AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a HTIB for my living room (14x18) and the more I read the more choices pop up. I'm totally a newbie and have no idea how to pick the right one for my family. This is mostly use for movie, sometime gaming and maybe karaoke. So far I have these 3 in mind but additional suggestions are very welcome.

Klipsch HD 500 + Onkyo TX-SR508(or similar) (sometime newegg has this deal for 600)

Onkyo S6300 (or S5300 is enough?)

Polk Audio RM6750 + Onkyo TX-SR508(or similar)

My budget is around $600 which they all fall into.

I hear good thing about Energy Take Classic 5.1 5.1CH Premium Home Theater System also. Is it worth the extra compare to the above 3?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quite satisfied by Klipsch HT 500 as movie speakers.

I just bought Klipsch HT 500, with Yamaha V567 receiver, at $600 from newegg.

My room is 12 X 25 in the basement. My projector is Acer H5360, $480 from newegg, but I cannot get refund if I do not like that.

I would say the projector at $480 is gorgeous, even on my "linen-white" bare wall. The Yamaha receiver is also very impressive, very easy to auto-calibrate the speakers.

As for the speakers, it is tricky. Everyone can tell that speakers are the most expensive piece in home theater, and improve very little through this years. Compare to my 20-year old $1,000/pair NHT 2.5T, I realized that you get what you pay for in terms of speakers, and no major improvement in decades.

The movie sounds great. Even piano and saxphone in Fantasia 2000 sounds very realistic. 007 movie sound very real, with good sound image.

However, the symphonies come out very muddy. So you cannot get symphony speakers for free out of this HT speakers.

So I am quite satisfied with this Klipsch HD 500/Yamaha V567 combo at $600. I want a receiver that has auto-calibration and is future-proof.

The only question is, will other packages with lower cost deliver the same level of audio quality? Well, I think $600 is a fair price. It is not worth the time and energy to do a too wide search. I will just enjoy what I have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts