AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started to unbox my new KP51WS500 51-Inch TV. Even though it was purchased yesterday, April 19th, it has a manufacturing date of October 2002. I know I have read in a few different posts about the sets built since new year (Jan 03) should already have the flicker situation resolved (hopefully). Does anyone know for sure that is the case? I don't know if I should stop and take it back to Circuit City to see if I can get a 2003 set, or just proceed ahead with unboxing and hook it up. Then I guess I will just have to wait and see....That doesn't sound too comforting, but neither does taking it back.

Please let me know if anyone has had a failure with sets manufactured in late 2002. I tried Sony and all they would say is that all sets being sold today should not have the flicker symptom.

Share your opinion, should I go ahead and keep this one, or go through the process of trying to get it replaced before I even hook it up??:confused:

I guess I should have checked it while still at the store, although when I brought it up, the sales people seemed to not have a clue what I was referring to. So, who knows if they will even give me a hassle if I ask for a replacement.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i would go for the 1/03 manufacturing date if you can do it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine has a build date of sept 2002.

I bought it Oct 15,2002.

On April 9,2003 I got the flicker problem.

Its in the repair shop now.

I would not buy a pre Jan 2003 set or you will have to have it repaired.

I also bought mine at Circuit City.

Tell them you want a new one ordered (with a 2003 build date) from Sony or else you will return your set and go to Best Buy.

Buy the way its a great set!

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just had my decision made for me. I hooked it up this morning and about 10 mins into viewing, the screen started to switch into all blue. Over the course of next 30 seconds, it progressed into extreme bright blue, followed by a pop and the set then seemed to turn itself off and reset. Came back on and picture was then still mostly blue and top and bottom of screen bowed in (down from top, up from bottom). That led to the corners actually being beyond viewing and cutoff. I then tried different inputs. Satellite,DVD, VHS, etc. It was still distorted in all modes. By time I went through all inputs, it had actually started to clear itself up. It has done it one other time today and that is enough for me to know this thing is going right back to the local Circuit City and getting a replacement. Not that this is the Pre-03 flicker symptom, but I am going to make sure that the new set is built this year before I even leave the store. Makes me wonder what this set has been through since Oct-02??? Am I the first owner of this, or did the last one return it to their shelves also?? Guess I'll never know, but hope I have better luck with the next one. When it settles down and screen clears up, I do love the output of this set, just scared now if there is big problems down the line if I stick with this Make/Model.

Thanks for the responses, I hope this all works out well. Just need to wait now for the rain to end so I can get it back to the store in the pickup without the box being soaked. I'm sure that wouldn't help my case when I walk to the return counter with a 51 inch TV in tow...with the box soaked!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The sets that are effected all begin with the serial number 90*******. Anything after that is fine. It has less to do with the manufacture date. The problem is caused by the spark gap in the CRT being to short for the drive signal from the boards. There are 2 fixes. Two surface mount resistors and a 1/2 watt on the 200V line or all 3 CRTs if that doesn't fix it. And after putting in these resistors 20+ times I can say they are small as hell. Not a fun repair for anyone.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Andrewvanh,

I have a KP57HW40 built in Sept 01, with a serial number starting with 97. Can I assume I won't have a flicker problem? It's been working flawlessly for 18 months now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.