AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 Source

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.

Name of Product: Amplifiers

Units: About 2,300

Distributor: Krell Industries LLC, of Orange, Conn.

Hazard: The amplifiers were designed to operate at a temperature warm to the touch. However, a component input device can fail and cause the amplifiers to overheat, posing burn and fire hazards to consumers.

Incidents/Injuries: Krell has received 50 reports of the amplifiers overheating including reports of smoke and electrical fire. No injuries have been reported.

Description: This recall involves Krell power amplifiers with model numbers KAV-250a, KAV-250a/3, KAV-500i and KAV-1500. The amplifiers are used to provide power to a loudspeaker in a home audio playback system. The Krell logo is printed on the front of the amplifier.

Sold by: Authorized dealers and distributors of audio equipment nationwide from January 1997 through February 2001 for between $3,000 and $8,000.

Manufactured in: USA

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the amplifiers, and contact Krell to schedule the free installation of replacement fuses.

Consumer Contact: For additional information contact Krell at (888) 436-6055 between 9 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.krellonline.com . Consumers can also email the firm at [email protected]

CPSC is still interested in receiving incident or injury reports that are either directly related to this product recall or involve a different hazard with the same product. Please tell us about it by visiting https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did a search for Krell + Recalled before I posted. Found nothing. If you click on the link, you'll find the news was just released yesterday. I received the email minutes before I posted. If the post is redundant, I regret wasting your time

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I dunno about the recall. But I have seen a few posts about Krell amps actually catching fire.

I think Krell has known about the issue for quite some time and been doing the fix on their own accord.

Good posting about the recall for sure. Lots of older model krell owners on here.

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Yes

And for Nascar, Class A in simple terms results in all the transistors get full power all the time, no matter if the amp is idle or under load. A lot of the power goes to heat.

I've never owned a pure class A amp, but some audio purists maintain they have a superior sound. Most conventional amps found in receivers are class A/B, meaning they operate in class A mode until a certain power level then switch to class B mode; they are more efficient and cooler running than pure class A designs.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
So much for that great misleading opinion that high end manufacturers make better, more reliable products because they are not made in China

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
Gee, that's gonna cost, huh? Maybe we should start up a raffle or suggest that Krell incorporate itself as a banking institution so they could be eligible for TARP funds.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Douglas Self more or less dismisses the need for class A. He feels you can make class B amps with good enough performance.

The main problem with class B (compared to class A) is crossover distortion. Feedback is apparently the method to deal with that. And before you ask, Self dismisses critics of Feedback. So do other engineers like Leach and Eliott.

FYI, here's an article on eliminating distortion in amps through feedback -

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/distortion+fb.htm#a8

·
Registered
5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/17035715

Douglas Self more or less dismisses the need for class A. He feels you can make class B amps with good enough performance.

The main problem with class B (compared to class A) is crossover distortion. Feedback is apparently the method to deal with that. And before you ask, Self dismisses critics of Feedback. So do other engineers like Leach and Eliott.

FYI, here's an article on eliminating distortion in amps through feedback -

http://sound.westhost.com/articles/distortion+fb.htm#a8

Oh, but the purists know better
They just know

·
Banned
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 /forum/post/17035553

Yes

And for Nascar, Class A in simple terms results in all the transistors get full power all the time, no matter if the amp is idle or under load. A lot of the power goes to heat.

I've never owned a pure class A amp, but some audio purists maintain they have a superior sound. Most conventional amps found in receivers are class A/B, meaning they operate in class A mode until a certain power level then switch to class B mode; they are more efficient and cooler running than pure class A designs.

I thought I read something about them being designed to run hotter then the competition based on design.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve. /forum/post/17036189

That's at least a $10,000,000 recall.

I love it, I hope they suck it all up and fall on their face.....Down with elitest overpriced BS

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyaspie /forum/post/17054494

Someone has amp envy.

Oh yeah, I want a krell amp

·
Registered
11 Posts
The notice is still on the front page of their web site. I sent the folks at Krell the serial number for my amplifier when the recall was announced in July. They were quick to respond. I had dealt with them before regarding a ground loop issue after I purchased a KAV-1500 on Audiogon. My unit did not require additional work; its manufacture date fell outside the range of those that shipped with the "bad" fuses. ... And sure, it runs a little on the warm side, but it cranks out serious power all day long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts