AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a used Krell class A amp and KCT preamp. Krell doesn't transfer warrantys for used equipment. The units (especially the KCT) generate a ton of heat and I'm paranoid that something will fry in the near future and I'll be out of a lot of money. Also, sellers often say "just back from the Krell factory."

Any feedback on how reliable Krell Class A stuff is?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have had a Krell KSA100 and KSA 80 for 20 years never had a problem even when I accidently crossed the terminal. The 15 amp fuse just blew. The best amp money can buy and does not lose value

Arnie

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had a KSA50 paired with a Conrad Johnson tube pre for around 20 also and have had the C-J sent back for retube a few times. The Krell only needed some vacuuming every few months.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Most of Krell's stuff generate lots of heat since they are biased heavily into Class A. I have three Krell FPB 350 MCX and 3 FPB 250M amps and I have not had any problems. Mu dad had a FPB 200 and 2 FPB 250M and one 250M had a defective capacitor. Overall, I think Krell tends to over design their stuff so it's pretty reliable.

Rich

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Krell makes great electronics. You should be fine as long as you dust them off every now and then. If your place is dusty, I would recommend using compressed air to make sure too much dust doesnt settle onto the IC's.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Think of it this way. If you run a regular 100W light bulb on a dimmer circuit so it puts out about 10W, the bulb runs for decades. (I know, I have some in my house).

Even though the Krell amps runs hot, the designs do not run the components at their limits, so there is safety margin built in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob
Think of it this way. If you run a regular 100W light bulb on a dimmer circuit so it puts out about 10W, the bulb runs for decades. (I know, I have some in my house).
To make a bit of a jump ... I often hear/read R. Ebert complaining about theater managers who dim their projection bulbs in the "mistaken" belief that it will extend life. I recently read a post in the FP board which was however *advocating* the bulb dimming theory for home users who do want to stretch their bulbs. I'm curious what the views of board members here are on the subject.

·
Registered
8,416 Posts
No matter how much of the capacity of the unit is being used, all that heat has an adverse effect on the electronic parts such as resistors, diodes, capacitors, etc.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Walker
To make a bit of a jump ... I often hear/read R. Ebert complaining about theater managers who dim their projection bulbs in the "mistaken" belief that it will extend life. I recently read a post in the FP board which was however *advocating* the bulb dimming theory for home users who do want to stretch their bulbs. I'm curious what the views of board members here are on the subject.
There is truth to this.

My Qualia FP does this automatically to extend the life of the bulb, and keep it's light output consistant over the life of the bulb. You won't detect any dimming until failure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.