AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for feedback from actual Krell owners for some advice. I have owned Krell gear and really like their sound, but have not had a chance to demo their newer S1200 or 707 Processors. Of course, I know the 707 is the best, but that is out of my price range. Mainly I would like to know from those that have heard both the 707 and S1200 based on the 707 about how close it is and how good overall to the 707 compared to the value.

Also, I know the HTS 7.1 and have owned it too. How good is the S1200 compared to the older HTS 7.1? Some have said the S-1000 was not worth it and liked the HTS 7.1 just as good or maybe better, but that was before it was basically gutted and had major updates for the S1200 models.

I am updating soon and would like to get some feedback from other Krell owners out there that have heard these models. Also, I have heard the newest Arcam 888 and Classe 800 models and found them pretty good too just so you know about where I am for comparison. My Krell is what I love most though.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
The S-1200 has many of the sonic "upgrades" of the 707, but lacks the CAST outputs if you prefer that connection. I own an EVO403 amplifier, so I would have liked to have that option, but not for another $20K.

The other difference is the automated room correction in the 707. Since I use my system for 2 channel music as well as home theater, I didn't place a huge emphasis on that feature.

The 1200 and 707 share a great deal of their software, as the 1200 is identified by my Mac-based music server as a 707.

I agree with your post that the S1000 was not a sonic improvement from the later HTS models. The 1200 is a big improvement IMO.

You can find more Krell discussion, as well as a few posts from Dan D'Agostino about his new gear, on here:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/forumdisplay.php?41-Krell

Lee

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lee,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Krell models. So basically, you think I will notice a big difference between the HTS 7.1 and S1200 to justify? I love my Krell amps, but just concerned about any upgrades since they are quite expensive now even for their "cheaper" models. The S1200U would be wasted for me because I do not need the video processing so that helps some.

How good do you think 2 channel is over the HTS 7.1? Are there any glitches you notice and can you tell me what the latest firmware version is?

I do love Krell but I swear they are starting to price them out of my range if things keep going up. The amps are a good investment because I have some for 10 years now still going just fine. But I have heard the Arcam 888 and Classe 800 with Krell amps and they are quite good matched with them and cheaper. Both of them beat my HTS 7.1 on 2 channel stereo too, but mainly because they are much newer. When I listen to any classical music, they really shine a lot. For rock music, they are as good or slightly better than the HTS 7.1 but I did find some low end to be shallow in comparison.

Thanks for sharing any other thoughts, hope to decide soon if the Krell S-1200 is worth it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Jeff,

The 1200 is sonically superior to the HTS 7.1 IMO. I felt it offered more transparency, which translated into less congestion to the sound, especially in larger works. You really don't need the "U" model unless you have a monitor and sources that don't have upscaling in them. Krell dealers do, however, offer somewhat larger discounts on the "U" model (probably because of less-than-exciting sales figures).

If you're planning on running high-resolution files via HDMI or coaxial into the 1200, PM me and I'll try to fill you in on the particulars.

Lee

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm not sure about the S-1200, but the jump from HTS 7.1 to 707 for me was humongous. They weren't even comparable. The 707 is wonderful but if I had to do it again I would consider getting a cheaper processor and an ARC Anniversary Preamplifier.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm probably late for this, but I own a Krell HTS 7.1 and I was given a S-1200 to consider for upgrade. The HTS 7.1 beat the crap out of the S-1200 any time of day when using analog (which is pretty much all I use). There really was no comparison.

I wish I could audition a 707...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts