AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Wow Chaluga wasted no time putting those cabs together for you. Awesome! You have your amp yet? You should have these things up and running pretty quick as long as the drivers don't take too long.

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
bear123 said:
You have your amp yet?
Not yet. When I hear from Mark @ iST that the parts are in and the two drivers for me are a 'go', I'll order:
- an amp (an NU6000 or NU6000DSP);
- Speakon cables;
- a couple of fans for the mod; and
- misc connectors (such as RCA-to-Speakon, to connect the miniDSP to the amp).

And, locally, I'll pick up some DuraTex.

:)

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
laugsbach said:
eljay, when you start talking DuraTex...well, now you are really in the DIY/AIY club! :)
Thanks. Although, at this point, I'm the new farmer whose work clothes are still clean and freshly-pressed and whose hands don't have a callus on them. ;)

laugsbach said:
I am looking forward to your thoughts on your new system...
Me too. :) I'll post pics and comments as things proceed.

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Hooo-ahh, the cabinets have arrived! :D Pics here.

Exceptional packing job by Donny: Each cabinet was protected by a top and bottom plywood plate, strapping around the sides, thick cardboard edge protectors along each vertical edge, and 2-3 layers of corrugated cardboard all around. Impressive! :cool:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Great thread Eljay! I have always wondered about DIY myself, but I too lack the wood working skills, tools, and patience for it. :) I am curious to see your impressions once this is all said and done. So far it looks like you are in for a real treat. :cool:

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
@laugsbach : Mark (iST) said there was a ~2 week turn-around time on orders, so I should have the drivers before the end of the month.

@FattyMcButterPants : I'm hoping to sand the cabinets and do a first coat of primer this coming weekend. (Such lofty expectations! ;) ) I'll post pics of my distaster handiwork as things progress. :)

·
Premium Member
10,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
The cabinets have been sanded and primed! Pics here

It was actually kinda fun doing the work. :) (Of course, it helps that chaluga took care of all the coarse sanding before shipping the cabs.)

The Olympic Icon primer went on nice and easy. I bought a gallon and used less than 1/3 of it. From the looks of it, I won't need to do a second coat.

I ordered the DuraTex yesterday, and according to Canada Post tracking it was in Ottawa this morning. I'll pick it up from the local postal outlet by Tuesday and I'll paint the cabs next Fri. or Sat. :cool:

41 - 60 of 162 Posts