AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

My marantz sr7002 took a poop on me a few days ago. Now my KEF q900's,600's and 300's are starting to feel neglected, it's time to start shopping. Rather than go with another "all in one"receiver like I've always owned, figured its time to graduate to a component system.

With my $800 budget in mind, I know that I am stuck with the "old school", "vintage"," obsolete" category for anything decent. Which mostly translates to lack of hdmi connectivity, forcing me to revert back to selecting video source on my TV...it will take some getting used too, but I will manage.

On to equipment selection...

I came across a Carver AV-705X amp and picked it up for $400, not a steal...yeah, but not a bad deal either. I just hope it outperforms the amps in my marantz, and have a feeling it will. So with $400 left, i have narrowed it down between the 2 pre/pro's, Krell HTS 5.1 and the Sunfire Theater Grand Processor. I simply don't know enough to know if you can even compare the 2. So I turn to anyone with experience and knowledge regarding the 2 processors, or any others in the same price range before making a decision I may regret later.

Any insight, suggestions, comments or loose change is certainly accepted and much appreciated.

Thanks!

Ryan

·
The Village Idiot
9,681 Posts
If you want to mess around with those old tech processors have at it. I'd opt for a modern HDMI capable AVR that will sound as good and function much better than either of those two. For $800 you can get one with preamp outs so you can utilize that Carver amp you picked up.

Reactions: FMW

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90  /t/1506688/krell-hts-5-1-vs-sunfire-grand-theater-processor#post_24097511

If you want to mess around with those old tech processors have at it. I'd opt for a modern HDMI capable AVR that will sound as good and function much better than either of those two. For $800 you can get one with preamp outs so you can utilize that Carver amp you picked up.

+1

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, thats great advice. However, I have $800 total to spend on the amp and pro. Already spent half on the amp so that leaves $400 for the pro. It will be tough to find anything decent with hdmi at that price point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry if I was confusing with my question.

I would love to hdmi, but the only thing I could find that comes close is the entry level emotiva for $499,its just not in the budget. The krell just became available to me for $340, but still not sure if it's the superior processor of the 2 mentioned.

Either processor paired up with my amp, I am hoping it will sound as good, if not better than my 140w/channel powerhouse marantz.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchiggins420  /t/1506688/krell-hts-5-1-vs-sunfire-grand-theater-processor#post_24098382

Sorry if I was confusing with my question.

I would love to hdmi, but the only thing I could find that comes close is the entry level emotiva for $499,its just not in the budget. The krell just became available to me for $340, but still not sure if it's the superior processor of the 2 mentioned.

Either processor paired up with my amp, I am hoping it will sound as good, if not better than my 140w/channel powerhouse marantz.

You're going to hate my advice but here it is. If you can't afford a receiver with preamp outputs then I would wait and save up until I can. In the meantime you can buy a low end receiver for under $200 that will run your home theater and (I know you hate this) and sound exactly the same. When you can afford a modern AVR with preamp outputs, you can put the little recever on Ebay or keep it as a backup. Buying old equipment that doesn't have HDMI is the last thing I would advise you to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why is everyone so hung up on hdmi? I dont believe it reflrects on SQ, am I wrong? I see it as being more convenient for video switching, and having the ability to combine a/v into a single plug...thats it! I can still run hdmi directly to my TV and optical to the processor for sound. What's wrong with that?

·
The Village Idiot
9,681 Posts
HDMI does enhance audio IF you can tell the difference between audio formats like 'plain old' DTS and DTS-HD. I don't bother with it since the differences are subtle at best. HDMI is convenient since you are using a single cable vs a crap-ton of RCA cables.

I had a Harman Kardon AVR 525 for a few years. That thing was a snake-pit of cables. Each video input used composite - a DVD player - CD player - sat box - what a mess! The DVD player had 6 channel inputs to the AVR. I still can't remember why I just didn't use the optical out. I still have a small box full of 3' RCA cables. A lifetime supply I think. A few HDMI cables put them all out to pasture.

Either way - its your choice - and there is no wrong answer.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why is everyone so hung up on hdmi? I dont believe it reflrects on SQ, am I wrong? I see it as being more convenient for video switching, and having the ability to combine a/v into a single plug...thats it! I can still run hdmi directly to my TV and optical to the processor for sound. What's wrong with that?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
even when I had hdmi in/out on my marantz, I still utilized optical for sound and hdmi straight to my tv, due to lack of 3d pass through. So really nothing should change in the cable department. Sound quality is what I am most concerned with. Will it be up to par or better than my marantz? Is there any noticeable difference between the 2 processors mentioned?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchiggins420  /t/1506688/krell-hts-5-1-vs-sunfire-grand-theater-processor#post_24099510

Sound quality is what I am most concerned with.

Then you should be working on speakers and room acoustics. That is where sound quality improvements are.
Quote:
Will it be up to par or better than my marantz? Is there any noticeable difference between the 2 processors mentioned?

Electronics have little if anything to do with the sound of your system. About the only thing that affects sound quality in that area is the room calibration software in the processor which is bound to be inferior in the older products but I'm speaking from a weak position because I haven't used either of them. All of updates and improvements to surround and video processing are now requiring HDMI. If you don't care about them then HDMI doesn't matter. It is a question of embracing the new technology or not. Nobody is trying to twist your arm.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1506688/krell-hts-5-1-vs-sunfire-grand-theater-processor#post_24099598

Then you should be working on speakers and room acoustics. That is where sound quality improvements are.

Electronics have little if anything to do with the sound of your system. About the only thing that affects sound quality in that area is the room calibration software in the processor which is bound to be inferior in the older products but I'm speaking from a weak position because I haven't used either of them. All of the updates and improvements to surround and video processing are now requiring HDMI. If you don't care about them then HDMI doesn't matter. It is a question of embracing the new technology or not. Nobody is trying to twist your arm.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have taken all of the advice into consideration, and have decided to extend the budget by $100 and go with the denon avr-x4000 with the latest audyssey 32xt and true sub ht, not to mention all of the hdmi connectivity you will ever need!

Thanks for the input!

Take care,

Ryan

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchiggins420  /t/1506688/krell-hts-5-1-vs-sunfire-grand-theater-processor#post_24112297

I have taken all of the advice into consideration, and have decided to extend the budget by $100 and go with the denon avr-x4000 with the latest audyssey 32xt and true sub ht, not to mention all of the hdmi connectivity you will ever need!

Thanks for the input!

Take care,

Ryan
i have a theater grand 3 in storage, and i would not part with it for what you can get them for these days. i will some day get an amp for it and build another system with it. it served me well and is a solid pre amp, with pinpoint imaging and tight bass. i have the 8801 with mm8077 and a mm9000 for 11 channels and i still miss that preamp.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1506688/krell-hts-5-1-vs-sunfire-grand-theater-processor#post_24099598

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1506688/krell-hts-5-1-vs-sunfire-grand-theater-processor#post_24099603

When I initially setup my room(12'x14'), being so small I had to consider room treatment right away. I installed bass traps(bags of R19) in the corners, floor-ceiling, behind my kef Q900 mains and then insulated 2 big windows behind my plasma tv and center speaker, I also put a bag in both rear upper corners of the room, along with carpet and thick pad over the hardwood. Needless to say, I am all out of room for anymore room treatment! As for speakers, I am content with the new Q line from KEF. I have had and heard a lot of speakers, my fav that I owned ML Quests..by far...But KEF has always pleased my ears, love the accurate imaging they achieve with that simple little placement of the tweeter, and they can be found for good prices. So I figure good sound, good price coupled with manageable size is a good speaker to settle on. All I am left with now is how to power them. I went ahead picked up the ancient krell processor. Going to try the seperate system for a bit and save for an AVR with the latest Audyssey EQ processing. I have narrowed it down to the Denon X4000 or if I can snag for the right price, go with the Marantz SR-7008. I understand that I may not hear a huge difference from my sr7002 to any of the newer AVR's. However and correct me if I am wrong, but getting more power via stand alone amplifier(s) to the speakers should improve sound...right? If no, than there is no point in keeping my 5 channel carver when I upgrade, unless I could use it to bi-amp along with the built in amps of the AVR. For example, use the carver for the lows and the AVR amps for the highs. Whats wrong with that?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have a HTS Krell since one week and before I tell you about my Krell and his quality unit I want to know what did you do ( choose) about Krell and the other ? witch one you got ?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts