AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local auction is offering this Kodak DP1050 unit (I've been looking at the well spoken for NEC LT-150 for my home theater but my spending money and LT are being held captive by an ebay scoundrel)!

Anyway, after reading some good feedback among forum members on Davis projectors I thought I'd attend this auction to see if I can get a deal but Projector Central notes that this projector is not HDTV, EDTV, SDTV ready and has no Component Video...am I wasting my time?

There also seems to be a discrepancy between Kodak (650ANSI) and Davis (800ANSI) on lumens. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Skirk,

I have a Davis 650 clone and am very happy with it. I believe the lumens is probably closer to 650.

If you get one, be sure and ask mflaster to email you his new updated software that both fixes the "tearing" of the picture when horizontal motion occured and the green color shift that was in the tearing fix that Davis engineers wrote. You will need a programming cable for this one-time fix.

Strengths:

VERY smooth, filmlike picture when watching DVD via an HTPC (home theater computer). Almost invisible pixel structure. Good color and very good contrast for a bulb projector. The programming fix for the "tearing" makes the color wheel much faster which, to me almost completely eliminates any ''rainbow effect" common with single chip DLP projectors.

Here's a HUGE strength: HAS A 6000 HOUR BULB!!!! :D

Weaknesses:

TERRIBLE internal scaler (aren't they all!). Fan is somewhat noisy. Gathers dust pretty quickly in the optics if unfiltered. Is starting to get passed by by newer technology, brightness, 16 by 9 pixel structure and HDTV compatability. It's basically an XGA version of the much loved Davis 450.

I have not used it yet with HDTV but a forum member used to have one with his RCA DTC-100 HDTV direct TV and said that with the original software (RCA) the picture was a bit stretched. Don't know if the new software on the RCA with 4:3 available fixes this. Direct Connection here in Huntington Beach says I can bring my projector to their store and they will hook it up to an Hipix card to see if it works. Cool!

I love mine (after much anguish before the tearing fix and color problems were solved). If you get a good price I would say, go for it. If you need the programming cable maybe you can borrow mine, you aren't that far...

Good luck

·
Registered
653 Posts
I can affirm that the Davis 650 clones work with the Hipix as I use the Hipix with my clone (viewsonic). It works best when set to 1024x768 letterboxed in the Hipix's configuration( this keeps the geometry correct). You will not like the picture when feeding any satellite hdtv ( dtv or dish). The picture is stretched and exhibits a blueish blooming around whites. I have a dish 6000 hdtv receiver so I can not answer what one gets with Dtv but I expect the same. The picture is breathtakiing though for ota hdtv. It is not 1080 or 720 but it still rocks. During PBS's demos of the Italian coast you get the sense that you are there. If you want to feed a sat hdtv signal into your clone, it would be best if you can come across a dish 5000 w/ modulator as the Hipix or access hdtv cards are the only way to get signal although it wll be 1024x768. Be prepared to spend about 950-1050$ though on the dish 5000. Dont get me wrong though, the davis clone is still hard to beat especially with its 6000 hr bulb for under 450$ ( eat your hearts out lp 150 owners :D ). And remember with the 5c dvi coming out all projectors without it might become obsolete with sat hdtv. One last thing is to make sure you upgrade to version "L" for software.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'd also like to add that getting it "Thumperized" is a big plus as well.

I'm still playing with adjusting the gamma curve as well, not just the color. Hopefully if I can get access to a Colorfacts sensor I can make some measurements.

BTW, OT, anyone reading this with a 650 use Powerstrip? coug7669? I'm trying to figure out good settings for a wide screen, that the projector doesn't think is an 800x600 signal...

Mike

·
Registered
653 Posts
Mike like your earlier post I too tried to use powerstrip at 1024x554 and like you I couldnot get it to work . I believe we are in the same situation the dila's were in before they got pixel perfect timings. Until someone can come up with exact timings for the davis to understand we are stuck w/800x600 or 1024x768. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate all of the tech advice on the Kodak I was really on the fence. Unfortunately the Forum site upgrades didn't allow me to see your posts until after the auction...what a day!

I wish I had had a few of the Forum's experts (without checkbooks) at my side as NEC plasmas w/road cases whisked off the shelf in the $2k-$3k range, a beautiful but VERY large commercial monitor ($5k new) in the box sold for $850.

Anyway, I passed on the Kodak at $1200 but Robert and coug both acknowledged the pitfalls of satellite. I'm headed in that direction and am happy I didn't get backed into a corner.

Thanks again!

P.S. Still waiting on my video spending cash from my LT150 Ebay deal that went south. Anyone know of any thugs in Albuquerque?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.