AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello all.
  I'm new here and this is my first post.  After doing some very specific web searches with a 3.1 system in mind I quickly found that this forum is the definitive treasure trove of A/V knowledge on the web.  I'm looking forward to getting a new system together with your help...

Background:  I've currently got an old Onkyo HTIB (HT-S650) that's since been pared down to 3.1.  I want to start by buying a new receiver and a new pair of stereo speakers, and pair those up with my existing subwoofer and center speaker from the HTIB.  Later on (to defray the sticker shock on my significant other) I'll buy a center speaker to match the new stereo speakers.  I'm hoping to not need a new sub in the long run, but am open if it limits the overall system.

Uses/Inputs:  95% PlayStation3, 5% visiting friend's Android/iDevice 

With the PS3 --> 50% Netflix & Amazon streaming, 20% music, 10% video games, 10% YouTube, 10% DVD/BluRay

Environment:  12' wide L shaped room with high ceilings and hardwood floors.  Each leg of the "L" is 18' long.

Current plans:  Definitive Tech 450's, Cambridge Audio SX50's, or Energy CB-20's for the stereo speakers.  Receiver?  No clue --> help please.

Budget: $200 - $400 for a receiver.

Concerns:

1)  We can't hear dialogue/voice much at all while watching Netflix and Amazon right now.  Can't adjust specific speaker output with current system.  We want to make sure that isn't the case with our new system.

2)  Repeating vs PassThrough receiver.  I've read enough to be dangerous and know that this can restrict my options for "video switching".  Is there a reason to avoid the newer PassThrough models?

3)  I'm a fan of good sound and don't want to limit the Def Tech's/Cambridge Audio's/Energy's with a shoddy receiver.  Is my receiver budget high enough?

4)  Should I forgo the bookshelf speakers altogether and get floorstanding?

5)  I'm definitely concerned that I've written such a long post that no one will persevere this far and help me out. 

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

Let me address your concerns in order:

1. The center channel of the HTIB is most likely small and weak and maybe almost worthless. The center channel in any 3.1 system, or any HT system for that matter, is very important because it is where almost all dialogue comes through. I would suggest getting a good center channel if you want to improve your HT experience. A new AVR with Audyssey or YPAO will also allow you to change individual speaker levels as well.

2. I wouldn't be too concerned about this. 

3. Your receiver budget should be fine as far as audio quality goes. To get more for your money you might want to visit accessories4less and look at good refurbs that have a one year warranty. See link below:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/HomeAudio/Home-Audio/1.html

4. I personally like towers more than bookshelves for my L and R channels, I think they tend to have a better sound but there are plenty of exceptions. I should note it depends very much on the speakers being discussed. Either way I suggest you put almost as much money into your subwoofer as you do your speakers and put less for now into your AVR. Your speakers and sub will have a greater impact by far on the sound quality of your system than the AVR. You can always upgrade the AVR later. 

Reactions: TheOnlyNameLeft

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hopinator. Your advice and your link has been very helpful. Seems I may not be that knowledgeable after all :)

I bought a pair of Polk TSX 440t's today for a steal from a friend, and have ordered a 250c center to match them. I've narrowed down the receiver selection to:

Denon AVR-891

Denon 1712

Yamaha RX-V571

Seems like some vocal people here generally prefer the quality and sound of Yamaha's to the Denon's, but that most people prefer Audyssey to YPAO. Anyone have their 2cents they'd care to share on the models I'm looking at? Or others?

Had some questions even after searching the extensive AVSforum's archives...

- The 891 and 1712 have Audyssey Dynamic Volume, is that comparable to the "Initial Volume Setting and Maximum Volume Setting" with the Yamaha?

- Will the difference between MultEQ and MultEQ XT (891 vs 1712) be noticeable with a 3.1 setup?

- Would the 105W vs 90W (891 vs 1712) be noticeable with my setup?

Thanks AVS community...

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOnlyNameLeft  /t/1499474/knowledgeable-noob-help-me-find-a-3-1-receiver#post_23949811

Thanks Hopinator. Your advice and your link has been very helpful. Seems I may not be that knowledgeable after all :)

I bought a pair of Polk TSX 440t's today for a steal from a friend, and have ordered a 250c center to match them. I've narrowed down the receiver selection to:

Denon AVR-891

Denon 1712

Yamaha RX-V571

Seems like some vocal people here generally prefer the quality and sound of Yamaha's to the Denon's, but that most people prefer Audyssey to YPAO. Anyone have their 2cents they'd care to share on the models I'm looking at? Or others?

Had some questions even after searching the extensive AVSforum's archives...

- The 891 and 1712 have Audyssey Dynamic Volume, is that comparable to the "Initial Volume Setting and Maximum Volume Setting" with the Yamaha?

- Will the difference between MultEQ and MultEQ XT (891 vs 1712) be noticeable with a 3.1 setup?

- Would the 105W vs 90W (891 vs 1712) be noticeable with my setup?

Thanks AVS community...
Happy to help. 

I personally like Denon and Marantz over Yamaha and that has to do directly with Audyssey. But there will be plenty who feel differently. All three brands are very good. 

Even with a 3.1 system I would go with Audyssey MultiEQ XT if it is in your budget to do so.

15 watts won't be noticeable. Those speakers are easy to drive so you don't need the power and 15 watts won't be noticeable in volume. But the 105 watts comes with the Audyssey MultiEQ XT so the watts are a bonus.

Reactions: TheOnlyNameLeft

·
Registered
9,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater  /t/1499474/knowledgeable-noob-help-me-find-a-3-1-receiver#post_23949868

Happy to help. 

I personally like Denon and Marantz over Yamaha and that has to do directly with Audyssey. But there will be plenty who feel differently. All three brands are very good. 

Even with a 3.1 system I would go with Audyssey MultiEQ XT if it is in your budget to do so.

15 watts won't be noticeable. Those speakers are easy to drive so you don't need the power and 15 watts won't be noticeable in volume. But the 105 watts comes with the Audyssey MultiEQ XT so the watts are a bonus.

Actually the 1712 has XT. Does the 891 as well? I'd go for the Denon provided it is heavily discounted since it's two model years old already. The older Onkyos were famous for HDMI board issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got the last 1712 from A4less, along with the last Boston Acoustics ASW650 sub. Thanks for all your advice. I'll come back once I get everything in and hooked up and let you know how it sounds. I figure that might be useful to someone that unearths this thread in the future.

·
Registered
7,949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kini62  /t/1499474/knowledgeable-noob-help-me-find-a-3-1-receiver#post_23949895

Actually the 1712 has XT. Does the 891 as well? I'd go for the Denon provided it is heavily discounted since it's two model years old already. The older Onkyos were famous for HDMI board issues.
Yeah I was talking about the 1712 having XT. I agree, I would go with Denon as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts