AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm about ready to make a purchase on some theater seats. I've narrowed it down to the following three:

Berklie 45004s

Usher Collection seating

and finally, Coaster Showtime seating

The Coasters and the Ushers are roughly the same price, with the Berklines being about twice as much. I have a little bit of feedback on the Berklines, and I've read a few things on AVS from Coaster owners, but I know absolutely nothing about the Ushers. All three are available from HTAuthority.

Like most seats, I realize that the purchases are done site unseen. I guess I'm just looking for any feedback anyone here can offer on any of the three. Also, does anyone know of a website that reviews the seats?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I vote for the Berklie 45004s

They look very posh, and quite comfy. The color should fit well with the scheme of your room. You should also post a pic of your seatless room here so people can judge the seat finalists with your current setup

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd go for the Berklines as well, especially if you're going the sight unseen route. Berklines typically have a better warranty - and you normally don't hear a lot of bad things about them in terms of quality.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one bad thing about the Berklines is that they're $1600 more for a set of 6 than either the Coasters or the Ushers. I just got off the phone with a sales rep from Stargate and the Ushers and Coasters are about the same price.

He was actually pushing me towards the showtimes, as they had a higher back on them. I'm 5'11, and he mentioned that the other seat wouldn't offer any head support when upright. I'm sitting here right now trying to decide if I actually need that support or not. Typically I end up slouching or reclining during the movie, which ends up reducing my effective height anyway.

Based on pricing, I'm probably going to have to remove the Berklines from the equation. That extra $1600 could cover a new AV Receiver

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I just bought 8 45004's (black, micro-fiber, power recline) for $4k (special deal). I probably would have paid ~$600 shipped had I not had the deal, so I saved $800 or so.

I like them a lot. As for the head support, I'm 5'11" and didn't notice a problem. When I'm reclining, my head is supported just fine. If the back was any higher, it would block my surrounds.

I bought them without trying them out first. I was able to try out some 90's at a local showroom (a bit wider than the 45004's) and liked them. Pic's of my chairs:

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I have the Coaster Directors. I'm pleased for the price, but they don't scream "plush"! IMO, they are about 80% of the chair that the Berks are for 50% of the price. So, I feel they are a great bargain. However, if buying again, I would go with the Berks. The Coasters fit my needs when my overall budget was smaller and we were in a temporary house. Now that I'm in my permenant theater, I want the Berks!

Oh, and I'm 6'3" and the Coasters are a bit undersized for me. The footrest hits well above my ankle when reclined.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'll see if I can get some pictures of me in my 45004 tonight. That won't solve the price issue, but at least it will give you more info on the head support.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. The coasters seem to be roughly the same height as the berks. I just went around the house sitting on various couches after I measured cushion and headrest height. Nothing really seems to affect me much on that, so I'm guessing just about any of them would work. My gut tells me to go with the higher backs though.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Here is me (5'11") in a comfortable reclining position in a 45004:

The curvy pillow pretty much lines up directly with the curve of my neck. If the backs were any lower, my head would start to tilt back and I'd be looking too high. If it were any higher, I think I'd get a crick in my neck (because the pillow part is not flush to the lower back of the chair). It's just about perfect for me, and I'll be able to hear my surrounds.

Pure luck, however. I didn't try them before I bought them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
check out the Berks 12000. they are about the same price as the studios ($500 per chair) and have good head support, power recline, and chaise design (though the armrests look high from the pictures). i tried the Berkline 13174 at circuit city of all places (so check yours to see if they have them to sit on while watching one of their tvs; they don't sell them though). and i was told that the 12000 is basically the 13174, but with the head support.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really like the look of the 12000 series, but they're slightly more than the Showtimes. I can't seem to find a link on Berkline's own website for this model though - weird.

Paul, thanks for the pic. I think that's definately the seatback height I need.

·
Registered
587 Posts
..and love them.

I would suggest the "full power everything" though. They have infinite seating positions where the "manuals" only have like three postitions. It IS worth the added costs. The headrest height is fine, in fact, anymore of a headrest, as stated, would interfere with my surrounds.

I am 6'2', 210lbs, and do just fine with these seats. They are a bit narrower that the others too, and THAT was important because of my overall HT width..

My back row is "standard" theater seating, and when the Berks are reclined about 20% or more, there is no prob with site lines. I only was allowed a 7" riser, so I had to be aware of that...

Best,

Tom

Chinaclipper

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I do like the 45004s, but I really can't justify that kind of spending on seats right now. While power recline is a nice to have, I've sat in the manual versions and been ok with that, so that's an expense that will have to wait as well.

Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie /forum/post/14302687

I do like the 45004s, but I really can't justify that kind of spending on seats right now. While power recline is a nice to have, I've sat in the manual versions and been ok with that, so that's an expense that will have to wait as well.

Decisions, decisions...

What I would do in that case is just get power recliners for your chair and the Mrs's. Guests and kids can use manual. That a slight increase in cost, but still a lot less then going power for all chairs.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I built my riser, I didn't build outlets into it as well, so I'm assumming I'd be strining cords across the floor if I went with power?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Yeah, you'd need to get power there somehow. Depending on your riser construction, it may be possible to fish an extension cord through the riser from the back wall, just so nobody trips over it. Don't know code implications.

Could you run the power under the lip of your riser? If you got a gray extension cord it wouldn't look bad.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have outlet to the left and right of the back row, on the walls. That would probably work. The back row is where I normally sit anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
regarding power seating, i went to circuit city again today to try out the 13174s (so this will give you an idea about berks power recline in general). a couple of things:

1) the squeaking (leather on vinyl) is annoying and, for the lack of a better word, kinda ghetto.

2) once you recline to your spot, you don't really use it (except for bathroom breaks). coasters, as far as i know, have manual recline that stops at arbitrary positions; so they're like power recline but without the power.

also, another thing. sitting in the berks again today i realized the leather isn't that great of quality, compared to normal furniture at furniture stores. it felt kinda plastic-like. i assume that's what coaster leather will be like. i mean, yeah it feels like leather but like a very very low grade. it's not stiff leather, but it's not very pleasing to the touch either.

i'm in the boat for seats too and though i didn't want to spend a lot of $$ on custom berks (as opposed to the overseas berks) i might just do it so i can upgrade to the highest grade leather or to the highest grade microfiber. but then again, teh body gets used to whatever. my bed for example was $300. so, at the low end. but i'm used to it. if i had been on a bed forum i'd probably not be happy; so, ignorance can be bliss i guess. of course i put a mattress pad on top to make it comfortable.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytheaternoob /forum/post/14304056

2) once you recline to your spot, you don't really use it (except for bathroom breaks). coasters, as far as i know, have manual recline that stops at arbitrary positions; so they're like power recline but without the power.

That's not really the case. Power recliners allow you to stop at ANY setting. Manual recliners only allow you to stop at those three pre-set locations.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathan /forum/post/14304107

That's not really the case. Power recliners allow you to stop at ANY setting. Manual recliners only allow you to stop at those three pre-set locations.

that's not what i was told by a coasters dealer. he said they stop at any position. maybe a coasters owner can chime in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts