AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see a lot of posts on the Showcase preamp but wanted to ask what people thought about the Showcase 5 channel amp. I only have the small 5.1 Sony ES speaker package right now but will eventually upgrade my speakers to probably Paradigm Reference 100s and such. Do you think this is powerful enough for reasonable volumes on movies? I will eventually use this amp for the center and surrounds and buy the Krell 2250 for the front speakers to make a 7.1 system. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
137 Posts
Krell Showcase, initially, was custom built for Ultimate Elec to sell.

Krell is AUDIOPHILE quality, plan on buying $5000 in speakers or you're wasting your money on Krell.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I plan on doing but can only afford to upgrade one part at a time and thought the amp would be a good place to start since the technology doesn't change as fast. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
137 Posts
I didn't answer your question as to power. Separates are usually "stronger" than receivers (relatively). When you get into the upper end amps they are all high current and 120 watts of Krell will rock the house with quality speakers. Their audiophile retail shop units start at 150w/ch.

You can't miss with Krell.

·
Registered
137 Posts
WHAT? Panasonic over Krell? What world are you living in?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I think I'll be really happy with the Krell and a new DVD player. I just got my TV calibrated so I'm all set to go. I found a dealer demo for $1000 off with full warranty so I think I'll go ahead and get it.

Dave

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ZICK
WHAT? Panasonic over Krell? What world are you living in?
He was probably referring to the thread "$300 krell killer from panasonic" where this matter is discussed. But I agree, atleast in this world, panny and krell are usually not uttered in the same sentence.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ZICK
Krell Showcase, initially, was custom built for Ultimate Elec to sell.

Krell is AUDIOPHILE quality, plan on buying $5000 in speakers or you're wasting your money on Krell.
I have owned 2 Krell amps in the KAV line in the 250a/3 and now the 3250 and my INfinity Kappa 7 speakers were 2000 when i bought them 5 years ago and I get killer sound over the Krell amp. I am not saying that the more you go up, the more they will return, but you still get huge benefit from using a Krell amp, and the Showcase is a lessor design then what I have, and I tried it before I bought the 3250 and the better amp made a huge difference. Hell my speaker cables cost 60 percent of my speakers, but you have to remember that some occasional speakers perform at levels of much higher costing speakers which was clearly the case with the Infinity Kappa line for years.

I love my Krell and I am planning on getting 1 of 2 pairs of new speakers and they are both 3500 range, so I hope you are not right or I am going to be very upset.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry. I was speaking of a 5 ch system, not just a pair.

I still enjoy my 20 yr old Infinity SM-150's at my lake house,

I would love to hear my $2k Monitor Audio 9's with that Krell pushing them!!!

nicholtl- MacIntosh can be in that sentence though.

dsm363- with Krell you have a good start on a great system.

Krell may be my next step after my acoustics are improved. I visited a man that had a really nice H/T room and the sound was incredible. The system cost him about $4500. Then I heard his stereo, Krell separates with quality ??? speakers, in his wood panel den. The H/T sounded better due to superior room acoustics. He removed the Krell from the H/T because the kids were always watching movies. What a shame. I'ld remove the kids first.

Krell envy here!!! I've got to read the Panny/Krell thread, need a laugh tonight.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Don't waste your money on the Krell amplifier, unless you are getting it at a really good price. There are too many amplifiers to count that will sound identical to the Krell at a significantly lower price (ATI, Sherbourn, Rotel, Parasound, Aragon, B&K... take your pick, there are dozens upon dozens).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus
There are too many amplifiers to count that will sound identical to the Krell at a significantly lower price (ATI, Sherbourn, Rotel, Parasound, Aragon, B&K... take your pick, there are dozens upon dozens).
Pull that wax outta your ear. They do not sound the same.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, wise decision or not, I did go ahead and pick up the Krell Showcase amp. It kind of dwarfs everything else in my system in terms of its quality right now but that'll change eventually. It does sound really nice though. I got the demo model with full factory warranty for about $1000 off retail. Not exactly a steal but a good bargain. I think I'll upgrade my DVD player and then my speakers to Paradigms.

Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.