AVS Forum banner

5161 - 5180 of 5210 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
If it were me, I wouldn't route them through the Foundation is its HDMI is not the latest and greatest. Maybe you need the Krell switcher?

For my Sony TV I have my OPPO and Roku directly connected.
100% this!!!!

The base/OG Foundation pre-pro (even the F4k variant) can't handle the latest HDR profiles, especially Dolby Vision or HDR10+ and the signal speeds associated with them. I can guarantee you that the Foundation can't handle video signals like LLDV/BT2020 @ 4:2:2 600MHz, something that both of your sources (Oppo or ATV4k) can. I too have the ATV4k and Cambridge Audio CXUHD (clone of the Oppo disc spinner), and had to look outside the Krell ecosystem to fix this exact issue.

So, what you need is something in between your source and the new TV that can handle 4K HDR/HLG/DV/LLDV/HDR10+ up to 18Gbps speed. While the Krell switcher will likely fix your HDMI issues, it's super expensive and may still be buggy as it's a brand new product released only a few months ago. Personally, I would go with a proven and highly regarded solution from HDFury, such as Vertex2, Diva or Maestro. Their tech support is superior, bug fixes or new features can be added in days, not months or years. They're always responsive on multiple platforms (including AVSForum where they have dedicated threads for each of their products)...companies like Krell, Marc Levinson, etc. can learn a few things here...

Hope the above helps.

·
Registered
Krell Foundation 4k processor, B&W 800 series speakers, Oppo UDP 205 Bluray player, Samsung Q900TS
2 Posts
Thanks to all for the responses, I talked to Krell tech support today and they confirmed that this is the issue and of course they recommended using their switcher to mitigate the problems.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Or maybe an HDFury device such as a Vertex2.
Just like Orange_GT3 said...HDFury Vertex2 switch will certainly fix the issue described. Actually, if I remember correctly, @Orange_GT3 him(her)self recommended me HDFury switcher about 1.5 years ago when I had similar HDMI issues with my EVO7073D.

The Vertex2 has been working FLAWLESLY in my setup since it came out in May '19 (with about 15 firmware upgrades since original release too, so HDFury does listen to their customer's feedback).

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
How seamlessly do the HDFury and the Krell interact? That's the biggest draw of the Krell switcher.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The Krell switcher replaces 4 of your existing inputs so is seemless in that respect and will allow you to maintain per input settings.

The HDFury will route all devices into 1 input on the Foundation so if, for example, you wanted room correction on for one device and not for another, you wouldn't be able to set that up using the inputs menu.

Reactions: artur9

·
Registered
2 Posts
Calibration problem - help please
ARES setup seems to work. It isend signals to and dentify all speakers, but keep asking me if subwoofer is connected. The results dont make much sense. Subwoofer is "non" under "settings". I have to change this to "present" and do other corrcetions as well.
ARES EQ set us is one big mess. I have run over 30 test and each speaker receive from 11 to 0 test-tones. The subwoofer receive from 1 to 0 test tones. I set correction to 125 hz. Correction are beeing made on the speakers but for sure not on the subwoofer. I have tried differennt things like increasing the gain and range (hz) on the subwoofer. Sometimes I can get a very loud alarm tone from the right speaker after the test tone has been reveived by the subwoofer. But never do I reveice more that one test tone. Can that be right..? I think I remember several test tones to the subfoofer when I did this a few years ago.
I also desperately try to find the "restore setting" in the meny but I just cant find it (I use my TV as monitor/display), so I cant try this option either. Can anyone please help med with the restore (factory) setting ..?

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Krell switcher replaces 4 of your existing inputs so is seemless in that respect and will allow you to maintain per input settings.

The HDFury will route all devices into 1 input on the Foundation so if, for example, you wanted room correction on for one device and not for another, you wouldn't be able to set that up using the inputs menu.
I am very pleased to see that there is more ongoing communication going on about this.

I almost forgot why I purchased my HD Fury.

The Krell switcher is very expensive what what it is.
The HD Fury has more options of what it can do more than the Krell Switcher.

I do not know why someone would give up four HDMI on the Foundation when the Fury only uses one but I think this has been answered by you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do you factory rest the Krell Foundation UHD 4K? I look in the user manual and don't see reset option in the ods menu like the manual suggest. Terrible manual btw. I sure it is a combination of holding down some buttons on the front of it when you turn on the unit. But I don't know the combination.

·
Registered
510 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
After a few months of use, always a lot of things I can't understand with my Foundation 4K, 1.49 version:

-always no changes with the three positions of display contrast.

-tried different microphones, no way to obtain a correct ARES speaker setup or ARES EQ setup.

-on a sat TV 4k source, the Krell detects "4k uhd" only on one (3) of the three memories (1086I on "1", 486p on "2", same channel) with no visible difference in the three modes.

-My sub is working on "full range+sub"

-my sub is working on dolby 5.1 signal , and I can choose PLII Movie or Neo6: works ok

-my sub is NOT working on dolby 2.0 signal, and NOT working if I choose PLII Movie or Neo6 on 2.0.

-My sub is NOT working on "PCM Party" (the manual says it may work)

Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,424 Posts
wondering if anyone is using the external 4k HDMI switcher with Foundation 4k
I thought it used the RS232 port (which I use for control) but now I see it connects to the mini USB port on the Foundation, so I might give it a try

·
Registered
4 Posts
wondering if anyone is using the external 4k HDMI switcher with Foundation 4k
I thought it used the RS232 port (which I use for control) but now I see it connects to the mini USB port on the Foundation, so I might give it a try
I have order one to use with my Foundation original version but won’t be here to sometime in January regards brian.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just joined the Krell Foundation 4K family here. I have several questions regarding the new to me unit I just acquired:

1) I can't seem to get OSD to work for me. I am assuming this is some sort of screen that stays on longer and helps you setup the multiple options; not just the 3 second help menu which pops up when you push volume up or down.
2) My remote is not working. I put a fresh set of batteries in it, and still no response.
3) My Xfinity cable box, when switched to on the Krell as a source, shows bands of distortion and flickers.

Thanks for any help. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
One more question in addition to the above post. My Krell Foundation 4K has the original firmware on it, I believe its version 1.34. I have tried updating the software version using "network" route, but every time the unit tries to download the firmware version, it gets stuck at the download screen showing "[firmware file name].... 0K" and eventually fails to download the firmware stating "Download error". Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone tried updating the unit via the USB route? If so, where/how did you obtain the updated software version? Thanks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
One more question in addition to the above post. My Krell Foundation 4K has the original firmware on it, I believe its version 1.34. I have tried updating the software version using "network" route, but every time the unit tries to download the firmware version, it gets stuck at the download screen showing "[firmware file name].... 0K" and eventually fails to download the firmware stating "Download error". Has anyone experienced this? Has anyone tried updating the unit via the USB route? If so, where/how did you obtain the updated software version? Thanks.
USB works fine. You need to contact Krell support who will send you the update.

·
Registered
39 Posts
HI there
I'm a newbie owner of the Krell Foundation non-4k in Australia.
I have been unable to get a squeak out of this unit whatsoever. It also refuses to respond to the remote after changing batteries or before either!
I've religiously followed the manual.
Here are some pics of the rca cd-krell-power amp set up

·
Registered
510 Posts
You probably need to go into the Input setup and see what audio input is set up for the CD input.

The Foundation is a fully flexible processor so the named inputs are not hardwired to a particular socket.

·
Super Moderator
21,424 Posts
all you have to do is press the ok/enter button on front panel and it will tell you which ports that input is set for
you should use the ethernet GUI;just type in the IP address of the unit; there you can select the OSD and edit settings; be sure you are on the correct zone while making any settings change

5161 - 5180 of 5210 Posts