AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I auditioned some floorstanding speakers. I used the same CD and track across all of them. When I auditioned the Klipsch RF-10 and RF-62 the one thing that got my attention the most was the midrange - especially male vocals. It was a little too forward. It was quite pronounced and infact slightly bloated or resonating. What I would like to do is confirm if what I heard was indeed real or there could have probably been some setup issue ? I did ask the salesperson to make sure it was in pure 2ch mode - no sub and eq and stuff.

So is my observation about these speakers correct ? or you think there must have been some other issue ?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode /forum/post/16996184

Recently I auditioned some floorstanding speakers. I used the same CD and track across all of them. When I auditioned the Klipsch RF-10 and RF-62 the one thing that got my attention the most was the midrange - especially male vocals. It was a little too forward. It was quite pronounced and infact slightly bloated or resonating. What I would like to do is confirm if what I heard was indeed real or there could have probably been some setup issue ? I did ask the salesperson to make sure it was in pure 2ch mode - no sub and eq and stuff.

So is my observation about these speakers correct ? or you think there must have been some other issue ?

This is so hard to qualify. No idea of the room, the equipment used to drive them or what have you. What were they being compared to?

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Plus, different recordings of the same artist can sound very different. I have some CDs thta sound fine on my living room system but don't sound very good on my more revealing Klipsch system.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Don't know what the room was like but when auditioning recently I noticed the same kind of thing you speak of. Both my wife and I noticed the mid was just not right no matter what we tried to listen to. But hey that is just our opinion and no I don't think you missed anything. Just like any speaker some like them some don't. I just don't think anyone can say a speaker is revealing if they weren't present for the original recording. How does one know what they should be hearing if they weren't present at time of recording? Let your ears be the judge if you don't like them don't worry keep looking till you find one you do. I know when my wife and I auditioned speakers we always take live recordings from concerts we attended ourselves. Granted "audio memory" may be short you still have a good idea what the music should sound like.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode /forum/post/16996184

Perhaps you were hearing distortions of the room itself. We don't know if the room is professionally treated or not. The dealer could be guilty of randomly throwing up a few sound panels for all we know. Nothing bad to say about Klipsch, but what you are hearing might be the nature of the speaker. Can you take them home for a try?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Back when I was auditioning speakers, when I first heard the Klipsch RF-7's (an earlier rendition similar to the 62's I believe), I thought I enjoyed their "revealing" nature as so many Klipsch heads love to call them. After I auditioned a couple of dozen other high end speakers in the $2K per pair range (well, high end for me at the time anyway) and went back for a second audition with the same reference material, to the very same store, listened to the exact same pair of speakers sitting in the same spot, hooked up to the same Denon receiver.... and in about 10 minutes I was completely through. That bright, in your face high mids and treble was too much to take. My ears were actually starting to hurt.

So, what you describe sounds nearly identical to what I heard after extensive auditioning and becoming accustomed to a sound signature that I really enjoyed. So, no.... I don't think it was distortion, the gear, the room or any other excuse. I think that maybe like me and many others, you are just more sensitive to their natural tendency to be bright and forward in their upper frequencies. Which is too bad really, because on almost all of my reference recordings, I really thought they did a superb job in the lower midbass on down.

That's why it's important to audition, audition and audition some more until you find the type of sound that you prefer. All of us hear things differently and end up liking different sound signatures or sonic qualities. One mans cavier is anothers fish bait.

Trust your ears.... it's the only thing that matters in the end.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I listened to them at Ultimate Electronics - at two of their stores, just to rule out the possiblity that one could be a setup/room issue. And both the stores had quite different room types.

The first store had a really large room with a 5 or 6 different home theater setups/demonstrations. One of those setups had a RF-62 as fronts and one had the RF-10. I believe they were powered by Denon and Yamaha receivers and players - dont know the exact models but I guess that shouldn't matter.

The second store had the RF-62s in a smaller room and the RF-10 in large open area.

But for the small band of frequencies that are in question(low-mid to mid) I doubt if room sizes would matter that much - unless very small, which was not the case.

I listened to Paradigm Monitor 7 and 9 also twice in the same exercise(ofcourse same cd, same track) and the voice range felt right - not recessed nor pronounced.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Then skip 'em.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts