AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you seen the first two movies on DVD? The third comes out this June. I enjoy them for the incredible cinematography, and for using movies as a purely visual art form, as opposed to a more typical plot driven movie. I use them alot to show off the resolution of my system, but mostly people enjoy the imagery when I show them these. They both seem to my eyes to be fairly good transfers. What do you quys think?

Mark

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I love Koyaanisqatsi I never thought I would find a better one of it's type. The Philip Glass soundtrack is awesome in surround sound. That being said I would have to rank Baraka slightly ahead of Koyaanisqatsi. Baraka came out in a new widescreen anamorphic editon which I think offers a better picture than Koyaanisqatsi as well as having a great soundtrack.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is it true that the movies were shot in 1.37:1 format and MGM crop the top and the bottom in order to make the movie "widescreen"? I think that someone compare the DVD with the original movie and found this. Unless of course the same old super-35 issue so we have to check how the movie was released in theaters.

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lahire_trebual
Is it true that the movies were shot in 1.37:1 format and MGM crop the top and the bottom in order to make the movie "widescreen"? I think that someone compare the DVD with the original movie and found this. Unless of course the same old super-35 issue so we have to check how the movie was released in theaters.
The vast majority of movies shot with spherical lenses are photographed on a 1.37:1 negative and then matted to 1.85:1 for theatrical presentation.

http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen_matted.shtml

Yes, Koyaanisqatsi was shot this way, as were thousands of other movies. the movie played theatrically at 1.85:1. Previous video editions opened up the matting to expose excess picture at the top and bottom of the frame.

Now, because of the nature of this movie's photography and its general compositional sense, the extra picture is sometimes pleasing. The film's director has gone back and forth on which he prefers. Both are valid presentations, in that case.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looooooooooooooooove these movies. Well, the first 2 anyway.... the 3rd never started anywhere near me... so I'm anxiously awaiting the DVD.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
How do you guys rank Chronos compared to those 3?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Koyaanisqatsi was visionary. It's low budget/stock footage roots do tend to come through on the current DVD though. Powaqqatsi was so much better looking, but ultimately I still prefer Koyaanisqatsi. If all of Powaqqatsi was half as good as that first scene in the mine though... That truly is an amazing scene with incrediable music. By itself it's my favorite scene from both films together.

Here's an interesting take on the trilogy I read somewhere long enough ago that I can't recall where:
  • Koyaanisqatsi: Timelapse-qatsi
  • Powaqqatsi: Slowmo-qatsi
  • Nagoyaqatsi: Digi-qatsi

I too haven't been able to see the third movie yet, but this appears to fit. :D I was exposed to Baraka before either of these movies and still prefer it, especially with the new transfer. The images and music of Baraka are a lot more diverse. Still, it owes a lot to Koyaanisqatsi for paving the way. Good stuff. :D

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cor,

I agree with you on P vs. K. I also think that P looks better but K is a better movie. By the way thanks for turning me on to Baraka. I just put it near the top of my Netflix que. I looked at the prices for it DVDDiscount and while doing so read that the cinematographer is the same for K,P and Baraka (at least thats what I remeber). There is some tie with the makers of these movies.

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
28,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by [email protected]
I looked at the prices for it DVDDiscount and while doing so read that the cinematographer is the same for K,P and Baraka (at least thats what I remeber). There is some tie with the makers of these movies.
The cinematographer of Koyaanisqatsi, Ron Fricke, directed Baraka. Powaqqatsi and Naqoyqatsi had different cinematographers.

I also prefer Baraka as the best of the series, though Koyaanisqatsi is of course a great movie. Powaqqatsi bored the crap out of me. Haven't seen the latest one yet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.