Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a KP61-HS10 that I bought 3+ years ago, but until recently I only had 480i sources. Recently, I got both a 1080i (cable box) and 480p (xbox) source, and was dismayed to find out that my set indeed has the dreaded "banding" problem. Really makes me wish I had borrowed a progressive scan DVD back in the day, when the thing was still under warranty, because now it's going to cost me $335 if I want to get it fixed.

I applied the PWM1 fix in all 3 modes, and while it certainly improves the problem, it did not get rid of it entirely, at least not in the 480p mode. The xbox makes a great test tool for 480p since I can control the scene and move things around to see the bands clearly. At PWM1 of 42 the bands become very faint (edge of the bezel is around 45), but they don't go away completely until I crank PWM1 up so high that I obscure the bright objects I had positioned on the side of the screen - not very acceptable. I did have the brightness and contrast cranked up some so I could see the problem more clearly, so I'm hoping that when I put them back to normal levels, I won't notice.

But, of course, I'll still know they're there, and i've got another minor problem with the screen that i'd like to get fixed, so no matter how much I try to rationalize it, I can probably kiss that $335 goodbye :) but i would like to hear from someone who has had the hardware fix applied - did it work completely? Also, i'd like to know exactly what to say to sony service (i.e. what service bulletin # to reference, etc) to make sure they know what problem i'm talking about, since I've seen reports of people having a hard time with that.

thanks,

todd.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks for the tip in your original message. I am pretty handy with the service menu and have the service manual. I ended up moving the PWM1 value to around 38 (4 clicks inside the bezel edge at 42) and the problem seems to be pretty much gone (at least no glaringly noticeable). I just wish I would have done that about 3 years ago when I got the KP-61XBR300.

By the way, I did have the other problem on my set fixed where the resistors were changed due to the constant resetting of the input signal ("480p or 1080i flashing on the screen").

Right now it looks good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.