AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 112 Posts

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Quote:
This enticing piece of news might spur on the current debate over the correct format for the Next Gen Consoles. Recently Hideo Kojima said that "Blu-Ray is too small for Metal Gear Solid 4."

Currently the Blu-Ray disks can hold around 25 GB, but he wants the newer 50 GB Blue Ray disk, which is not a Dual layer 25 GB disk.
http://www.sagn.co.za/news.php?extend.366

This game must be HUGE, and Kojima did say he was cutting back on the cutscenes.

· Registered
4,223 Posts
25g not enough!

Why are the 50g BD not available for games?

They are being used for movies.

· Registered
4,223 Posts

Quote:
Well this now raises the question, will MGS4 come to the Xbox 360? The current reports indicated that this is indeed the case, though whether it will come out on a few disks or be compressed onto one is still to be answered!

What reports...? I thought they were just rumors.

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eh. Probably misinformed. That's all.

· Registered
861 Posts
Any idea how much CG the game has? Even if they have 10GB of CG, that still seems pretty big...I guess since space isn't really a problem they don't have to bother with procedural generation...However, this can't be good for the load times...

It is amazing what one can do in under 100 Kbs. There are 100 KB games that would take up over 250 megabytes had they been done the traditional way.

· Registered
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrii /forum/post/0

Any idea how much CG the game has? Even if they have 10GB of CG, that still seems pretty big...I guess since space isn't really a problem they don't have to bother with procedural generation...However, this can't be good for the load times...

It is amazing what one can do in under 100 Kbs. There are 100 KB games that would take up over 250 megabytes had they been done the traditional way.

Consider 1080P textures, for all resolutions, and then HD audio, and all the extra featuers.

I'm sure MGS4 will be one fine GAME!

· Registered
861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY /forum/post/0

Consider 1080P textures, for all resolutions, and then HD audio, and all the extra featuers.

I'm sure MGS4 will be one fine GAME!

Yeap, no doubting that it will be a great game. While textures do take up a lot of space if done the traditional way, I don't think a lot of it is textures seeing as how the memory is limited...

Do you know how much CG the previous MGS had?

· Registered
768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetrii /forum/post/0

Yeap, no doubting that it will be a great game. While textures do take up a lot of space if done the traditional way, I don't think a lot of it is textures seeing as how the memory is limited...

The previous MGS games have had essentially zero pre-rendered CG. At most the game would have a minute or two of real world clips (like file footage of nuclear reactors in the original MGS), but the games lengthy cutscenes have all been completely real-time using the game engine.

Also that website is mis-quoting Kojima. He basically was saying that 20GB isn't that large and capacity can easily exceed that. The audio alone in Resistance is 6GB. I think it is very likely MGS4 will be on a 50GB BD, and I'm positive FF13 will be on a dual-layered disk as well; maybe even two.

· Registered
1,546 Posts
The culprit is CG movie files. Most JP games use CG in the extreme. 1080p CG is stupidly large in footprint. Most Blu and HD DVD movies are around an hour and half or two hours. These same movies fill the discs.

So imagine a huge game with large textures, massive game data AND CG packed in. That's where the trouble resides. As fans of Metal Gear know, you usually play in 30 minute blocks then you get a CG. (they use in game assets for it, but it's stored as a CG file) When the game gets to be 20 hours+ you see a LOT of rendered video.

They need to use in game graphics for the bulk of the story segments. The graphics alone are good enough for telling the story. This is what Gears of War did. Most US and EU games use in game assets for story. Using this method only takes code that's in the meg territory instead of gigs.

Just imagine how big the new Final Fantasy will be! I'd expect two 50g Blu discs to be packed in.

More disc space means less and less when developers use more and more of it for the same things that killed DVD's space.

When we went from CD to DVD the impact on games was huge! The reason it was huge was due to the fact that we went from 700 megs to 9 gigs at the SAME resolution. All video was still 480p/i so it didn't take any more space on a DVD as it would on a CD. This allowed developers to store more CG and game elements.

Now with HD, we're kinda back at square one. We get games and CG in 720p/1080p but no more of it than we had on DVD. That makes the impact for next gen media meaningless as far as the size and scope of games. It only affects how detailed it looks on our new TVs.

· Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:

As TwinTurbo mentioned, Kojima has never used CG in the MGS games. All cutscenes are and were realtime. Also, like I've said already, Kojima isn't going to make long cutscenes in MGS4 due to complaints from gamers. Another thing to note is that he wants the cutscenes to be interactive.

· Registered
3,222 Posts
Now I'm not much of a gamer but if BD25 doesn't cut it and BD50 can, why would MGS4 go to XBox 360?

fuad

· Registered
4,223 Posts
The 360 will simply use 4 or more disk. No need for a next generation drive.

· Registered
9,460 Posts
Like as if that is really the average persons concern if it comes to the 360

I am 100% positive the only people who will complain about this is either fanboys or non 360 owners. No different then what every person here does now switching out different movies or games.

It is funny when the subject gets brought up about multi. Some of you go as far as making it sound like when you go to another stage you have to get up and switch the disc out.

· Registered
3,335 Posts
"Apparently Hideo Kojima believes that what you do with in game sound can fill up the disk rather quickly this leads us to believe that the new MGS may have an ace up its sleeve, perhaps some thing never before seen in a game, though we can't be sure what yet. This seems to be the reason why he needs a larger disk."

· Registered
3,231 Posts
Two 50GB discs not enough? And he'd rather go to the 360 which has less space and use more discs??? Makes no sense at all. I question the cred of this report...

· Registered
4,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally posted by TwinTurboJosh

Also that website is mis-quoting Kojima. He basically was saying that 20GB isn't that large and capacity can easily exceed that. The audio alone in Resistance is 6GB. I think it is very likely MGS4 will be on a 50GB BD, and I'm positive FF13 will be on a dual-layered disk as well; maybe even two.

I think Josh is right, just a mis-quote, MGS4 will probably be on a BD50 disk.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.