AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am returning my second defective auto vga switcher to Marketek. (And I waited two months to receive the first.)

Each unit does the same thing.

With two Sources connected, only the Source on Input 1 works. If I switch vga cables around taking Source 1 from Input 1 (working) and switching Source 2 to Input 1, now Source 2 works but not Source 1. Switch them back and the same thing happens. Each Source works on Input 1 but not on Input 2.

Here's where it gets interesting. Both Sources will work on Input 2 as long as nothing is connected to Input 1.

How can two units in a row do this? Marketek claims that I am the only one with the problem.

My two Sources are a Dish 6000 hdtv receiver and an ExpressVu 6000 hdtv receiver.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Shelly,

I have the same switcher and am using it with a DTC100 and a PC. It works great. When both of your sources are connected what happens when you turn the power off on the device connected to input 1? I have a DTC100 connected to input 1 and when I turn it off or switch to s-video/composite out the unit switches to the PC (input 2). It sounds like something fishy is going on here. I doubt it is a defective switcher. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Jay

[This message has been edited by jerndl (edited 04-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I turn off the Source to Input 1, and turn on the Source to Input 2, nothing happens. Once for a few seconds I actually got the signal through but it soon went blank.

When both sources are connected, only Input 1 has a signal, whether Input 2 source is on or off. When Input 1 source is off, nothing comes through Input 2. I have gone back and forth many times.

Only when I physically disconnect the cable to Input 1 will Input 2 work with either source connected to it. For example, with both sources connected and turned on, I see Input 1. When I turn off the source to Input 1 (while the source to Input 2 is still on), the screen goes blank. then if I physically remove the cable from Input 1, Input 2 comes on the screen immediately. So my cables are ok, and my sources are ok. How can two units be defective like this?

And Input 1 always works, whether or not there is a cable connected to Input 2.

Is there anything I have not tried yet?

[This message has been edited by shelly (edited 04-05-2001).]

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Shelly,

It is possible that your hdtv receivers are always sending "something" out the RGB port even when powered off. One way to test this is to (with both sources on and connected) unplug the AC power cord on the unit connected to input 1. If it switches to input 2 then plug the power cord back in to see if it switches back to input 1. If this happens then it shows that the STBs are continuously sending some signal on the RGB port when plugged in (even if powered off). I have heard of some equipment doing this. You may also want to try toggling the STB on input1 to the s-video output (this may "turn off" the RGB output). The DTC100 works this way. Let me know how you make out.

Jay

[This message has been edited by jerndl (edited 04-05-2001).]

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Mike,

The clicking you here is the unit actually switching. It is normal to hear this ONCE whenever it switches. If it keeps clicking (several times) it may be switching back and forth between input 1 and input 2. I wonder if there is something wierd with the Dish 6000 that is causing this. I have only heard of one other problem with the Kramer switcher and it was a different problem. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
311 Posts
shelly,

Are you using a transcoder? If so, then I think I can solve your problem.

Kent

·
Registered
311 Posts
shelly,

Are you using a transcoder? If so, then I think I can solve your problem.

Kent

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It occurred to me (sometime in my sleep) that some current must be continually sent through the 6000 to the Kramer. Iwill soon try to hook it all back up and toggle Input 1 to sd.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
YES!!! Thanks so much. I realized that the 6000 hdtv receiver, even when turned Off, must still be sending some current into the Kramer switcher, fooling it into thinking the 6000 was On.

I'm a great trouble shooter, but it never would have occurred to me that the 6000 receiver would Not send a current if in the SD mode.

So the work around for my Dish 6000 and my ExpressVu 6000 is to keep both on but to toggle one from HD to SD to get the other signal.

I've called Marketek technical support to inform them of the work around for this problem.

I love this forum.

[This message has been edited by shelly (edited 04-06-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.