AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Interesting... More LCOS players on the table....

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I figure the more players the better. Even if their stuff doesn't live up to the best stuff it will help put some pricing pressure out there. This can only be good for us consumers, but it sure does make it difficult to know when to jump in.

--Darin

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I never thought the LCOS panels themselves were a problem, but rather the I/O and video processing components therein. Still, the more LCOS panel manufacturers the cheaper we can add them to a $3K NRS. :D

Is it really that difficult to take the under-pinnings of something like the panels, optical path, and light source from a Hitachi 5500 and mate it with a $2K video process and I/O system to seriously compete with everyone else? I mean, the only thing I am seeing as a short-coming in LCOS is the pixel-for-pixel mapping in DVI while using an outboard scaler.

If someone could OEM the 5500 and add to it a $1K solution to fix what I (and only I) see as the one-flaw then kudos! It would be a market winner. I just find that it seems strange that bringing together the panels, optical path, light-source, robust scaler, and I/O card is so difficult to accomplish.

I suppose I am looking to see something like the Marantz VP12-S2 but with the panel assembly and light source changed out (DLP->LCOSx3, wheel go bye-bye). I know I am over-simplifying the development & manufacturer aspects of the game, but ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark,

I believe the company was Kolin.

The blurb was a teaser for an internet display chip research magazine.

Don Frier

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
I mean, the only thing I am seeing as a short-coming in LCOS is the pixel-for-pixel mapping in DVI while using an outboard scaler.
WanMan,

Are you referring to the 1400x1050 over DVI issue with the SX21? If so, as others have posted this wasn't an LCOS issue, but just an issue with what was available when they first started and it has been stated that it would only need to be changed in the software. William already tested and says that it works.

--Darin

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WanMan
Darin, I wasn't talking about the SX-21.
You said a shortcoming of LCOS, but did you really mean just a shortcoming of the 5500? Is this issue the same on other LCOS machines, like the G15? Just wondering if this just has more to do with Hitachi or with LCOS in general. Like I lot of people I am hoping to get a 1920x1080 LCOS machine in the next year or two and hope that it would support pixel perfect mapping over DVI.

Thanks,

Darin

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Darin, this is a good question. My original statement was one from poor memory of individuals making negative comments regarding the inability to access the entire LCOS panel without having to use the projector's internal scanner. If the G15 is capable of this, cool. But, an LCOS projector that allows someone to DVI access the entire panel, pixel address that is, without using the internal scanner is something I think smoe would like to see, myself included.

I would love to see a 1920x1080 LCOS product with DVI that allows the internal scanner to be comlpetely bypassed. Of course, I'd like to clone my wife too and put them to work no my basement theater, but it'll never happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.