AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, Wednesday April 23 03, at 11 PM, KQED started messing around. They switched off the SDTV sub-channel and re-labeled the HDTV sub-channel 30-3. "Visions of Italy" was showing. (As an aside, I think it looked better than usual, but my visual memory may be faulty.)

After a minute or so, they turned off the HDTV signal and had 4 sub-channel SDTV multicasting, on 30-3 through 30-6. 30-3 had the Muddy Waters program that had been shown earlier: it looked darker this time.

I checked this out for about five minutes, and I was able to get a lock on the audio only once. I have not had that problem for over a year. There may be something funny about the way they multi-plex the audio.

The question is: did anyone else observe this, and, if so, did you have audio troubles. I'm using a DTC100 with updated firmware.

JamesF

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
I noticed something as I was surfing. I went to 9.1 and my tuner bounced me to another channel (as you say I guess it was 30.something). Anyway, I had the tuner re-search the channels and it seemed okay after that. You weren't crazy - they did do something wierd...

Best,

jeff

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I received this today. Started a thread to alert Bay Area viewers.

One of our engineers let me know that he did some work on our PSIP today, and that may cause a problem for some receivers. You may need to do a rescan, or enter our channels manually, in order to restore us to your line-up.

Red Dana

Manager, KQED TV9 & DT9 Viewer Services

·
Registered
49 Posts
Could some or all of this be why the signal strength for KQED has dropped for me here in Santa Clara? I used to be able to count on KQED and KPIX as the only OTA stations with enough signal strength for my receiver to lock on with any regularity. Now, KPIX remains but KQED is too weak to lock. Does "multicasting" mean that the same transmitter power is now split up between more channels equating to less power for any single channel?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.