AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I observed that KNBC's digital channel in Los Angeles has been off the air for a few days. I called the station and they told me they are "updating it. It will be back up in a couple of days."

I hope this means that the rumors of more HD in the fall on NBC are true and they are making serious changes so that they can do a great job.

Rick

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thanks for checking up on that Rick. I noticed that too and was a little worried that they just decided to pull the plug. Whom did you contact at the station? I would like to call him/her as well so that they don't ever get the idea that no one is watching their digital feed. Everyone should do the same.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called the general station telephone number listed in the telephone directory (818)840-4444 and talked to the operator that answered. I too called just to let then know that the audience is watching.

Rick

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is one of the reasons I love this forum. Had a new ant put up last week and ch 4 was great. Went to record on it this week and it was gone. Was about to call the ant installer. Saves me a problem. Thankss

------------------

James

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Supposed to be back up at 12:01 A.M. 03/19/01. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm nervous about what may be going out.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Leno is an HDTV owner, and gets the feed of his own show from KNBC. I doubt he'd allow them (and he does have power in NBC) to drop their one regular HD broadcast in favour of multicasting or something like that.

There is a press release

http://www.3dss.com/press/pr906.html

from April 2000 that NBC will be upgrading to Dolby E and Dolby Digital 5.1, and that Dolby would be assisting it's affiliates in the upgrades. Its just speculation, but upgrading the entire audio infrastructure could easily take 10 days.

Tony

·
Registered
68 Posts
Let's hope more HD is on the way from NBC. So far, it's a crying shame that the network first with color and stereo is letting CBS walk all over them with HD. I'm watching CBS. What about you???

By the way, can anyone tell us why only the 11:35p Leno is telecast in HD format? The wee hours Leno reruns are only in SD. This certainly seems strange to me. They own the show. They already have it in HD on tape. So, this seems to indicate that a "lack of HD programs" is NOT the only problem.

Maybe NBC still thinks that no one is watching in HD, particularly at that hour? Have they checked this forum, lately? Or, does NBC only pay attention to calls they get at their telephone switchboard? If so, that certainly seems like the wrong approach to me. "Early adopters" are probably going to be pretty Internet savvy. They're going to use forums like this one much more often than to wait on hold to talk with a non-technical telephone operator.

Why doesn't KNBC put up a web page for announcements and viewer feedback on their HDTV? I bet they would be surprised to find that many more people are watching their DTV station than they expect.

I had my cable disconnected a couple of months ago and now rely completely on KNBC-DT for my NBC. It's far superior to cable or DBS.

Bruce Graham

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
As of 03/16/01, 7:24 P.M. PST, KNBC (36-2/4-2) digital video and audio feeds of the standard evening programming is back up!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the KNBC-DT signal is much stronger now? At my location in Santa Clarita, they are easily 15% stronger (on an indoor antenna) than before they went off the air for a week and are now by far the strongest DTV signal I am getting.

Also, did anyone notice that KNBC-DT was airing a *normal* 4:3 aspect earlier today, instead of their previous "Stretch-O-Vision"? A normal 4:3 with side-mattes in a 16:9 upconversion certainly looks much better on my equipment, both in HD and SD, than what they were doing before, when not airing true HD. And with this approach, a downconversion to SD using my DTC-100 no longer forces me to stay in letterbox to avoid loosing massive amounts of the image on all sides. In fact, now I can set the DTC-100 to 16:9 Crop and the image fits just right on a 4:3 SD downconversion. That's perfect for time shifting on SD equipment!

Thank you, KNBC!!!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Graham:
Has anyone noticed that the KNBC-DT signal is much stronger now? At my location in Santa Clarita, they are easily 15% stronger (on an indoor antenna) than before they went off the air for a week and are now by far the strongest DTV signal I am getting.

Also, did anyone notice that KNBC-DT was airing a *normal* 4:3 aspect earlier today, instead of their previous "Stretch-O-Vision"? A normal 4:3 with side-mattes in a 16:9 upconversion certainly looks much better on my equipment, both in HD and SD, than what they were doing before, when not airing true HD. And with this approach, a downconversion to SD using my DTC-100 no longer forces me to stay in letterbox to avoid loosing massive amounts of the image on all sides. In fact, now I can set the DTC-100 to 16:9 Crop and the image fits just right on a 4:3 SD downconversion. That's perfect for time shifting on SD equipment!

Thank you, KNBC!!!

Your welcome, Bruce http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

No, I'm not NBC. But I called them this afternoon and asked them to go back to 4:3 for SD. I explained to them that the upcoming software update for the Dish 6000 would allow us to stretch, zoom, etc., a 1080i or 720p signal, so it was time to broadcast material in it's correct aspect ratio and let the user and his equipment decided how to handle the display. It sounded like the majority of viewers had requested NBC to return to 4:3 for 4:3 material, and the engineer I talked to was happy to make the change. He did it while I was on the phone with him.

Thanks, NBC.

Jerry

------------------

(The original Jerry G, not the new member named Jerry_G)

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jerry. Would you please call KABC and get them to do the same? With the streached picture, all the women on the Academy Awards looked fat on the KABC digital channel so I had to switch to analog.

Rick

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R:
Thanks Jerry. Would you please call KABC and get them to do the same? With the streached picture, all the women on the Academy Awards looked fat on the KABC digital channel so I had to switch to analog.

Rick
You sure it wasn't a shot of Camryn Mannheim?

(SORRY SORRY SORRY! I couldn't resist!)

Seriously though, I preferred the 16x9 presentation on KNBC because I didn't think it was stretched, but rather zoomed. Am I off on this?

[This message has been edited by RSongco (edited 03-26-2001).]

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R:

Rick
I thought about calling ABC and then thought about all the other times I've called ABC and felt very frustrated. While every other station is easy to reach the engineers have been very pleasant, I can't say the same thing for ABC, whom I've pretty much given up on. Maybe later this week I'll have the strength to give it a shot.

Jerry

------------------

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RSongco:

Seriously though, I preferred the 16x9 presentation on KNBC because I didn't think it was stretched, but rather zoomed. Am I off on this?

[This message has been edited by RSongco (edited 03-26-2001).]
You really prefer a zoomed picture with thin side bars over a 4:3 picture that you'll soon be able to stretch, zoom, etc. with the next Dish 6000 software update? Why would you want the station to determine how you'll see 4:3 material when you can make that decision for yourself based upon your own personal preferences?

Jerry

------------------

·
Registered
134 Posts
But how about those of us with Directv receivers? I don't have the ability to stretch a 480p pics, so I am stuck with the 4:3 with black bar on my HD100. I personally would prefer the zoom mode.

------------------

CC

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl:
But how about those of us with Directv receivers? I don't have the ability to stretch a 480p pics, so I am stuck with the 4:3 with black bar on my HD100. I personally would prefer the zoom mode.
It's time for the DirecTV enabled boxes to give control to the user as Dish is doing. The zoom mode on KNBC cuts off a significant amount of the picture and doesn't even go far enough to completely fill the screen. They left thin side bars. If burn is a concern, the bars are still there. Why else would you want to fill the screen when watching 4:3 network material if not to avoid burn in?

In any case, it looks like KNBC will keep the 4:3 mode. They had a number of calls requesting a return to 4:3, more so than those which favored the partial zoom. KTLA looks like they will keep their partial zoom with thin side bars and I won't watch KTLA.

------------------

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.