AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sent Mark Dunham, Chief Engineer for kXAN, KNVA, and KXAM an email asking the status of KNVA-DT, and whether KNVA would carry the WB's 4 hours of high definition programming this fall.

His response:

Quote:
We hope to be on the air towards the end of June. We are very close to completing a necessary building expansion to accommodate the new transmitter. A tower crew is on the way today and will begin installing transmission line on Monday followed by the transmitter install beginning on June 10th.

KNVA-DT 49 will initially sign on at 174kW and we will upconvert programming to a 480p format. We will have the equipment in place by September to pass through the WB HD signal at 1080i or 720p.

-Mark Dunham

Ciao

Joe

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This now from KNVA:

Quote:
No new information in the last couple weeks other than we expect the transmitter to be delivered now on June 17th and installation should begin immediately. I'll email as soon as we begin testing

-Mark Dunham

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not a peep, and the station engineer hasn't answered recent emails.

Joe

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just got a response out of KNVA -- looks like they'll be live soon...

KNVA-DT will begin testing of the transmitter equipment on September 9th. Viewers will not see pictures for another week as we also verify the installation of the antenna/transmission line. I am confident we will be on the air at 700 Kilowatts for the debut of the Fall season but... We will be upconverting analog to 480p at that time. Microwaves and HD encoders are on order but we do not expect delivery for another few weeks.

Mark Dunham

Chief Engineer

KXAN/KNVA/KXAM

(V) 512.703.5234

(F) 512.476.1520
[email protected]

Maybe KNVA will have HDTV before KTBC has Fox 480p Widescreen.

Joe

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More from Mark Dunham at KXAN/KNVA:

I asked him about the transmission of the signal from the studios at KXAN/KNVA to the antenna/transmitter site, and how long after they get the required equipment it would take to get the HD signal live -- specifically if they would have similar problems to those KTBC is experiencing. This was his response; I'm going to cross post it to the KTBC thread because it sheds light on the process KTBC is going through:

We are anxiously awaiting our remaining equipment and it will become our number one priority to install once it arrives. I would think no more than 1 - 2 weeks. Ken Smith is right about the frequencies in Austin being scarce these days. The local frequency coordinator has contacted us to get an updated list in an effort to get FOX the new license they seek.

We have chosen to go the expensive route and purchase the latest microwave product from Microwave Radio Corporation, the Twinstream. This radio allows an analog and a digital stream on the same carrier. The great benefit to this option is that it is a direct replacement for an existing radio - no new license is necessary, only a modification. The downside is the price - about $100,000 - ouch!

Our General Manager is in negotiations with Time Warner now for carriage of the HD channels - both KXAN and KNVA. We are very optimistic that this will come to fruition before the end of 2002.

- Mark Dunham

Joe

·
Registered
606 Posts
Man, you guys need to quite posting all this "GOOD" news about soon-to-turn-on HD channels in Austin.

Everyday I read some new compelling evidence to get an HD reciever (such as KEYE coming on line soon... and KNVA... ), but I consistently get shot down by the boss/wife. :D

Question: why is it that KNVA (WB) will be going on line with OOOOODLES of power, while KEYE and KTBC are tinkering around at

Why is KEYE plopping down the $$ for the low power transmission stuff now, when they plan to come on line in June with some beefy transmitter? Must have to do with the FCC mandates?!

Best to all.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by RobertCooper
Question: why is it that KNVA (WB) will be going on line with OOOOODLES of power, while KEYE and KTBC are tinkering around at

Why is KEYE plopping down the $$ for the low power transmission stuff now, when they plan to come on line in June with some beefy transmitter? Must have to do with the FCC mandates?!
Some speculation:

KNVA (WB) is owned by the same company as KXAN (NBC), Lin TV ( www.lintv.com ). As I understand it, the engineering staff that supports KXAN also supports KNVA (and KXAM, a rebroadcast version of KXAN in Llano) With NBC being the first station in Austin to go live with DTV, I can only conclude that Lin is supportive of digital television. They probably use the same tower that KXAN does -- which is a big advantage. KVUE and KEYE don't have tower space available for a DT transmitter.

KEYE, if I'm not mistaken, is owned by CBS, and so they may feel some pressure to miss the deadline by as little as possible. I _think_ what they are doing is putting a temporary antenna up on the same tower their analog antenna is on, and waiting to install the permanent one when they get the new tower up next spring. They may be using the same transmitter, maybe not. I'm not sure what the expense is to get live with a minimum signal.

KVUE is owned by Belo, which as a company (and this is just the general impression I have of them) has not strongly supported the transition to digital television. KVUE may not have the resources to draw on that CBS-owned KEYE has. They will be using the same tower that KEYE is putting up next spring.

KTBC seems to be trying to do the best they can, while spending the least money they can. They were the only station besides KXAN to make the OTA DT May 1 deadline. They would seem to be the only station in Austin affected by the future sale of channels 52 and above, so they have some excuse, although one could argue that everyone else is going to lose a full power transmitter (the analog one) when their analog transmissions go away and they only broadcast in the digital. I don't know, however, if there is a hardware difference between a transmitter/antenna system for analog and digital signals. KTBC/KVC-13 are owned by Fox, so why they don't have resources available is anyone's guess. Of the . 24 Fox owned Stations , KTBC is in the smallest market by far.

KLRU, of course, has until the PBS DT deadline of May 1, 2003 before they are required to be live.

Anyways, I think a lot has to do with who owns the companies and what their commitment to digital television is.

Joe

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Houston is one of the largest markets in the nation -- so they had to support DTV there. There are mandates on such things as broadcast power and the like. Wasn't the deadline for going live in the top ten markets earlier than for the smaller markets? Belo has twenty some stations, and as I remember they had quite a few extension requests for their smaller markets which were denied by the FCC. Like I said -- that was an impression.

Joe

·
Registered
254 Posts
Definitely good news, things are finally looking up here. Especially if they think they'll be on TW by the end of the year, that would be another step.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Latest from Dusty:

My questions:

Quote:
Do you have a firm live date for KEYE-DT yet?

Where is the transmitter located? Is it near KXAN or KTBC's?

Where should the antenna point for best reception?
Note: I live in the rectangle formed by William Cannon and Slaughter Lane, and Brodie Lane and Mopac. I find that, for an optimized signal, I have to rotate my indoor antenna (radio shack double bowtie) to get either KXAN or KTBC with no dropouts. I rarely get both above 40 on the intensity meter at the same time. By rotating to one or the other, I can get the signal strength up above 50 for one or the other.

His response:

Quote:
We are ready to start as soon as we get our operating perment from the FCC. Look for us Wednesday or Thursday of this week. We are located between KTBC and KXAN. From your location I would think that the KXAN pointing of your antenna would work for us.
Joe

·
Registered
848 Posts
Joe, let us know when they start broadcasting so I can do a channel scan, get nothing (based on the 3.7 transmission you put in another post), and post my obligatory "another station broadcasting off the top of a coat hanger" post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.