AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Please do not kill me for asking, just trying to find a well-substantiated reply :)

I have got a pair of Klipschorns that I dreamed of for quite some time, but here's the problem: I am putting them in a large, cubic room (approx. 20 x 20 x 20 feet), but the room has got no usable corners. That is, I can place them along a wall, but there is a stairway entrance on one side, and the room is connected to another area on the other. So there are no side walls to place the speakers as required, i.e. into corners, as far as the Klipschorn cabinets do not have side walls, and room walls are supposed to close the woofer area.

I can currently see two solutions:

1. The most obvious: Build mini-walls on the speaker sides. I have nothing against it, but I am still wondering is there a convincing reason why option 2 can't be used:

2. Why not cover the "bare" side (the one not pushed against the wall) with plywood and glue or otherwise attach it to the speaker? What is the real big difference of putting it against a wall (same sheetrock) vs. attaching thick plywood to the side?

Thanks a lot for your eductaed opinions and kind help!

Leo

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoGl /forum/post/19525630

Hello,

Please do not kill me for asking, just trying to find a well-substantiated reply :)

I have got a pair of Klipschorns that I dreamed of for quite some time, but here's the problem: I am putting them in a large, cubic room (approx. 20 x 20 x 20 feet), but the room has got no usable corners. That is, I can place them along a wall, but there is a stairway entrance on one side, and the room is connected to another area on the other. So there are no side walls to place the speakers as required, i.e. into corners, as far as the Klipschorn cabinets do not have side walls, and room walls are supposed to close the woofer area.

I can currently see two solutions:

1. The most obvious: Build mini-walls on the speaker sides. I have nothing against it, but I am still wondering is there a convincing reason why option 2 can't be used:

2. Why not cover the "bare" side (the one not pushed against the wall) with plywood and glue or otherwise attach it to the speaker? What is the real big difference of putting it against a wall (same sheetrock) vs. attaching thick plywood to the side?

Thanks a lot for your eductaed opinions and kind help!

Leo

The side is wear the bass "extends" they need to be on corners or you need to build false walls... you can seal the very back but the side are part of the bass..

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
You can seal the back if you want. The 60th Anniversary Klipschorns were made like that and several people have reported doing it (some with reversible methods) on the Klipsch forums. But you still need a false wall of 4 feet for best results, i.e. some extension past the opening is required to complete the horn.

I once used a 1 1/5 inch thick table top from Ikea to form a corner with the back wall and it worked pretty well. It was leaning against some other piece of furniture on the other side so wasn't fixed.

Something like:

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S79837488

Be sure to use something like pipe foam insulation from the hardware store to seal the speakers into the corners.

BTW, a Klipschorn-based HT rocks with dynamics, if that's what you are doing (also great for stereo music of course!).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts