AVS Forum banner

Klipsch vs Bose

93K views 50 replies 26 participants last post by  esmugala 
#1 ·
Between the two on sale which one is a better option? I know Klipsch is $200 cheaper but Bose has $300 discount. I am not big audiophile and just looking for a home theater setup to watch movies in the basement. I am not too concern with space saving as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thansk

klipsch
Klipsch Synergy 50 5.0 Home Theatre System - Black sale $500 regular $600

bose
Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV Home Entertainment Speaker System sale $700 regular $1000

#5 · (Edited)
Though Bose speakers are extremely overpriced (which means I would never own a pair), I disagree with your statement.

If you were to say: at any given price, Klipsch speakers are preferred over Bose, then I would agree. Audio reproduction is too personal to say which is better if the cost factor is not a variable - each brand hosts a different tweeter.

In regards to the OP, many would agree that these specific Klipsch line of speakers are a better value and you will probably have a better experience with them. They are probably on sale because of the new release of the Klipsch Reference Premier line. I will never own a Bose product knowingly

#4 ·
I'm not a big fan of Klipsch speakers but they beat the brakes off of anything made by Bose. Understand that Bose ceased to be a speaker company decades ago (and they weren't exactly great at it then) and became a marketing company that traded on the Bose name. Run, don't walk, away from anything with the Bose name on it.

Reactions: philmike21
#10 ·
It is not a fair comparison:
Klipsch speaker has a bigger midbass and has a tweeter.
Bose AM sat has a small midbass and nothing else.

Now, the Bose system has a bass module and the Quintet you would have to still buy a sub...but combine the Quintet with a Dayton Audio SUB1200 and you would have better lows, better highs and as good or better mids!
Btw, Amazon has the Quintet for 250 right now
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-QUINTET-Speaker-System-Black/dp/B002HWRKA2

#12 ·
I have klipsch speakers but I dont like the synergy series at all, they sound very tinny and harsh to my ears. For the money I would go with some Behringer PA speakers 215xl. I bought one to test it out and was very impressed with how well it compared to my klipsch towers.
They are ugly but sound decent for $215 bucks shipped and play rather loud.

And you cant really compare klipsch to bose, two entirely differnt style speakers. One rocks one is a waste of money, only thing good bose makes is the soundlink mini.If you want klipsch call an authorised dealer and get some of last years reference II line, I bet you would basically steal it.

#14 ·
Found it

So even though I did take measurements of my space a few weeks back, I did so using my Klipsch mains. I was having a hard time finding the motivation to run a stereo measurement of my Bose...thankfully I have friends here that are willing to give me the push I need...

So without further delay. L/R Bose Jewel Cubes + Bose acoustimass module...

#21 ·
Dont be drawn in by percent off/discounts. Go out and listen to a variety of speakers and pick the one that sounds best to you. I would not choose either of these, but would go with Klipsch over Bose sound unheard. I'd take a look at ascend and svs too, though they are internet direct and listening before buying may be difficult.

#22 ·
Wow those measurements are pretty awful. Not only does it demonstrate the phrase "no high, no lows, must be Bose"...but is there any stretch of the freq response where you could say +/- 3 dbs!? And that gap between the Bass Module and the sats is like the Grand Canyon. I cannot imagine that the Bose measurement would stand up to any decent Sat system that has tweeter and even a weak but real subwoofer!

#24 ·
I haven't seen any specialized rooms, but have seen large tractor trailers setup by Bose on one of their infomercials that I thought was interesting. BTW, here is an article about how to audition that mentions Bose (second paragraph) that I thought was very informative: http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/how-audition-speakers Bose knows how to market their products!

#33 ·
Well my initial post was to tell the OP to just go and have listen to Klipsh and Bose system and decide for himself. Then the usual Bose bashing starts about unsubstantiated claims of product tweaking in stores which is absurd. Over the years I find that 95% of Bose haters never actually did a side by side comparison between a Bose system and brand X but just have piled on the bandwagon because I guess it's cool. Thats all I'm going to say in this matter.

#35 ·
Over the years I find that 95% of Bose haters never actually did a side by side comparison between a Bose system and brand X but just have piled on the bandwagon because I guess it's cool.
Try going into a Bose sound room to compare them with anything else. You can't, because the Bose dealer agreement forbids dealers from having anything but Bose in the room. In big box settings you'll only find Bose in their own section, usually on the end of the aisle, never side by side with anything else. That's also in the dealer agreement. One of the reasons why Bose haters hate Bose is because Bose goes to great lengths to make it impossible to do side by side comparisons.
All major cars have Bose...
My BMW doesn't. :)

#37 ·
Well, the Bose measurements don't lie...the measurements are terrible! Does everyone like a "flat speaker"? No, but the measurement tell you what part of the freq range a speaker is capable of and the Bose is severely lacking! No highs, not lows and a serious gap in the middle= crappy speaker system!

#42 ·
Aside from any defense vs Bose critics I'm giving, the Acoustimass is not a very good system, and I'd stay away. The klipsch set will lack some low end impact due to a lack of subwoofer, but with a subwoofer, that system is a step up from the Bose.

#43 ·
We don't have a magnolia Best buy in Iowa City, but all the Bose systems are set up at the end of the Display shelves and away from the other speakers. The Polk, Klipsch, Pioneer and whatever other speakers they have are side by side on the shelf.

#46 ·
Between the two on sale which one is a better option? I know Klipsch is $200 cheaper but Bose has $300 discount. I am not big audiophile and just looking for a home theater setup to watch movies in the basement. I am not too concern with space saving as well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thansk

klipsch
Klipsch Synergy 50 5.0 Home Theatre System - Black sale $500 regular $600

bose
Bose Acoustimass 10 Series IV Home Entertainment Speaker System sale $700 regular $1000

Bose systems are far overpriced for what they do and how they sound. For some reason they continue to sell products at crazy high prices, and people continue to buy them. Klipsch makes great speakers, that you can't go wrong with. Like someone said earlier, the best Bose speaker isn't as good as the worst Klipsch speaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.