AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searching on the forum, but can't seem to find anyone who's directly compared Klipsch and Energy; say the Reference 25 / 35 with Take 5.2 or Con series;

Has anyone heard or analyzed directly against each other ?

I'm a Meridian nut; but I'm looking for a lower cost, but good music sound for my Dad's new set-up..

thanks for any advice...

ken

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm giving you my energy biased opinion. I love them. They make great sounding speakers at a great price and they look pretty nice too. I've got a small XL setup in a secondary system and C-9's front C-C3 center, and C-5's rear in my main system. If you can afford even the small Con's do it! Nothing against the XL series, they're also great for the $ or the Take series for that matter. The Take system is probably one of the best in that price range I'd only put a few other brands up there. There are a lot of good speakers available from lot's of companies in the range your looking in. Is there a reason you're looking specifically at the Energy's and Klipsh's? I'd look at Paradigm, PSB, B&W, Polk etc. I personally find Klipsh speakers to overblown in the top end but that's my opinion. If you like them or something else buy those. What sounds good to your ears is the best speaker for you. What are you going to be running the speakers with? How big and what kind of room? Lot's of thick carpeting and fluffy couches or tile / hardwood floor and minimal furniture? There's also lot's of reputable online speaker companies if your cofortable with that.

J.R.

·
Registered
114 Posts
These are pretty different sounding speakers. Klipsch has a bright high end, while Energy is neutral/laid-back. If you liked the sound of Klipsch, Axiom and Paradigm (to name a couple) should be more to your liking than Energy. If you liked the sound of Energy, you'd probably favor PSB (these are just the ones I've auditioned and on which I can comment).

The Takes aren't in the same league as the Klipsch Reference, IMO, so you should compare the Connoisseurs to them.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yes they are pretty different, that's probably why you don't see much info comparing them. Most people don't. And yes the Klipsh reference series is way more than the Take's, not a fair comparison.

J.R.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am actually looking at the same thing. IMO Klipsch Ref's are too bright and have a very localized sound. While Energy is very neutral and have a wide dispersion. I very much like the energy Connoisseur series better but that is my taste to the sound I like from my speakers. But I am now torn between the Energy speakers and the Definitive Tech's both have a similar sound and wide sweet spot, I just haven't been able to hear the Def's in a private room just in a open showroom. my 2 cent's

·
Registered
556 Posts
Funk,

The def's would probably have the edge in soundtracks, the energy's in music. What do you listen to more of?

J.R.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the responses. I'm trying to setup the best situation for my Dad - Based on your comments and some others...I'm eliminating the Take series.

His room is about 20x20 with a cathedral ceiling -although the listening / watching sweet spot is is only a couch size.

He'll be mostly watching movies, but also some critical music listening-

thanks again

ken

·
Registered
512 Posts
What about Ascends or Axioms? I know they're online-direct companies, but with the in-home trial period, they could be auditioned only risking the shipping costs.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
the klipsch speakers will give you a great sound for movies and they are very revealing of source material....

if movies are your thing then why not listen to the same speaker line that are in over 1/3 of all the theatres in north america....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Any opinions on Kef Q series speaker's anybody. I didnt think to try them at my local store were a bit pricey but can find them online for a respectable price from a respectable dealer. Supposed to be wide dispersion what im looking for just anybody's 2 cents. compare against Energy and Def Tech. Def Tech the frontrunner for me right now.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My new Home Theatre consists of all Energy Con's for the speakers including C-1's for fronts, C-C1 for center, and C-R3's for the rears. I also have an SVS 20-39PCi for my lows. (which kicks ass!) --- Anyways...I love the speakers. They don't only look good, they sound great. I don't know how you can really get much better than this sound. And the entire system including the SVS and shipping was $1550. Not too bad for a great sounding system. Just my 2c.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Funkenstein
Any opinions on Kef Q series speaker's anybody. I didnt think to try them at my local store were a bit pricey but can find them online for a respectable price from a respectable dealer. Supposed to be wide dispersion what im looking for just anybody's 2 cents. compare against Energy and Def Tech. Def Tech the frontrunner for me right now.
I assume your more of a movie watcher than a music listener then? Nothing against the Def's this is my opinion only but I'd say the Energy's do movies at like %98-99 of the Def's but the Def's only do music at like %90 of the Energy's. Again that's just my opinion and if your ears and wallet agree on the Def's go for it. As for kef's they're very nice as well, definitely give them a listen.

J.R.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My setup will be for 90% movies. My car is where I listen to my music. I am going to give the Kef's a try since I'm in no hurry to part with my money. I like the Energy Con's and the Def's for the same price I like the Def's have better power handling(nice for future upgrade to pre/pro and 7ch amp) the sound is so close making a hard decision on my part. Hopefully the Kef's will make it easier to chose.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I find my Klipsch References incredibly revealing and realistic in both movies AND music. However, if there is one area the Reference series excels in, it's movie reproduction. So if that is where you focus is, then the Klipsch's definately fall into your criteria.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well for %90 movies I can definitely see the Def Tech's working for you. Still give the Kef's a listen but I'd guess based on the amount of time you plan to spend watching movies the Def's will work well and probably be more affordable than the Kef's.

J.R.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nicholtl
I find my Klipsch References incredibly revealing and realistic in both movies AND music. However, if there is one area the Reference series excels in, it's movie reproduction. So if that is where you focus is, then the Klipsch's definately fall into your criteria.
Well I'd definitely agree that their strength lies in movie soundtrack reproduction. For my ears they're just to harsh though in movies and music. Again that's in my opinion. As for tubeguys comment about them being in 1/3 theatres... One, they have to fill a LARGE space with sound. In that application horns make more sense. Two, most average theatres have crappy sound sytems.

J.R.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
...most average theatres have crappy sound sytems.
Those must not be the Klipsch theaters. :D

I love the reference series. They are so efficient making them great for dynamic movie tracks. They are also both tight and accurate. Listen to them for yourself.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have listened to them myself. I find them harsh and over bright. Not to take anything away from your listening experience. If you like them then those are great speakers for you. You'd probably find my Energy's too laid back and blah. This is exactlyt why everyone should listen to speakers before they buy.

J.R.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with Aud19 Klipsch just don't do it for me I like the sound of Klipsch but in comparing it to Def's and Energy the Klipsch sound is to bright and to focused for my taste. I would love to hear a theater of Klipsch compared to a theater of Def's of Energy. I think most people would like prefer a non-klipsch theater. Most klipsch theaters are too loud and distorted and have poor recreation IMO.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.