AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in getting the new Krell Showcase DVD player and wanted to know if anyone out there has any experience with it yet?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely out. I am going to demo it tomorrow in the show room of the Home Theater company I work with. They've had it for a couple weeks now. The picture is supposedely incredible with just component level connections. I'll let you know after I've seen it. I've read there will be a HDMI upgrade module available in the April '04 timeframe.

·
Registered
636 Posts
ML55AMG, (nice car :) )

Let's hope Kris can get a player for the shootout. I would like to see how it compares to the DVD Standard.

Are you sure that the HDMI option will be only available in April ? Do you happen to know if it will be HDCP compliant?

If you can, please ask them about scaling to 720p on the component and future HDMI outputs.

Please let us know how it went.

Thanks.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I read a review of this model in The Perfect Vision. It was in one of the last two issues of 2003. They raved out it, saying that the picture was as close as they had seen to their Taranex (sp?) scaler, which cost something like $40,000.

I'd have to see it to believe it of course; especially with the opinions I have seen from TPV on other DVD players.

Brian.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Doh. I saw the post one above mine *after* I posted and thought I might have read about the Standard and not the Showcase.

Sorry for the misinformation. TPV *did* rave about the Standard though.

Brian.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The HDMI outputs are supposed to upconvert to 720p and 1080i. I've not seen any written documentation yet, but my HT guys are pretty close with Krell. An no, I'm not sure on the availability date of April. I thought I read it somewhere but can't remember where ;)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Bebop86,

Are you sure the DVD Standard is hdmi upgradeable? I had one for a couple of months and at the time there was no provision for hdmi or DVI upgrade.

The showcase has a more advanced chipset (FLI2300?) that allows for the player to scale the video output to different resolutions (480p, 720p, 1080i) through hdmi.

The DVD Standard uses the FLI2200 (line doubler) and FLI 2220 (image enhancer). Video output is only 480i/p. No scaler inside.

Audio wise they are identical (no SACD or DVD Audio). Both have balanced and single ended audio outputs.

Maybe the DVD Standard has a more robust output stage.

The DVD Standard has a much higher price.

·
Premium Member
11,889 Posts
The DVD Standard is not upgradable. The Showcase is. I am not sure what chipset they will be using and they have declined to provide one for the shootout, but I may find a way to get it in anyways ;)

Krell mentioned that they are working on a universal player that they will try to provide for the shootout at a later date though.

·
Registered
332 Posts
HEY KRIS-I spoke to krell yesterday and they said there will be a retrofit for the standard in the fall of this year- I was thinking of either a new showcase or a used standard to run thru my Dwin TV-3 - any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,889 Posts
That's cool. I haven't tested a Showcase player yet so couldn't answer that question. The Standard has the 3-2 chroma error like the Denon 2900/2200. It also has come Y/C error, but that might be remedied with the DVI out.

The Showcase will be part of the upcoming shootout though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.