AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the folks at Home Depot know what Kodak 18% Gray is, or am I going to get another one of those Home Depot Employee "Deer in the headlights" stares?

I have no idea what Kodak 18% Gray looks like. Has anybody found a comparable match with a popular brand of paint?

I did try a search on this btw.

Thanks,

Doug

·
Registered
784 Posts
Diver.

No one at HD will know what you're talking about. They'll think you dropped in from another planet.

There's nothing special about Kodak 18% gray, apart from it being color neutral. It is used in photography to correctly expose skin tones on panchromatic black and white film.

My recommendation would be to find a shade of gray that you like and go with it. It's fairly easy to tell which grays are close to color neutral.

If you want, pick a brand of paint Depot carries and I'll get the chips and match it to my Kodak Gray card for you.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Why not pick up a card from a photo shop and have it color matched.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
That's what I was going to say! Thanks, Pat. Get the 18% gray card from a camera/photo shop and take it to the HD to have it computer color matched. Problem solved.

Pam

·
Registered
881 Posts
That's what I did. When I went into the local photo store, I told the owner what I was going to use it for and he looked at me as if I'd just fallen to Earth from outer space.

But then he was like "hey, that's pretty cool, why don't you save yourself $8.00 and borrow mine if you only need it to match a color". Being the cheap S.O.B. that I am, I promptly took him up on the offer. :D

Problem solved and $8.00 ahead of the game!

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pat, Pam, Ed: Thanks everyone. I'll look up "Photography" in the yellow pages and try to find a store nearby. I've had so many challenges with this project that I am beginning to appreciate simple answers.

Tom, your offer is really appreciated. Thank you. I'm at Home Depot twice a week. My challenge was that I had no idea what K-18 Gray (Not the Widowmaker, I believe that was "K-19") looked like, or how to explain it to the paint folks. Where's "Chaska? All my relatives on my father's side are from Minesota. Brambrinks, Holters, Licatoviches... I've never been there myself. I always head for warm blue water when I take vacation.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Diver,

Chaska is 25 mi SW of Minneapolis. Plenty of beautiful lakes all year round.

There's a week in August when we have a real summer, that would be a great time to visit.

I'm going to Depot today, I'll pull some chips and match to the card.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Will the folks at Home Depot know what Kodak 18% Gray is...I have no idea what Kodak 18% Gray looks like...
Irony, eh?

I assume your going for the LRV of 18%.

Behr:

"Wolverine", to the warm side, is 18%

"Mineral Grey", middle of the road, clocks in at 16%

"Blackthorn", to the cold, is 17%.

Not all Depot employees are created equal.

Joe, (yes, his real name) was my personal savior for countless colour matches. He is sorely missed.

"Nothing special about Kodak 18% grey"? Being one of a few hues that are recognized around the world is nothing special? I take exception with that. jdb

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here's the Kodak 18% Grey formula for HD Behr Premium Plus Interior Flat Latex (1 Gallon). I got this from another forum member who had the Kodak color card (almost) perfectly matched at his Home Depot.

Accent Base (1600)

4 columns on label:

------------------------------------------

COLORANT OZ 48 96

------------------------------------------

D Thalo Green 0 36 0

E Thalo Blue 3 14 0

F Red Oxide 1 11 0

Except for a few paint strokes, I never used the gallon I bought. I also had no idea what it looked like before buying it (and I hadn't seen the Kodak card). 18% sounded on the light side of gray to me so I thought why not give it a try. Boy was I wrong -- it is very dark. I painted a test 2x2 test square on the ceiling and we quickly decided it wasn't for us. I then went back to HD and picked a much lighter gray my wife and I both liked (Silver Comet). It looks great and we haven't had any problems with reflected light, etc.

Good luck with your project ...

baloo

·
Registered
799 Posts
Baloo-

The 18% does sound like a "light" hue. But actually the LRV refers to how much light is reflected back. "Light Reflectance Value".

Your SC (at 42%) is a very nice choice and has just given me an idea. Thank you very much. jdb

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You know what, you folks are absolutely wonderful. Thank you so very, very much for giving of your time and for being so darned helpful! Sometimes I feel like responsibility is overwhelming as a dad and husband, and responsible employee trying to make it all work on one income in the Bay Area. You folks have been wonderfully helpful. Thank You!

·
Registered
881 Posts
From this corner of the country: You're very welcome.

I figured I've taken so much from this board I do everything I can to give a little back.

BTW, I can completely relate to your "responsibility" statement. Throw an HT project on top of it and WHOOOPEEEEE! More decisions than you can shake a stick at.

Cheers!

- Ed.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The South also says "Ya'll Are Welcome!"

We also have received so much wonderful help from this forum that has proved invaluable to us as we attempt our first dedicated theater - it is a great feeling to know you have actually helped someone!

Pam:)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ELB_III
...More decisions than you can shake a stick at...
I find using the big 5 gallon paint stick, free of charge at a Depot near you, to be more productive when needing to shake sticks.

Maybe that helps enough for me to say, "your welcome". jdb

Benica, nice place. Richard Cir lived there, nice guy. Thanks for jogging my memory.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
JDB,

Can I ask how you are figuring out the LRV values for these paints? I am thinking of painting my theater in a navy/midnight blue tone and was wondering which Behr (Or other brand) paint would get me the color I want with the "magic 18% LRV". Which I guess leads me to question 2... is 18% the MAGIC LRV number, or is it just 18% LRV for Gray this "magic"?

Thanks and regards,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by jdb
Irony, eh?

I assume your going for the LRV of 18%.

Behr:

"Wolverine", to the warm side, is 18%

"Mineral Grey", middle of the road, clocks in at 16%

"Blackthorn", to the cold, is 17%.

Not all Depot employees are created equal.

Joe, (yes, his real name) was my personal savior for countless colour matches. He is sorely missed.

"Nothing special about Kodak 18% grey"? Being one of a few hues that are recognized around the world is nothing special? I take exception with that. jdb

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by artur
Hi All, from photographic stand point 18% gray is exactly the middle of gray scale.

Artur
18% is the % of light reflected from an "average" scene. It's the basis for photo exposure. Since no actual scene is average, a photographer may choose to use an 18% gray card to take a reflected light meter reading. Another method is to use an incident light meter reading from a 90% white card. An incident light meter is pointed normally away from the scene to get the available light amount rather than the reflected amount. Be aware that this info is from memory about 40 years ago when I made a little money in the field.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just painted my ceiling with the "Kodak Gray" today and it came out great. The ceiling just seems to disappear. I have not set up the projector yet, but I am expecting it to work great.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
There's nothing magic about that 18% figure unless you need a light meter reading. How much light gets reflected off the wall will depend on how much is directed onto it.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Pat,

So are you saying that there is really no way for me to pick a color ahead of time and know how it will react to the high light output of the DLP RPTV until I get the tv and paint the whole room some color?

Just trying to get a handle on this so I can buy the paint tomorrow.

I guess I will snag one of the Kodak gray cards from Wolfe Camera or something if they have it and see how it looks with the blood reds or midnight blue I am thinking of using for the rest of the theater.

Do you know about how LRV is applied to different paint colors or if this info is available somewhere for different paint brands and colors. I couldn't find anything worthwhile on Behr's site.

Thanks,

Jeff

Quote:
Originally posted by greywolf
There's nothing magic about that 18% figure unless you need a light meter reading. How much light gets reflected off the wall will depend on how much is directed onto it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.