, also uses Klipsch.

Some people don't like them. Oh well.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Agreed with all of the above comments. Klipsch tend to have a bump in the 1K-6.5K region to give them that added sizzle which people either love or they hate. I used to have Klipsch Ref 3's as well and I found them to become grading on me after about 15 minutes of listening. It all comes down to personal preference as I know people that absolutely LOVE the Klipsch sound and that is cool as well....It's all about finding the perfect sound for you! :cool:

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hectic1
Agreed with all of the above comments. Klipsch tend to have a bump in the 1K-6.5K region to give them that added sizzle which people either love or they hate....
hey now.. that sounds awfully familiar. I wonder who said that. heh ;)

I myself can listen to Klipsch but unfortunatly not out of the box. Need to EQ it to tame the mid section down somewhat. Take that "edge" away"

After the EQ'ing. I don't get fatigued as easily. Actually fatigue is almost eliminated.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Klipsch are awesome. I'm speaking objectively of course as you can easily tell from my name. ;)

As stated above, people either love them or hate them. Like all speakers there are pros and cons to them, and depending on the person, the pros and cons may be flipped. *Most* people will agree that they are extraordinarily detailed, extremely efficient, and "bright" sounding.

The bottom line though Formix is you should listen to/buy what YOU like the sound of whether it be Klipsch, B&W, or whatever.

On a note not specifically related...Since you thought the sound of Klipsch was fantastic you should go out of your way to listen to LaScala, Klipschorn, or Belle.:)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
IMO buying what you like isn't always the smartest move. If you don't know what good speakers sound like, then you should learn. You may like Bose cubes, but with some experience, you would learn they are expensive for what you get and lacking in the midrange (and bass and...)

Read, listen and learn. Find out what you like, but also what things should sound like. Is the bass boomy, are there holes in the midrange, are the highs over expressed, etc.?

Different speaker's sound different and that doesn't make them bad or lacking. But there is alot of crap out there and gaining some experience by listening to good and great speakers will give you an idea of what to expect from speakers in your price range. Just my .02

·
Registered
605 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Figgie
hey now.. that sounds awfully familiar. I wonder who said that. heh ;)

I myself can listen to Klipsch but unfortunatly not out of the box. Need to EQ it to tame the mid section down somewhat. Take that "edge" away"

After the EQ'ing. I don't get fatigued as easily. Actually fatigue is almost eliminated.
Hey, I'm only as smart as the info that I steal!!!:) I did do some checking and you are correct about the bump...

At the end of the day, I don't care what the curves look like as curves don't tell the entire tail...they give a good starting point and that is a far as they go IMO...:cool:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Klipsch speakers do have a unique sound due to their horn-loaded design. Some people love this sound, others hate it. No one is wrong, we all just have different tastes in music and what we perceive as good sound. I personally love the in your face dynamics and power of Klipsch speakers, thats why I bought them. Others may dislike these traits, so they choose another brand. Nothing wrong here.

What bothers myself and other Klipsch fans (c'mon Kippjones and Scooterdog.. chime in!!) is when people bash Klipsch just because they don't like the sound. Because they don't like it, they must be crap speakers, right? WRONG!! Everyone is entiled to their own opinion. But people who bash a brand simply because they don't like the sound are simply out of place. Klipsch manufactures a solid product which many people enjoy.

Formix........You should post this over at www.forums.klipsch.com And see what type of feedback you get!!!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yamaklipsch
Klipsch speakers do have a unique sound due to their horn-loaded design. Some people love this sound, others hate it. No one is wrong, we all just have different tastes in music and what we perceive as good sound. I personally love the in your face dynamics and power of Klipsch speakers, thats why I bought them. Others may dislike these traits, so they choose another brand. Nothing wrong here.

What bothers myself and other Klipsch fans (c'mon Kippjones and Scooterdog.. chime in!!) is when people bash Klipsch just because they don't like the sound. Because they don't like it, they must be crap speakers, right? WRONG!! Everyone is entiled to their own opinion. But people who bash a brand simply because they don't like the sound are simply out of place. Klipsch manufactures a solid product which many people enjoy.

Formix........You should post this over at www.forums.klipsch.com And see what type of feedback you get!!!
hmm :confused:

Thanks for that opinion (2nd paragraph) which mind you was totally off topic.

All I see here is the same comment being said over and over again.... Only YOUR ear can decide if you like Klipsch... that is FAR from bashing unless some word that was used just became flame.

where has ANYONE said they are not good in this thread? This will just lead to this thread getting locked or deleted. So plaese stay on topic.

-thx

·
Registered
65 Posts
Klipsch In my Humble opinion is a very good speaker and really efficeint speaker. I love them I personally own 3 different sets of speakers. Mirage Om's.. Boston Acoustics... and some Klipsch 3.5 and i loved them. all speakers take some getting use too. So I believe its your own personal taste on this.. Listen to them first and compare them to others and let your ears do the talking..Good Luck..

·
Registered
923 Posts
Solidly build speakers. Reasonable prices and good availability. Very efficient which can help curb costs in the realm of front end electronics. Very strong sound for action movies and many of the harder forms of of music (metal, guitar rock, some of the louder classical pieces, etc.).

Very bright. On the high side of fatiguing compared to all other speakers I've listened to. Just not the right sound for more dialog or orchestral soundtrack driven movies or for mid-to-quiet music.

Just my $.02 there. I highly recommend getting an extended (1-3 hours) listen to them before purchasing to discern if you have a listening fatigue issue with them. I can't say that their sound is actually unattractive or that their value (depending on model, of course), but I can say that trying to get through the extended version of The Two Towers on my friends Klipsch based HT becomes a bit of a trial into the third hour ;p

Kensai

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys. I should probably say that I'm in the A/V biz professionally, and have heard some of the best setups out there, CAT, B&W, Meridian, Wilson, et al. Now, those are WAY out of my budget, but I've listened to a fair number of speakers. Before I heard the Klipsch, I had pretty well settled on Paradigm Monitor 90Ps and all that, to match the ADP-370s I already have for surrounds. But at the price point, I think I may go Klipsch instead. (I wish I could talk the wife into the RF-7s) I just wanted to check in with the Forum, as many of you have a broader range of experience, as well as a longer time listening to them. I am a little concerned with the highs being fatiguing over time, and have pretty much decided that as soon as possible, my Sony DB1070 will have to be replaced.....probably a Halo/Parasound combo....or maybe Pioneer Elite.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Formix,

If you are ok with going internet direct for your speaker purchases there are a number of companies that will give you unbelievable performance for the price...I would take a look at some of the offerings from www.theaudioinsider.com www.audioc.com www.axiomaudio.com and www.**********.

There is a website that you can check to see if there are any owners in your area that would willing to let you audition. www.audioenvy.com

Good luck with your decision! :cool:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Quote:
probably a Halo/Parasound combo....or maybe Pioneer Elite
Parasound amps match up wonderfully with Klipsch reference speakers. This I know firsthand. I've also heard many laud the coupling of Klipsch with the Pioneer Elites.

·
Premium Member
11,863 Posts
Hi YamaKlipsch!!!

;) ;) ;)

I love my RF-7's and would not trade them for any other speaker. I love the sound...plain and simple. I actually had a full set of "internet" sold speakers for free that were offered to me. They had a warm sound and were great speakers but they were not great speakers for me due to the warmer sound. That certainly does not mean they are not great speakers for someone else.

If you really love the sound of the Klipsch then that is all that matters and you have an easier decision than some who are not quite sure what sound or speaker to purchase.

Here you most likely will see more discussion of some brands than others due to how some brands are sold or distributed. I have quite a few "horny" friends that own Klipsch but never spend any time on the internet forums. If you want more Klipsch discussion, check out the forums at Klipsch.com. Popularity can be site specific. Enjoy.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I've never heard any Klipsch speakers myself, but their reputation for being very bright is pretty much impossible to miss if you read this, or any other, board regularly. If this popularly held conception is indeed accurate then you should be careful when demo'ing them versus other speakers. Psychoacoustic studies have shown quit conclusively that, when comparing speakers, people tend to perceive speakers with higher amounts of bass and/or treble energy (i.e. non-flat curves with spikes outside the mid-range) as sounding subjectively "better". This is not dissimilar to how a speaker that is cranked to a higher SPL will also sound subjectively "better". (This is from F. Alton Everest's "Master Handbook of Acoustics, not from somewhere in my colon.)

As a result of this, a brightly voiced speaker may sound better on the show-room floor due to simple psychoacoustic properties. However, you really ought to do some long-term listening and form your opinions of speakers with the effects of psychoacoustics in mind.

Hmm... Can I say even that much without starting a flame-war? Yeesh. We'll see I suppose.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.