AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys--just got my HD antenna installed today, and have been surfing around looking at DTV/HDTV. Amazing--I'm really impressed.

I'm using a Hughes E86, and I have toslink running to a Marantz SR7000 to decode DD. I seem to be having issues with KOMO-DT, our ABC affiliate out here in Seattle (Channel 4-1). All other stations are coming in just fine, but KOMO's audio is extremely low-level and breaking apart (video is fine and signal strength is pegged at 100%). When I hook up analog audio cables however, it's loud and clear.

Anyone run into this before--that is, is this to be expected from time to time, or do I have a problem somewhere?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I haven't had any trouble...but one thing to be aware of is that KOMO puts the 5.1 audio on a separate audio stream, not the default, so you have to select it.

Also this thread would probably get more responses in the Local HDTV Info and Reception forum

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, you're right--it should have gone there. You know what happened? I figured it out--when the installation guy was messing around with the equipment, he nudged the speaker wire connections to my receiver, and accidentally pulled the center channel loose. I had no center. once I plugged it back in--voila!

Thanks for the response. I also wasn't aware of the multiple streams. Thanks. I there a good site out there that shows you whether or not a show is in 5.1? Titantv.com never mentions audio, and they're sometimes wrong about whether or not a broadcast is in HD. A bit annoying.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I have not found a good source of programs offering DD 5.1 audio, but we have learned some things from experience.

KOMO and ABC broadcast most (maybe all) of the ABC HDTV programs in DD 5.1. None of the other local stations has any regular DD 5.1 audio, if any at all.

On my DTC-100, to receive the KOMO-DT DD 5.1 audio, I have to switch from primary audio to alternate audio. This capability is typically used to select a second audio source offering another language or some other variation from the primary (similar to selecting an alternate language on a DVD). On my receiver, an icon is highlighted on the channel banner to indicate that alternate audio is available. I move the cursor to that icon and press select to switch the audio.

KOMO only broadcasts the alternate audio when there is a program on with DD 5.1 available. During those programs, both the primary and alternate audio are available.

KOMO's primary DD 2.0 audio is the only one in the Seattle area properly set up to pass through a flag that enables automatic Dolby Pro Logic II decoding in a Dolby Digital audio system. This extracts a center and mono surround channel from the DD 2.0 in the same way that matrix-encoded analog audio is processed by a Dolby Pro Logic II decoder.

All of the other stations are broadcasting DD 2.0 audio with their HD broadcasts, but, without the flag, all that is heard from a Dolby Digital audio system is 2-channel stereo, no center channel and no surround. This is actually a step backwards from the audio offered on the analog channels because that lack of a "surround enabled" flag prevents a DD sound system from decoding the matrix-encoded center and surround channels, even though they are "there" within the DD 2.0 transmission.

For digital stations other than KOMO-DT, when I watch HD or SD programs, I often switch the audio from digital to analog since this allows me to hear Dolby Surround instead of just stereo. I have both optical (digital) and wire (analog) L+R connections from my DTC-100 to separate inputs on my A/V receiver so I can control this.

So, your weak KOMO sound resulted from your center channel problem. Since the other stations are not enabling the center channel, they were not affected by the problem.

I don't know how to select alternate audio on an E-86 STB. Maybe someone else here does. Or, if you figure it out and confirm that it works on a KOMO-DT ABC HD program, post it here so others can use it too. Of course, Monday Night Football is not HD, so you may not be able to test it tonight. I can't remember if Monk at 10 pm is broadcast in HD or not.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Dave. Very helpful. On the E86, you press "Action"--> "Services", and you can change the audio from there. Didn't get a chance to test out a 5.1 program, but I'm sure it'll work out fine.

That's an interesting note about ProLogic processing. I wasn't aware of that. I'll have to play around with that. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.