AVS Forum banner

5101 - 5120 of 5158 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Has anyone tried connecting a 3.5mm cable from the back of a Harmony Hub to the RC-5 port on the back of the Foundation?

Normally, IR blasters are connected to the rear of the hub but would a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable work?

TIA.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone tried connecting a 3.5mm cable from the back of a Harmony Hub to the RC-5 port on the back of the Foundation?

Normally, IR blasters are connected to the rear of the hub but would a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable work?

TIA.
yes, I did and it did not work.
It's actually a 2.5mm connection on the back fo the Harmony Hub so I made an adapter, but it did nothing. I called tech support at Harmony and they said the signal coming out of the back of the Hub is an IR Signal, not an RC-5 signal.
If you ever find a way to make that happen please let me know! The IR receptor on the Foundation is spotty at best.

·
Registered
262 Posts
yes, I did and it did not work.
It's actually a 2.5mm connection on the back fo the Harmony Hub so I made an adapter, but it did nothing. I called tech support at Harmony and they said the signal coming out of the back of the Hub is an IR Signal, not an RC-5 signal.
If you ever find a way to make that happen please let me know! The IR receptor on the Foundation is spotty at best.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess a device that converts IR to RC-5 would be needed in the chain.

I find the IR receiver on the Foundation gets overloaded so doesn't change inputs after the power on cycle in an activity.

Edit: I discovered the 2.5mm issue with the Harmony Hub when I tried to plug in some IR blasters from my old Harmony 895 hub. Why, oh, why did they have to change from the industry standard?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Does anybody know what the S1 and S2 audio outputs (single ended or balanced) are for? The manual barely even mentions them and certainly does not explain their purpose.

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
Does anybody know what the S1 and S2 audio outputs (single ended or balanced) are for? The manual barely even mentions them and certainly does not explain their purpose.

subwoofer 1&2

·
Super Moderator
21,315 Posts
my Foundation sometimes does not detect audio when switching sources: mainly coax/ optical digital inputs: if I switch inputs again or wait a few seconds, the audio is detected: anyone notice this?

·
Registered
262 Posts
my Foundation sometimes does not detect audio when switching sources: mainly coax/ optical digital inputs: if I switch inputs again or wait a few seconds, the audio is detected: anyone notice this?
I don't have this issue but I do have issues with ARC from my LG TV. I almost always have to into the TV's settings, switch of ARC and then re-enable it in order for the Foundation to pick up the audio signal.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to simulate an old school type tape loop with the Foundation. I want to be able to sometimes insert an external device (let's use an outboard equalizer for example) between the Foundation's output and my amp. But I don't want to do a hard install from the Foundation pre outs to the unit and then the unit to the amp as I only want to use the unit for special listening occasions and not have it in the middle all the time (even though it does have a pass through setting).

Could I use zone 2 outputs to feed the device from one of the Foundation's sources (say CD) and then connect the device outputs to one of the analog inputs on the Foundation and choose that as my zone 1 source? I realize that the zone 2 outputs are not line level, but suspect I could get the volume level set to a point where it'd be similar to line level.

I'm open to all thoughts about the approach outlined above or any other way of making this work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't have this issue but I do have issues with ARC from my LG TV. I almost always have to into the TV's settings, switch of ARC and then re-enable it in order for the Foundation to pick up the audio signal.
I think the Foundation's switching *whatevers* are its biggest weak link (next to its IR receiver!)
I mean I love the thing and it sounds excellent, it's just I have friends who have $500 Yamaha receivers that handle all the switching/input detection/programming is simple and obvious better than the Krell.

I love it, but I just can't afford a McIntosh MX-16o... :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to simulate an old school type tape loop with the Foundation. I want to be able to sometimes insert an external device (let's use an outboard equalizer for example) between the Foundation's output and my amp. But I don't want to do a hard install from the Foundation pre outs to the unit and then the unit to the amp as I only want to use the unit for special listening occasions and not have it in the middle all the time (even though it does have a pass through setting).

Could I use zone 2 outputs to feed the device from one of the Foundation's sources (say CD) and then connect the device outputs to one of the analog inputs on the Foundation and choose that as my zone 1 source? I realize that the zone 2 outputs are not line level, but suspect I could get the volume level set to a point where it'd be similar to line level.

I'm open to all thoughts about the approach outlined above or any other way of making this work.
Reading what you said, I can't see why you would be opposed to using a device with a pass through feature? Surely it can't introduce more noise (I am assuming that is your concern) versus the convoluted in/out/back in/back out set up using Zone 1 and 2 you described? (that's not meant to be snarky) :)

The extra cables and various connection points alone would introduce more noise, although probably undetectable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hah, was gonna say "download the manual!" - and you are right. There is no place where it actually defines what the individual balanced outs *do*

Weird, well, not really. It's Krell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Krell Foundation and Amazon UHD music question/issue.

Hello:

Has anybody gotten Amazon UHD music to play through the Krell Foundation? I can get it to work 24bit/48khz. Cannot get it to work with 24bit/96khz or anything above the basic 24/48.

Full disclosure. Tried both my iPAD and Mac Mini 2018. My Foundation is not 4K. It does have the latest firmware patch for a non 4k. The Mac says it is outputting at 96khz but I get no sound output. Going from the Mac USB-c to the Foundation over HDMI.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I don't have any ARC problem from my Samsung TV, but I do have CEC problem. I can't control the Foundation volume from the Samsung remote

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but does anybody knows if the Foundation do bass management on LPCM 5.1/7.1?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just received an email:
Hi all,

Just discovered this great thread. Not sure why it took me this long. :) I have a foundation (non 4k) paired with Chorus 7200. Can't be happier.

May I know the difference between the two combo:
  1. Foundation + HDMI switcher
  2. Foundation upgraded to 4k + HDMI switcher
Like many others, I'm currently taking the 4K HDR HDMI output from my Oppo 205 directly to TV and the HDMI audio output to my foundation. Was thinking of upgrading to F4K but found out abt. the lack of HDR (via this very thread! Tx!) So I probably will get the Krell HDMI switcher but debating whether I should do the F4k upgrade as well.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hi all,

Just discovered this great thread. Not sure why it took me this long. :) I have a foundation (non 4k) paired with Chorus 7200. Can't be happier.

May I know the difference between the two combo:
  1. Foundation + HDMI switcher
  2. Foundation upgraded to 4k + HDMI switcher
Like many others, I'm currently taking the 4K HDR HDMI output from my Oppo 205 directly to TV and the HDMI audio output to my foundation. Was thinking of upgrading to F4K but found out abt. the lack of HDR (via this very thread! Tx!) So I probably will get the Krell HDMI switcher but debating whether I should do the F4k upgrade as well.
The key here is HDMI 2.0b specs for the Krell HDR switcher.

By adding this AV switcher to either Foundation or Foundation 4k processor, this will give way to HDR10 and Dolby Vision video pass-through capabilities. I think the Foundation 4k only provides 4K x 2K signals @ 30 Hertz refresh rate, with 24-bit RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4/YCbCr 4:2:2 colour bit, and up to 4k x 2k @ 60Hz with 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:0...so no HDR10/HDR10+ nor 4k Dolby Vision for either Foundation variation (e.g. 4K HDR10+/DV @ 18Gbps/600MHz). I'm fairly certain that audio is untouched by the Krell switcher, so all is video related. By untouched audio I mean that the audio won't be touched/upgraded in any way (e.g. it won't upgrade a mere 5.1 Dolby Digital audio signal to Dolby Atmos): what comes in, it goes out. However, I think it does have the capability of extracting/splitting the audio/video from a single HDMI signal, much like the way Oppo 203/5 does.

Personally, I'd simply add an HDR switcher to your setup without upgrading the Foundation pre/pro to the 4k version.

Unsolicited sidebar advice: while without a doubt Krell's HDR switcher is top notch and works fantastically well with other Krell gear, some may find it a little expensive. An alternative exists for ~ 1/4 of the price: HDFury (Diva/Maestro/Vertex2: https://www.hdfury.com/). HDFury products are equally well-made, are HIGHLY regarded on this forum, with hundreds of happy users and having gained a few prestigious AV awards along the years (i.e. CEDIA EXPO '19). Also helps that HDFury helpdesk/IT support is top-notch where HDMI handshaking issues always seem to plague our HT setups. Also, if your TV supports it (e.g. latest Samsungs), the HDFury products also support HRD10+, which I don't think the Krell switch can.

EDIT: the Krell switcher DOES support HDR10+...my bad.

Note 1: whatever path you choose, to take advantage of the latest video resolutions, test your HDMI cables to ensure they support 18Gbpbs/600MHz. Given the marketing genius that's out there for cables, it's hard to distinguish cables' capabilities. You'll be amazed how many video issues stem from HDMI cables alone, most can pass 4k 4:2:0 [email protected] feeds, but pushing the signal to 4K60/4:4:4/600MHz/18Gbps that's where some fail and you get the 'sparkles' or green screen.

Note 2: to my knowledge, there is currently no source that can produce [email protected], so don't bother looking for cables touting HDMI 2.1/48Gbps. No one can accurately test them...but interestingly, HDFury products claim that they can pass through [email protected] signals, probably more future proof than other AV switchers.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sorry if this has been discussed already, but does anybody knows if the Foundation do bass management on LPCM 5.1/7.1?
I don't believe it does, certainly not to the level a dedicated Dirac BM module can. The Foundation is a SUPERLATIVE pre/pro, so don't let lack of BM deter you from keeping it - I wouldn't change it. See this link on how you can improve the LFE frequency response in your room with your existing pre/pro:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3090874-16-channel-prepros-5000-less-19.html#post59499616

·
Registered
33 Posts
The key here is HDMI 2.0b specs for the Krell HDR switcher.

By adding this AV switcher to either Foundation or Foundation 4k processor, this will give way to HDR10 and Dolby Vision video pass-through capabilities. I think the Foundation 4k only provides 4K x 2K signals @ 30 Hertz refresh rate, with 24-bit RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4/YCbCr 4:2:2 colour bit, and up to 4k x 2k @ 60Hz with 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:0...so no HDR10/HDR10+ nor 4k Dolby Vision for either Foundation variation (e.g. 4K HDR10+/DV @ 18Gbps/600MHz). I'm fairly certain that audio is untouched by the Krell switcher, so all is video related. By untouched audio I mean that the audio won't be touched/upgraded in any way (e.g. it won't upgrade a mere 5.1 Dolby Digital audio signal to Dolby Atmos): what comes in, it goes out. However, I think it does have the capability of extracting/splitting the audio/video from a single HDMI signal, much like the way Oppo 203/5 does.

Personally, I'd simply add an HDR switcher to your setup without upgrading the Foundation pre/pro to the 4k version.

Unsolicited sidebar advice: while without a doubt Krell's HDR switcher is top notch and works fantastically well with other Krell gear, some may find it a little expensive. An alternative exists for ~ 1/4 of the price: HDFury (Diva/Maestro/Vertex2: https://www.hdfury.com/). HDFury products are equally well-made, are HIGHLY regarded on this forum, with hundreds of happy users and having gained a few prestigious AV awards along the years (i.e. CEDIA EXPO '19). Also helps that HDFury helpdesk/IT support is top-notch where HDMI handshaking issues always seem to plague our HT setups. Also, if your TV supports it (e.g. latest Samsungs), the HDFury products also support HRD10+, which I don't think the Krell switch can.

EDIT: the Krell switcher DOES support HDR10+...my bad.

Note 1: whatever path you choose, to take advantage of the latest video resolutions, test your HDMI cables to ensure they support 18Gbpbs/600MHz. Given the marketing genius that's out there for cables, it's hard to distinguish cables' capabilities. You'll be amazed how many video issues stem from HDMI cables alone, most can pass 4k 4:2:0 [email protected] feeds, but pushing the signal to 4K60/4:4:4/600MHz/18Gbps that's where some fail and you get the 'sparkles' or green screen.

Note 2: to my knowledge, there is currently no source that can produce [email protected], so don't bother looking for cables touting HDMI 2.1/48Gbps. No one can accurately test them...but interestingly, HDFury products claim that they can pass through [email protected] signals, probably more future proof than other AV switchers.
Thanks. I looked up HDFury briefly, am I right to assume that the included InfraRed sensor will learn/pick up the remote signal from your existing remote for HDMI switching? I'm indeed inclined to just get the switcher but still curious about what I would gain, realistically by upgrading to F4k...

BTW, thanks for the warning on the cable. I have Zeskit 8k HDMI 2.1 cable, which *SHOULD* be ok... let's see.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks. I looked up HDFury briefly, am I right to assume that the included InfraRed sensor will learn/pick up the remote signal from your existing remote for HDMI switching? I'm indeed inclined to just get the switcher but still curious about what I would gain, realistically by upgrading to F4k...
If you are going to add the Krell switcher, I don't think you have anything to gain by upgrading to the 4K Foundation.

5101 - 5120 of 5158 Posts