AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating a knockdown texture in the rest of the basement as well as the theater. I like this type of finish on the walls. Has anyone done this and if so, any tricks or pointers that one could offer. Has anyone done this on the ceiling? ...in a HT? Would one do the soffits as well?

For reference, here's a picture of what I'm thinking about.

Thank you for the help.

CJ

·
Registered
893 Posts
My dad used to do this all the time and I had to help him when I was a kid... which is why I think I hate this
He needed the texture because he couldnt tape for jack!

You need to blow the drywall mix through a hopper and depending on the nozzle, you get different sized blobs. Then we waited 15 mins or so until it was almost dry and took a 12"+ drywall knife and knocked it down.

I would recommend testing it out on some scrap peices of drywall first to get the texture you want.

I remember a few times he let it set too long and we had to use a sanding board to knock it down even farther. He used to ******* it and just staple 80 grit to some 2x4s in order to do a 2 ft wide area at once.

So in a nutshell, it is easy to do, but practice first so you are consistent and you have everything setup correctly.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Also, you found drywallschool.com and they rock for teaching, so it is worth whatever they charge for their professional info if you have any doubt.

·
Premium Member
1,833 Posts
I have this throughout my house - walls and ceiling. I'm still planning my basement HT so I can't address your question directly. However, I can say that based on what I've experienced it is a PAIN to patch/repair.

About a year after we built our house, one drywall seam in the ceiling pulled out in my office - just enough to be noticeable over a 5 foot run. The builder sent a crew out to complete the repair. Afterwards, you could tell that the area had been repaired (it didn't blend in with the rest of the ceiling) so I had them come back out. They tried the repair again and it didn't improve.

The end result was that they had to do the entire ceiling again (scrape, prep, shoot, knock, prime, paint, etc). It created a HUGE mess and they did a decent job of cleaning it up. But I had to disassemble/move all my equipment and gear (computers, recording equip, instruments, etc.) out before they started, then back in.

I'm just wondering if you ever had to do a patch or repair job how your experience might compare...

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
We will be doing a 'stipple' texture on our ceiling in the theater.

By 'we' I mean the drywall crew.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts