AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 1251 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
This is HDMI "handshaking" which involves the receiver and tv as well. Typically you can't do anything and it's not related to the Chromebox per se.

It bitstreams without issue including 5.1...

Well, as if I needed another excuse to get a new TV. :) I have never had any handshake issues with this setup and other sources (Xbox 360, FireTV, Dune, Mede8er, etc.).

·
Registered
44 Posts
What comes to Yamaha receivers, they appear to have problems with the Chromebox (at least ASUS). My RX-V567 refused to work even if the receiver showed that it was connected via HDMI. I had to buy an EDID emulator to connect between the devices (I got a Lindy but Dr HDMI should work as well). In fact, the receiver also had problems with my Mede8er at times.

Streaming 5.1ch audio works fine, the audio channels number just needs to be set correctly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you both for the quick responses. I'll post back here after I purchase and set up. Or if I have trouble.

My guess is that the latter will happen a few times before I get to the prior. :)

Thanks again and have a great new year!

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
What comes to Yamaha receivers, they appear to have problems with the Chromebox (at least ASUS). My RX-V567 refused to work even if the receiver showed that it was connected via HDMI. I had to buy an EDID emulator to connect between the devices (I got a Lindy but Dr HDMI should work as well). In fact, the receiver also had problems with my Mede8er at times.

Streaming 5.1ch audio works fine, the audio channels number just needs to be set correctly.

That figures. I bought the Yamaha a few months ago because it was the cheapest thing I could find for just a den setup to upgrade my old Pioneer that did not have HDMI. It has been great so far but I think something changed either when I messed with the Chromebox display settings or after an OpenElec update. I don't remember seeing my specific display information in Kodi before but it is there now. Maybe I need to set everything back to defaults and start over.

·
Registered
165 Posts

My Yamaha RX-A820 is working just fine with the ASUS Chromebox. DTS-MA and TrueHD bitstreaming and all

·
Registered
44 Posts
Of course, YMMV. You guys have a more recent model than I do so there a good chance that the issues have been resolved.

I did search for solutions quite extensively because I really didn't want to take a 70-dollar resolution and found out that many Yamaha owners were having HDMI handshake issues. My Med sometimes would not switch to 24p mode until I switched the receiver and the TV off and back on.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #487 (Edited)
My Yamaha RX-A820 is working just fine with the ASUS Chromebox.
I use a RX-A820 too. It's a little worse than Denon, Marantz and others using HDMi to DVI. I have to turn things on in a certain order to ensure I get video. Although this has been the case with PCs, WDTV and other devices so it's not just the Chromebox. I use a monitor in the back of the room (often) instead of turning on the projector and it just happens to fits perfectly in the opening or I would have gone with a HDMI monitor.

My RX-V567 refused to work even if the receiver showed that it was connected via HDMI.
Did you try changing the HDMI setting in the "Advanced Setup"?.. I presume your model has such... Hold Straight (button) and then Main Zone Power on mine.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you try changing the HDMI setting in the "Advanced Setup"?.. I presume your model has such... Hold Straight (button) and then Main Zone Power on mine.
I don't seem to have that option, holding the button does nothing. Nevertheless, I cannot return the Lindy box (would cost too much to ship it) but I'm very happy with the Chromebox compared to the sluggish Mede8er :)

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #489

Attachments

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #491 (Edited)
Is it the upscaling option which could make things work?
In theory. Setting MON.CHK to off is suppose to stop the handshaking between the TV and itself and simply send the signal. With my DVI monitor it doesn't help but should in some cases. I have my doubts since it covers analog video up-scaling and I don't know if it does the same for digital... it's free so why not give it a try. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got buddies telling me I should be going with a Roku for streaming 1080p mkv's with 5.1 audio from my HTPC to my AV/TV. Is there any reason(s) to go with the more expensive Chromebox?

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #494 (Edited)
Is there any reason(s) to go with the more expensive Chromebox?
Several including HD audio support, superior video quality and Kodi. If you are looking for a streamer I would go with Fire TV and sideload Kodi. You still won't get HD audio or decent deinterlacing but you'll get pretty much the rest. I recently played around with the Fire TV and Kodi (casual TV viewing for the wife) and was impressed outside of the bad deinterlacing which made watching live/recorded TV difficult.. so I ended up punting.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have standalone setup on two Asus chromeboxes and absolutely love them. I am trying to get my Private Internet Access VPN connected. Has anyone been able to get a vpn going through Openvpn in the openelec settings? I have been looking and trying everything to no avail. It doesn't help that I know nothing about Linux. Thanks in advance for any help!!

VTXRaider

http://openelec.tv/forum/69-network/68991-howto-setup-openelec-to-use-vyprvpn

first and third posts are relevant for you

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got buddies telling me I should be going with a Roku for streaming 1080p mkv's with 5.1 audio from my HTPC to my AV/TV. Is there any reason(s) to go with the more expensive Chromebox?
If you can, get both, Roku for internet streaming and Chromebox for local media.

If not, get the FireTV - you won't get VUDU (probably ever) and at least for now HBO GO through Comcast, FX NOW (has every episode of Simpsons), DISH World (live feed of BeIN sports for $10/mo)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I set up the standalone Openelec on my Chromebox, but when I import a library from XBMC/Kodi on a different computer, some of the movies don't show the posters or fanart. All the art is in the movies folder of the library file being imported, as well as referenced on each movie record in videodb.xml. The movies play fine and I can add the art from their folders but there are more than I'd like to manually update, plus I'd like to understand what happened. The movies are on different shares on different NASes, but that doesn't seem to be the problem as some have/some don't on each share. Any ideas?
Thought I would bump this question with an additional point. I went ahead and tried manually fixing the art for a number of movies, and then exported the library from the Chromebox. As a test, I deleted the videos db and imported the library exported from the Chromebox back in and the art was missing again. I thought there might have been something to do with trying to import my Kodi library from my Windows computer, but it looks like it does it with the export from the Chromebox too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've been having this problem lately and was hoping someone could shed some light on it. I'm having buffering issues when streaming a movie that isn't on my hard drive. After about an hour it will start buffering. I press "O" and the cache(10mb most of the time but did see 20mb once) is down to 0. I increased the cache by following some of vids on Youtube and still no luck. If I start a new movie it will play fine but after about an hour I start having issues again. My internet is 100mbs but the Chromebox sees between 60-80mbs through a powerline converter. I think I have only had the issue at night so maybe it's a server issue?

481 - 500 of 1251 Posts