AVS Forum banner

3321 - 3340 of 5158 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey all, well my problem returned with sources blacking out unless I downgrade them from 1080p. It seems as though some sources ( xbox one, arcam blu ray player) are having a hard time syncing with the Krell. My dealer said its a hdmi "handshake" problem because my sony vw600es isnt registering through the krell. So the sources start to black out and try to reconnect ect, I even see a warning on the bottom right of the screan saying " frequency out of range" in red.

My dealer wants to try adding a hdmi sync module: http://atlona.com/product/at-uhd-sync/
Has anyone tried this? He wants to add it between the krell and the projector to help get the signal closer to the sources? I'm not fully sure how it works if it's in the same position as the projector.

I am concerned that I'm adding something else into the system, the reason I chose the krell was to keep things simple. At this point do you guys think I should give up on the foundation and just try another model receiver? Maybe my system just doesn't like it? Do you think I just got a defective unit and just wait for my 4k foundation to come in and hope it doesn't have the same issue?

I'm getting really frustrated, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thats great news...I also just discovered a very interesting quirk or fact however you want to look at it..lol I have a connect hooked up in my system and i was playing around with my jriver server settings and I discovered that the connect can pass dsd in dop format to my directstream thru coax or toslink..i didnt think those interconnects could handle it but they do...and if i set it to not put the dsd into dop the connect decodes the dsd and can play it thru its analog outputs and passes a corresponding pcm to the directstream thru tos or coax..i thought toslink was limited to 96k? but i have seen it do 192k..176k,,set like this?
I am just wondering if im looking at it in the wrong way or something, here are 3 pics 1 of the dsd track Norah Jones and the directstream with dop on in Jriver and 1 with it off with dop on the directstream shows dsd and off it shows 176k notice that its connected with an optical toslink cable...if anyone has any thought i would appreciate it...i know this is about things other than the foundation but it might interest some of you who like dsd and or looking for a way to play it from your sever without using your computer:):)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Yeah Krell updated the coax and optical to handle 24/192 back when they did a huge update. I did not know however that the Foundation could handle dsd over either of those two connections. In fact I am trying to accomplish this with my Marantz bluray player and so far have been unsuccessful. I will try some other settings.

Edit not my bluray player. But my NA 6005 network audio player. When I try to stream dsd to the Foundation hooked up with optical it just says waiting for audio. Then I have to hook it up with single ended connection. And I am trying to use the Foundation dacs. As it is I am using the Crystal dacs in the Marantz.

·
Super Moderator
21,316 Posts
^^^

very interesting about the Krell Connect: is this the version with optional DAC or either version?

·
Super Moderator
21,316 Posts
Hey all, well my problem returned with sources blacking out unless I downgrade them from 1080p. It seems as though some sources ( xbox one, arcam blu ray player) are having a hard time syncing with the Krell. My dealer said its a hdmi "handshake" problem because my sony vw600es isnt registering through the krell. So the sources start to black out and try to reconnect ect, I even see a warning on the bottom right of the screan saying " frequency out of range" in red.

My dealer wants to try adding a hdmi sync module: http://atlona.com/product/at-uhd-sync/
Has anyone tried this? He wants to add it between the krell and the projector to help get the signal closer to the sources? I'm not fully sure how it works if it's in the same position as the projector.

I am concerned that I'm adding something else into the system, the reason I chose the krell was to keep things simple. At this point do you guys think I should give up on the foundation and just try another model receiver? Maybe my system just doesn't like it? Do you think I just got a defective unit and just wait for my 4k foundation to come in and hope it doesn't have the same issue?

depending on your cable length, it might help:

assume you have the latest Krell FW for your unit?

I know these issues are frustrating: fwiw the 4k Foundation seems to handle HDMI very well: but HDMI is problematic at best

·
Registered
720 Posts
the X1 has a long list of issues

I think if you can lock the output of the X1 to one resolution (e.g.1080i) it might help

I don't have an X1 but I ordered one: Comcast guy came out to install it and told me he would be happy to do so, but the X1 was terrible, with lots of issues. I sent him away...
i HAVE HAD X1 SERVICE for over a year and love it...its much better than regular Comcast and depending on where you are some areas actually have native 1080p but only with x1 regular Comcast is only up-scaled 720p....it has had a lot of growing pains but its getting better and its definitely worth the occasional glitch...the main problem is that Comcast is behind the curve with upgrades on their head end equipment and transmission lines are deteriorating fast ...i think they are waiting for this whole mess with the FCC and net neutrality bologna to settle one way or the other.

·
Registered
720 Posts
^^^

very interesting about the Krell Connect: is this the version with optional DAC or either version?
yes it has the DACS they are sabre ess 9018s which are very good at dsd IMO with my testing comparing the oppo 105d to my directstream but from what i understand the streamnet board in the connect isnt supposed to do dsd...FYI they are only building them with DACS from now on no digital only anymore...If i was a betting man i would wager the connect will be getting full dsd support and better usb functionality...right now it can only handle a usb flash drive no external hdd bigger than 128gb...i would also think they could throw an asynchronous usb on it for people who want to use it as a all in one dac...right now there isnt a digital input besides the flash drive or dlna...which is very nice im way impressed with its form and function...it is everything the directstream isnt when it comes to dlna

·
Registered
247 Posts

This may be totally un-related to your issue, but I had a problem with two separate Foundation units where DirecTv would lose sound quite frequently, and other devices such as Oppo BluRay at 1080p would also lose sync. Sometimes switching to another input and back would correct the problem, and sometimes only powering Foundation or source device off and back on would solve the problem....until the next time sync was lost. I tried changing cables, changing resolutions, and even had new ground run outside for my DirecTv satelite dish. None of that solved the problem for me. Only getting a newer unit solved the problem for me. I am on my 3rd Foundation and this one is finally rock solid. Have not lost sync with any device since receiving it over two months ago. I am convinced my problem with losing sync was due to defective parts in the Foundation itself. However, I have no real evidence or confirmation from Krell to back that up. Still this unit is rock solid...not a single hiccup. The other two earlier units drove me mad.

I hope this is not your issue as well, but it is a possibility to explore.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had many issues with both original Foundation and Foundation 4k interfacing with COMCAST XFINITY. Using hdmi and 1080i I had hiccups losing 1 - 3 seconds audio every 15 - 20 minutes, both with "live" and recorded programs. I would lose signal overnight every night and have to to a hard reboot every next day turnon on both the Foundation and a bedroom Marantz processor system. Problems persisted through 3 XFINITY record boxes and 4 non record models in the bedroom system. Problem resolved when I switched back to ATT UVERSE. In 6 weeks no signal loss or reboot on either system, and more Hi def channels at cheaper price. The downside: slower internet speeds, but it works 24/7.

Also, I found out that one should NOT use redmere hdmi for 1 meter or less, and they definitely are polarity sensitive. A 2 meter to my plasma worked fine from an OPPO 105 as long as its Source side was plugged into the OPPO, but a 1 meter sourced from the OPPO or cable occasionally failed the hdmi handshake at startup. Replacing with a non redmere high quality hdmi and the handshake problem disappeared. Also, accidentally plugging in the wrong end of the redmere cable to the OPPO failed every time. Even Patrick told me not to use 1 meter (or less) redmere, and I did verify he's telling the truth.

The Foundation 4k is every bit as musical as its non 4k brother in my setup, and much better than any other pre/processor I have auditioned. I originally planned to do a rigorous comparison with some of the competition, but am reluctant to now because I would be comparing apples to oranges, and I don't want to disturb the great sound I am very happy with to insert a different processor that has a different soundstage, which would require moving the speakers to a different location. I have too many movies and music concerts to enjoy.

Current favorite audio track: Blu-ray audio only Pink Floyd: Welcome to the Machine

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
Great thanks for the info. On the Bluray music too. You r the second person now that has recommended that particular music bluray. I love Pink Floyd so I will be buying it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
well, I too am still having HDMI issues, just watching and all of a sudden tv goes black, and switching inputs on the Foundation does not bring it back, the only way is to turn the Foundation off and on to restore the HDMI to the TV.

I tried another HDMI cable and its the same, so it sounds like the Foundation is losing it somewhere and wont reset after an input change either. Its happened 3 x today. I tried going down to 1080i and it did not help on the Xfinity box, o not sure whats up. Will they be changing these HDMI boards for the 4K upgrade? I am thinking so and I just need to get it in for that upgrade soon.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well, I too am still having HDMI issues, just watching and all of a sudden tv goes black, and switching inputs on the Foundation does not bring it back, the only way is to turn the Foundation off and on to restore the HDMI to the TV.

I tried another HDMI cable and its the same, so it sounds like the Foundation is losing it somewhere and wont reset after an input change either. Its happened 3 x today. I tried going down to 1080i and it did not help on the Xfinity box, o not sure whats up. Will they be changing these HDMI boards for the 4K upgrade? I am thinking so and I just need to get it in for that upgrade soon.
I'm in line for a 4K upgrade so I'll figure out if it helps. My unit was manufactured in July 2014 so maybe the newer units will be updated. Does anyone else have an Xbox one connected to the foundation? This is the one source that just can't keep connected at 1080p - but 720p doesn't have any issues.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I'm in line for a 4K upgrade so I'll figure out if it helps. My unit was manufactured in July 2014 so maybe the newer units will be updated. Does anyone else have an Xbox one connected to the foundation? This is the one source that just can't keep connected at 1080p - but 720p doesn't have any issues.
I have switched to 720P as well now so I will know soon if it loses signal as with 1080P/I. I am really trying to find out the status of the upgrade as its been a year now.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Well, so much for that lost it at 720P this am again so its not the resolution. no idea now, left a message for Partick. Also just changed the HDMI again from the comcast box just to make sure with a different brand

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well, so much for that lost it at 720P this am again so its not the resolution. no idea now, left a message for Partick. Also just changed the HDMI again from the comcast box just to make sure with a different brand
I don't think it has to do with resolution. My new unit switches between 720p and 1080i all day on DirecTv with no problems. Bluray rock solid at 1080p. My older units (Foundations mfgd in 2013) would lose audio many times per day, and lose video and audio occaisionally. I did not switch software, source components or cables. The newer Foundation unit just works and all these issues are gone for me. I really think it is hardware/parts.

This unit appears to have been mfgd in March 2014....serial number begins with 02881403

·
Registered
17 Posts
When was your unit manufactured? It should be in the serial number. As someone said earlier, maybe the older runs have these problems?

·
Registered
216 Posts
When was your unit manufactured? It should be in the serial number. As someone said earlier, maybe the older runs have these problems?
Comcast has alot of older model Motorola boxes in circulation. They may well be the source of the problem. I had similar dropouts til I switched to ATT and their modern dvr's.

·
Registered
619 Posts
My serial number is 028814010319 and the Comcast box is the newer X1 platform. So I noticed last night that the screen saver was set at 30 min, and am wondering if thats the problem so I changed it to 5 hrs and will try that today to see what happens. The other option I have is to push the Cable through the OPPO and see if that solves it. So there are still options.

But if I cant get this right I may have to cancel Comcast as I am still in the 30 day period, and maybe try Direct TV. I just switched from Uverse which was just horrible.

·
Registered
619 Posts
well, that didnt work either, I switched to another HDMI input and if that does not work then I am going to try and reroute it to the OPPO and try that next, but I still cant get the Foundation to respond to any input change unless I power cycle it

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
well, that didnt work either, I switched to another HDMI input and if that does not work then I am going to try and reroute it to the OPPO and try that next, but I still cant get the Foundation to respond to any input change unless I power cycle it
If you connect your blu-ray to the Foundation using HDMI and you don't have a problem, however, you have a problem with the cable box, then your problem seems to be the cable box and not the Foundation.

3321 - 3340 of 5158 Posts