AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm going to buy a set of computer speakers this week and I have some questions about the performance of the products of various brands. I'm looking at the Klipsch Promedia THX 2.1 and the Logitech Z-2300 and the Creative Labs ITrigue L3800. Now most of the reviewers online gave the Z-2300 the highest score, as well as many end-users. And Cnet said that the Klipsch isn't good compared even the Z-2200. Now I don't know what it is based on because they don't give the details, they always say that the Logitech speakers have a very high wattage and the subwoofer can go really loud. But does high wattage actually translate to better sound quality with more delicate music like classical and movies?

So can someone explain to me what is so great about the Z-2300, and if it's just over rated by the gamers and rock listeners who define sound quality as "if it can go very loud and boomy so people passing by across the street are bothered by the loudness". Because everywhere I look people are praising the Z-2300 as "without equals".

You can search for Cnet's reviews on the Z-2300 and Promedia THX 2.1, (Apparently I don't have enough posts to make links), they are saying that the Klipsch Promedia is just a overpriced product with an expensive brand name. Are they right?

Thanks.

·
Registered
828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEG /forum/post/0

Hi, I'm going to buy a set of computer speakers this week and I have some questions about the performance of the products of various brands. I'm looking at the Klipsch Promedia THX 2.1 and the Logitech Z-2300 and the Creative Labs ITrigue L3800. Now most of the reviewers online gave the Z-2300 the highest score, as well as many end-users. And Cnet said that the Klipsch isn't good compared even the Z-2200. Now I don't know what it is based on because they don't give the details, they always say that the Logitech speakers have a very high wattage and the subwoofer can go really loud. But does high wattage actually translate to better sound quality with more delicate music like classical and movies?

So can someone explain to me what is so great about the Z-2300, and if it's just over rated by the gamers and rock listeners who define sound quality as "if it can go very loud and boomy so people passing by across the street are bothered by the loudness". Because everywhere I look people are praising the Z-2300 as "without equals".

You can search for Cnet's reviews on the Z-2300 and Promedia THX 2.1, (Apparently I don't have enough posts to make links), they are saying that the Klipsch Promedia is just a overpriced product with an expensive brand name. Are they right?

Thanks.

My advise would be to access the user's review, rather than the staff review of CNET. I have the Promedia 4.2 THX, (basically two Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX connected into a 4.2 configuration), and my stepson has the Logitech Z-2300 installed into his computer. And as added input, I've heard the Z-2300 predecessors... IMO, The Z-2300 is not on par with the system that it replaced, (the Z-2200), let alone the Promedia 2.1 THX.

About the Promedia... Word out of Klipsch is that they will soon be discontinued. That basic multimedia speaker speaker has been around for quite some time. It has stood the test of time, held its own against newer competition, and then some. It will be sad to see it go.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsBane /forum/post/0

My advise would be to access the user's review, rather than the staff review of CNET. I have the Promedia 4.2 THX, (basically two Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX connected into a 4.2 configuration), and my stepson has the Logitech Z-2300 installed into his computer. And as added input, I've heard the Z-2300 predecessors... IMO, The Z-2300 is not on par with the system that it replaced, (the Z-2200), let alone the Promedia 2.1 THX.

About the Promedia... Word out of Klipsch is that they will soon be discontinued. That basic multimedia speaker speaker has been around for quite some time. It has stood the test of time, held its own against newer competition, and then some. It will be sad to see it go.

Thanks for the help. So the Promedia was made in 2000 and none of the new models from the other brands (perhaps with new technology?) like the I-trigue L3800 and Z-2300 can surpass it? Can you explain to me why is this?

And why are they discontinuing the Promedia? Are they going to introduce new models to replace them or are they just not making PC speakers anymore?

Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
One of my friends has the Klipsch Promedia THX 2.1 setup, another has a Logitech similar to the set you're looking at. I always thought the Logitech sounded terrible. The crossover on the subwoofer was ridiculously high, probably 200-300hz. The other speakers weren't very impressive and had a dull tone. The Klipsch, on the other hand, seemed to have the sub crossover set to reasonable levels, and the bass from the sub was tighter. The speakers were more dynamic and impressive, probably due to the horns.

Of course, these are computer speakers we're talking about. You might just want to go with whatever is the best value.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So are the Klipsch speakers the best computer speakers available?

And what kind of soundcard would it require to take full advantage of the Klipsch speakers? Is the Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS good enough? What kind of systems do you use to play music the high end speakers? Are PC sound cards as good as any other system out there?

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:

So are the Klipsch speakers the best computer speakers available?

And what kind of soundcard would it require to take full advantage of the Klipsch speakers? Is the Creative Labs Audigy 2ZS good enough? What kind of systems do you use to play music the high end speakers? Are PC sound cards as good as any other system out there?

I've used the Promedia 2.1 for several years with good results. I'm using a Creative Labs Audigy NX external card (and that one isn't even the best on the market by far).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr /forum/post/0

I've used the Promedia 2.1 for several years with good results. I'm using a Creative Labs Audigy NX external card (and that one isn't even the best on the market by far).

Is it the audigy 2NX or audigyNX?

So is it like that you don't need a very good player, but the speakers are more important? (ie. average soundblaster cards are good enough for music playing even with good speakers)

·
Registered
292 Posts
My father uses the Klipsch TXH 2.1 for music (he is a professional musician but not an audiophile) and the wireless Logitech 5.1 (Z5450?) system for his surround sound system. Both systems are in his small media room and he likes the small form factor of both systems (compared to the active monitors in his office). The wireless are necessary for the rears of the 5.1 system due to the construction of the room.

Don't really know if that helps.

I do like the way the Klipsch system sounds for music.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll go with the Klipsch. Are the THX 2.1 the best 2.1 PC speakers out there? Or is there another level of products (PC) out there?

And I'm interested in information for the playing devices, are pc sound cards (what I use) good enough for any speaker? Or do good speakers also need more "specialized" devices?

Thanks.

·
Registered
828 Posts

Quote:

I'll go with the Klipsch. Are the THX 2.1 the best 2.1 PC speakers out there? Or is there another level of products (PC) out there?

And I'm interested in information for the playing devices, are pc sound cards (what I use) good enough for any speaker? Or do good speakers also need more "specialized" devices?

Thanks.

There are certainly other computer speakers out there, for sure, that have a following. Monsoon for one.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I've had the Klipsch and Logitech and to my ears the Klipsch was the better sounding setup but not by a lot. The Logitech sound better when fed a digital signal. (I'm speaking of the Z5500 - I don't know if the one's you're looking at take a digital signal)

If these are your only two options then I would suggest the Klipsch but they both are seriously lacking in the midrang and midbass area - not to mention the lower base area where they both have plenty of output but little to no accuracy. The good news is that both can easily fill a small room with little to no distortion and they are inexpensive.

If you buy both you could always return the ones you like the least.

You could always buy a used reciever and some inexpensive bookshelves and have a much better sounding system if you have the room.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Quote:

There are digital speakers? Which 2.1 PC speakers are digital? Are they like LCDs where the signal doesn't get distorted through transmission?

Digital is nothing like that. I don't want to confuse you but just to keep it simple--if you have a sound card, it doesn't really make much of a difference between digital and analog with PC speakers. And none of the 2.1s are digital anyway.

As for your other question, in the $100-140 range, Klipsch 2.1 PM, Logitech Z-2300, and the Altec Lansing MX5021s are IMO the best speakers. Technically speaking the MX5021s are the best (1" tweeter, dual 3" mids, and 6.5" subwoofer) although you have to listen to all the speakers to determine which one you like the best.

Technically the Logitech is the worst with just a single 3" midrange driver. At this price range the drivers are pretty much all similar enough so the more the merrier--especially having a tweeter helps. (In HT speakers the tweeter handles a huge chunk of frequencies, pretty much the entire midrange. You don't usually see a 3" driver asked to do all that, so Logitech's decision to do so is purely in terms of saving money).

There are of course, much better speakers if you increase your budget say $50 or more. Every increment provides increasingly better speakers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by frumper15 /forum/post/0

You could go with a higher quality type of monitor like these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16836136102

You might be happier in the long run

Doesn't seem to have subwoofers? And Swan is kind of hard to find in my area.

Quote:
As for your other question, in the $100-140 range, Klipsch 2.1 PM, Logitech Z-2300, and the Altec Lansing MX5021s are IMO the best speakers. Technically speaking the MX5021s are the best (1" tweeter, dual 3" mids, and 6.5" subwoofer) although you have to listen to all the speakers to determine which one you like the best.

Hmm... From what I hear the Altec Lansing speakers are some of the poor ones in the brands and the Logitech is the best. I guess the reviewers from like Cnet and PC magazines have crappy standards for sound quality.

Thanks for your recommendations, do you have any opinion on the Creative Labs speakers particularly this one:

I-Trigue L3800

Thanks.

P.S. The MX 5021 is discontinued, do you mean the FX 6021?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually checked with the stores today and none of them have the Klipsch speakers anymore. So how is the L3800s?

The logitech Z-2300 has the "aluminum phase plug" for the drivers, does that make a difference?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Not long ago the Promedia 2.1 THX were still available at Best Buy, Circuit City, and Comp USA. Best Buy had the best price, (under $150)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'll just get the L3800, I already called every store.

So to confirm this the logitech Z-2300 is low quality despite being of a very high voltage right? The 1 driver subs are inferior to the other ones with more drivers and tweeter right?

Logitech says they use the aluminum phase plug, does that make a difference?

·
Registered
934 Posts
OEG, have you listened to these speakers? Even at Best Buy you can listen to their computer speakers and make a judgement for yourself. You seem overly concerned about what everyone else thinks and why they think it. Check them out for yourself and buy the ones you like best. If they all sound good buy the cheapest, or the one that looks the best, or whatever.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.