AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KOVR has gone several months now without any audio or visual problems that I have noted. However, the last two nights I have experienced severe audio distortion from all the front channels on 13.1. It was present during Big Brother and JAG. I'm surprised no one else has reported the problem.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think they may be in the process of installing equipment to carry new CBS Dolby 5.1 sound. It sure did make watching JAG last night a struggle, even though it was a rerun.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
I have the same problem with a couple of stations here in Fresno, but only when using digital output from the stb (Sony HD-200 and earlier a Hughes E-86) with DD enabled on the stb. Analog output sound is a bit loud but not distorted, and if I switch digital audio output from Dolby Digital to PCM the sound distortion is gone but it's still a little loud.

I've had this problem on the Fox and WB affilliates only, both owned by Pappas broadcasting. Repeated e-mail contact with the station engineer for both channels have been useless.

If you guys haven't already, try using the analog output from the stb, or turning off DD in the stb setup menu--might get rid of the distortion.

If you get an explanation of this from your station engineers, please post so I can relay the info to the station engineer for the 2 channels I'm having the problem on? TIA.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm also getting the same audio problem. with the MyHD PC card a Sony TV w/built in tuner and the recordings made with the Fusion HDTV card had the same audio problem.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This particular audio distortion only occurred on Wednesday Thursday and Friday night. The problem is gone tonight.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I just popped into this thread and was wondering if any of you folks could elaborate on the kind of distortion you were hearing on KOVR? Last night I tuned in several times during CBS prime, and the audio was unusable as it was constantly cutting in and out. However, the instant they left the CBS feed at 11pm and went to Letterman (upconverted from a local tape playback), the problem went away.

Is this the same problem, or something else? Has anyone else experienced this?

--Bill R.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not getting complete cutouts, but on Monday (haven't had time to watch anything since then) during CSI:Miami, I was getting audio cutouts. For me, it is almost like I was losing the signal. However, I checked the signal strength and I was at almost 100% and didn't get any video drops at all.

I'm gonna watch CSI tonight...I'll let you know if I hear it again tonight.

Andrew

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I've been watching on my D6000 and recording on my FusionII HD PC Card a ton of KOVR prime time HD programming and have not heard any audio problems at all.

Then suddenly last night during the entire King of Queens show (only the HD hour) the audio was horrible. It would constantly cut out every 1 to 2 seconds. The dialog was almost unintelligible. No popping, just random and repeated millisecond long drops. Made it sound like the audio was like warbling or gargling.

Hammer

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hammerdwn

Then suddenly last night during the entire King of Queens show (only the HD hour) the audio was horrible. It would constantly cut out every 1 to 2 seconds. The dialog was almost unintelligible. No popping, just random and repeated millisecond long drops. Made it sound like the audio was like warbling or gargling.
Yeah, that's a good description. That's pretty much what I heard on Monday.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hammerdwn

Hammer
This is a good description of the audio distortion I experienced when I started this thread back on 9/19. I haven't experienced it since but I also haven't watched much CBS programming lately.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Well this is lovely... The station is broadcasting at 94%, but right now it's nothing but a black screen and no audio. Do we get to see CSI & WAT tonight?

Hammer

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the same audio problems last night. But tonight I'm getting about a 75% signal which should be fine but no Picture. (using a MY HD card in my PC and no picture with my Sony with an integrated hd tuner)All i get is a black screen. Is anyone else getting KOVR?

·
Registered
809 Posts
Nothing here in Roseville. No CSI this week I guess.

·
Registered
46 Posts
no kovr hear for at least an hour and still counting. Noticed the outage at 8:00 PM and have been trying trying trying....ARGGGHHH!

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I'm 15 miles from the KOVR transmitter -- getting zippo here on two different STBs. Just got my HD set this week and was, uh, kinda lookin' forward to CSI. Oh well, good thing I backed it up in TiVo from the analog broadcast ...

--Bill R.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.