AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I've been trying to decide what speaker setup to get for quite some time.

I've auditioned the Klipsch F-1 and they sound great to me, however I'd like to compare them to the Wharfedale diamond 9.4 speakers. The problem here is the Wharfdale's are an ebay auction, and I cannot find a local dealer to audition them.

can anyone give me some descriptions on how they compare to the Klipsch?

·
Registered
807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_musician /forum/post/18175164

They're night and day different, almost exact auditory opposites. In fact if they touch, they destroy each other in a violent explosion.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S /forum/post/18175229

They're night and day different, almost exact auditory opposites. In fact if they touch, they destroy each other in a violent explosion.

can you be a little more specific?

which would you recommend and why?

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
They are pretty much in the same class. The F-1 is a bit more efficient. But the big difference is the tweeter. The F-1 has a horn tweeter with an aluminum diaphragm. The Diamond 9.4 has a textile dome tweeter. If you like the sound of the F-1, I think you would prefer it to the Diamond 9.4. People who don't like horn tweeters would probably prefer the Diamond 9.4.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm /forum/post/18175260

They are pretty much in the same class. The F-1 is a bit more efficient. But the big difference is the tweeter. The F-1 has a horn tweeter with an aluminum diaphragm. The Diamond 9.4 has a textile dome tweeter. If you like the sound of the F-1, I think you would prefer it to the Diamond 9.4. People who don't like horn tweeters would probably prefer the Diamond 9.4.

am I right in assuming they're of similar quality, but voiced differently?

which of the two would sound more bassy, and which would be more mellow sounding?

thanks for your responses so far.

·
Registered
487 Posts
As someone who has owned both Klispch and now Wharfedale, I can give you my take. I had a Klipsch RF15 5.1 system and last year, sold it for a Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 5.1 system. While not the exact models you are considering, the lines are similar and I can comment as follows.

The Klipsch were great home theater speakers, but for my tastes, not suited for extended music listening. They were extremely dynamic and loud, no doubt due to their high efficency, but I found them shrill and overly bright. Also, the low end was not as strong as I like and they did require a sub.

The Wharfedale Diamonds, again I have the 9.6's, were very muscial. I would say they were built for music first, movies second. The soft dome tweeter provides a very smooth high end but what is most surprising is their bass response. Very tight providing a solid bass foundation and for music , I never use my sub. They are however not as efficient (-6 Db less I believe), nominal 6 ohm speaker so they also require a little more power. Mine thrive on 125 watts of high cuuernt power from a Parasound 2125. After a year, I am still astounded every time I listen them, especially the bass response.

So a lot depends on what you are going to use them for - music or home theater. It also depends on your amplification as the Wharfedales will require more than the Klipsch to really start singing. Hope this helps in your decision.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_musician /forum/post/18175298

am I right in assuming they're of similar quality, but voiced differently?

That would be a good way to put it.

Quote:
which of the two would sound more bassy, and which would be more mellow sounding?

The overall frequency response of the two is very similar. And the bottom end is provided by ported/bass reflex 6.5" woofers in both. Up to the crossover frequency at around 2000 Hz, at the same volume, I don't think you would notice a difference. The difference in tweeters is what will determine the difference in timbre. As noted above, some folks find horn tweeters too hot and prefer something a little more toned down on the high end. That will make the whole system sound more bassy, or more mellow. But you should be able to get louder bass out of the F-1 because it is more efficient and has a similar power rating.

If you want to cover the traditional full audio range, down to 20 Hz, you will need a sub with either. But it is really not necessary. I lived with quality speakers that were 3 dB down at 60 Hz for many years. I still have them, plus a sub. But I only use the sub for movies or the rare audio recording that really calls for it. If your tastes run to audio with significant sound below 40 Hz, though, you will want a sub with either.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Honestly I prefer Klipsch to Wharfdale any day of the week due to personal experience and preference.

I like Klipsch speakers for their ultra high dynamic range. Get a full Klipsch theater package and prepare for a fun ride. I also think with proper gear they can be very musical. Brightness only comes into play when not so good gear gets used or a bad sonic match. Klipch THX line of home theater speakers are amazing. One of the very best sound home theater experiences I have ever had. I really could go on and on about what I like about Klipsch and all the models I favor over the years.

Wharfdale speaker I have yet to hear a pair I like. They seem like cheap off brand speakers when I listen and install them. Cabinet quality and sound reproduction always seems to lack for me. I don't like them for theater and hate them for music. I recently did what I thought was going to be an ok sounding Wharfdale system one of my customers purchased on his own. I don't remember the model numbers but they where a 2 tone cabinet , front of them where maple and the backs where black. They kinda looked pretty cool and nice looking tower designed speakers but when I turned them on , calibrated them for both 2 channel listening and theater they sounded aweful. I don't really care for Paradigm Monitor series floor standing speakers but I would rather have a full Monitor system then these Wharfdale models.

Remember this is my personal opinion of these 2 companies. Your opinion maybe very different or the same. Without hearing and comparing them for yourself , I can't really tell you which one is better and why.

Price can alter anyones decision to buy one way or another. But in the end buying something based on price will most likely lead you to the wrong speaker. If you like the Klipsch speakers then listen to everything in their price class and around and see if they are your favorite. I can make a few suggestions on brands I think sound wonderful for the money and you can go check them out.

B&W , they make great entry level to extreme high end speakers that most will find pleasing on the ear as well as on the eye. Their quality fit and finish is 2nd to no one. Sound quality wise they can suck you into the music and make you forget you are listening to speakers and not a performance. This is true from their bottom end to the top of the line. Must listen no matter what you want. They make all their speakers music and movie ready. I think it's their balance. They are a music first company but they never lack when it comes to theater reproduction. I love them.

Polk Audio they are just a solid fantastic company and anyone listening to anything should demo their speakers. For bang for the buck they are extremely hard to beat. All their speakers are quality and well built. Sound quality wise they give you more then what they want on the price tag. Very comparable to Klipsch for theater reproduction, they can keep up for the most part except their LSI line. The LSI line is more for music as they tend to lack in dynamic range. They are harder to drive speakers in 4 ohm load and 87db range so higher power amps are required to try and use them for both duties. All of their other lines are built for easy loads and high SPL.

Companies like Paradigm and Definitive make excellent speakers up and down their lines. Bass is what both of these companies excel at , especially Paradigm. Their subs are probably some of the very best in the business. Can't really go wrong for quality vs price ratio.

So really I suggest getting out there and talking to local Hi fi shops and getting as many demo's as you can. I honestly can see you being happy with Klipsch as you already noted you liked what you heard. Drive them with the best receiver or separates your wallet can afford and prepare for a long time of satisfying experiences. With those speakers F1 series I suggest a Pioneer Elite vsx 21txh.

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 /forum/post/18176606

Honestly I prefer Klipsch to Wharfdale any day of the week due to personal experience and preference.

Wharfdale speaker I have yet to hear a pair I like.

Yet, in eight paragraphs (and one sentence) you fail to mention and identify one single Wharfedale Series or model.

You have no problem identifying some Klipsch and Paradigm models/Series. And you even throw out some more brand names.

But in all your own personal experience with Wharfedale (allegedly enough experience to annoint yourself a legitimate judge and advice giver), you can't come up with one single Wharfedale model number or Series to mention; in your across the board, all encompassing generalizational comments/criticisms of all things Wharfedale.

I find that rather comical. I suspect dvd_musician will see right through it and find it equally comical.

·
Registered
985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_musician /forum/post/18175164

Hi guys

I've been trying to decide what speaker setup to get for quite some time.

I've auditioned the Klipsch F-1 and they sound great to me, however I'd like to compare them to the Wharfedale diamond 9.4 speakers. The problem here is the Wharfdale's are an ebay auction, and I cannot find a local dealer to audition them.

The truth is, you have to get out and try to audition these speakers for yourself.

Let your own ears make the choice.

You're going to have a difficult time finidng a dealer who has the Wharfedale Diamond 9 Series (and the Diamond 9.4) in their store for auditioning. They have been discontinued and are basically only available from a few on-line retailers on clearance. But if you have your heart set on them, try the "Official Wharfedale Owners " thread here at AVS (use the search function to find it) and see if someone who owns them, lives near you and is willing to let you audition them. Otherwise, you may want to consider something else.

As far as sound goes. The Wharfedale 9.4 and Klipsch F-1 are polar opposites.

The Wharfedale a bit more laid back and warmer. Dynamics are okay, but certainly nothing to brag about. The Diamond 9.5 are better than the 9.4.

The Klipsch F-1 more forward, brighter and more in your face; than the 9.4.

You have to realize both speakers are lower end representatives of their respective manufactors. So there are compromises. The 9.4 cabinets are, in my opinion, much better and more solid. The Klipsch F-1's cabs are rather shoddy, if you ask me. But they're both on the cheaper side of things.

Klipsch makes some exceptional speakers, buit like most manufactors who produce a dozen or two models to address alll the different price points and quality levels; they have some real cr*p in their lower level series and even a cr*ppy model or two in their upper levels. And their brightness is not exclusive to components feeding them. They are bright and some models rather harsh and difficult to listen to for long periods of time. Some people like them, some do not.

Paradigm is no different. The Signature Series speakers are outstanding. As are some of the Studio Series. But their lower level stuff (especially the Monitor Series ) are terrible sounding, to my ears.

Same for B&W speakers. Some exceptional speakers. And a lot of horrid sounding cr*p, too.

Funny thing is. Contrary to the knuckleball ball Mantis10 is trying to throw past you. Many people who are not B&W Speaker owners and lovers. Feel that a lot of B&W speakers fail to convey the heart, soul and essence of the music.

Those not in love with B&W (such as myself) find a sad lack of musicality and musical soul in the B&W.

But that's just personal preferences and tastes. We all hear things a little different.

And you have your own tastes. Whether or not you've discovered what they are, yet. I don't know. Go audition for yourself and let your ears decide.

FYI. Polk Audio, Definitive ......same thing. Some excelllent speakers and some horror shows.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all the replies

I can see that it is a personal choice, and there's always going to be a degree of rival views.

My main problem is there isn't anywhere close (or even a fair distance) to audition alot of speakers. We have very limited availability of even the more comon brands, and all I've managed to audition are the crappy sony/panasonic htib kits, some Dalis and klipsch. The latter two both sounded fantastic.

I mainly ask because like you say, the diamonds are on end of line sales which make them more afordable, so before I take a leap I wanted some opinions on what they sound like, and I'm starting to realise they're less bright than the klipsch. Are they more similar to Dali in terms of sound?

one last question, which may seem odd, but which would sound best at low volumes? I'm guessing the klipsch because theyre more efficient but I'm no expert.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_musician /forum/post/18179234

thanks for all the replies

I can see that it is a personal choice, and there's always going to be a degree of rival views.

My main problem is there isn't anywhere close (or even a fair distance) to audition alot of speakers. We have very limited availability of even the more comon brands, and all I've managed to audition are the crappy sony/panasonic htib kits, some Dalis and klipsch. The latter two both sounded fantastic.

I mainly ask because like you say, the diamonds are on end of line sales which make them more afordable, so before I take a leap I wanted some opinions on what they sound like, and I'm starting to realise they're less bright than the klipsch. Are they more similar to Dali in terms of sound?

one last question, which may seem odd, but which would sound best at low volumes? I'm guessing the klipsch because theyre more efficient but I'm no expert.

Which Dali's? IMO people who like B&W & Dali's will likely enjoy Wharfedale.

Ron

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldoCombs /forum/post/18179251

Which Dali's? IMO people who like B&W & Dali's will likely enjoy Wharfedale.

Ron

concept 6

here's how they price up at the minute:

dali concept 6 - $3800

klipsch f-1 - $2700

Wharfedale 9.5 - $2000

I don't think the Dali's are that much better than the klipsch for the price.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboroth00 /forum/post/18179540

If you get Klipsch, get the reference series not the F-#.

The reference series are like $6000

That's abit out of my range (in fact, it's double my budget)

·
Registered
29,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvd_musician /forum/post/18179873

The reference series are like $6000

That's abit out of my range (in fact, it's double my budget)

Where does the OP live? Certainly not the USA?

·
Registered
799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjMV3 /forum/post/18176925

Yet, in eight paragraphs (and one sentence) you fail to mention and identify one single Wharfedale Series or model.

You have no problem identifying some Klipsch and Paradigm models/Series. And you even throw out some more brand names.

But in all your own personal experience with Wharfedale (allegedly enough experience to annoint yourself a legitimate judge and advice giver), you can't come up with one single Wharfedale model number or Series to mention; in your across the board, all encompassing generalizational comments/criticisms of all things Wharfedale.

I find that rather comical. I suspect dvd_musician will see right through it and find it equally comical.

I assume from your reply , you are calling me a lier correct? I have worked around Wharfedale speakers many times. None of the companies I have worked for carried their lines and is the reason why I know not a single model number nor care to.The few jobs I had with them where purchased by my customer prior to me being on site. Once I have listened to a few pairs I decided I'm not impressed nor have any passion to research them. Next time I'm at my last customers house who owns them and likes them I will gladly get you model numbers if it matters.I do know they where 2 toned black wood finish with a maple or beechwood trim. Nice looking to say the least. All other brands I have listed I have years and years of experience and find them to offer good quality products at their price points.

I didn't realize I had to be the "allegedly enough experience to annoint yourself a legitimate judge and advice giver" of all things Wharfedale to give an opinion of what I have heard with different gear in different rooms. I assume you are a legitimate judge and advice giver of all things wharfedale so why don't you school me on my short coming. I'm sorry I only have 32 years experience personal and 11+ years as a professional. Allow me to step aside and allow the expert to give advise on speakers.

·
Registered
205 Posts

Quote:

Wow, that's a hell of a flame for someone just giving an opinion. Do you own Wharfedale's or something? It's obvious everyone likes different things. From silk domes to horns to ribbons! Find what YOU like and narrow it down. If the original poster liked Klipsch he will not like Wharfedales IMO. Whatever you do, do not buy them without hearing them first.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts