AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Menards by me has 1/8"-4x8 sheets of plexiglass for $85 and I was thinking of spraying the Krylon mirror paint on the back for the Silver fire mix.This could be a very low cost mirror solution.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx /forum/post/17011472

there are a couple plastics distributors near algonquin who sell 4'x8' mirrors for approx $100.

Awwwww......'Cmon. Give 'em the Names/links...........

Laminating Aluminum Mylar onto the back of Clear Plexi would by far be more effective than any painted solution.

A truly good Aluminum paint, on that dries to a mirrored sheen would be great to use...if such could be found. However the AL. Mylar is 98% reflective, on a par with or exceeding a First Surface Mirror...which BTW, it essential is, being tat a FSM is Aluminum coating on "Top" of Plexi or Glass, and then coated with a protective shield.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info.The only place I found that had the acyrilic mirror was Lowes online and they wanted $240.I do not want to start a big debate but is it even worth it for me to use the mirror solution?I like to use my 6100 on high brightness mode, 13' throw and I sit 14' away from projector,the screen will be 48"x84" when finished.Also which silver fire should I use?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman50 /forum/post/0

...I like to use my 6100 on high brightness mode, 13' throw and I sit 14' away from projector,the screen will be 48"x84" when finished.Also which silver fire should I use?

with silver fire and a mirror... there's no need to have your 6100 on high.

save your bulb... that alone is worth the cost.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman50 /forum/post/17013555

Thanks for the info.The only place I found that had the acyrilic mirror was Lowes online and they wanted $240.I do not want to start a big debate but is it even worth it for me to use the mirror solution?

I almost every instance the answer would be "Yes". Benefits include increased perceived 'depth', as well as the ability to employ a darker shade of SF to accommodate better looking Blacks and shadow detail without any noticeable crushing of whites and colors. The SF paint already tends to allow for such...but the additional use of a Mirror augments those desirable traits.

Quote:
I like to use my 6100 on high brightness mode, 13' throw and I sit 14' away from projector,the screen will be 48"x84" when finished. Also which silver fire should I use?

At that throw and screen size, (should be 85" x 48" ) with a 1.2 gain SF-LF screen, you'd get 28 fl of brightness. That's a LOT! On Low lamp.....19-20 fl. That's still above average. The standard is 16 fl for a brilliant image in a controlled lighting HT situation.

For the 6100, I'd use 2.0 colorant for ambient light circumstances, and 1.0 - 1.5 for Controlled lighting. Using Low Lamp if possible isn't just for saving Bulb life....the 6100 MUST use Low lamp to achieve it's best contrast specifications.

If you decide to use "High" all the time...you should ONLY consider a 2.0 mix. Even with total light control.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Slightly OT, but I've read that bulb life in the 6100 is rated the same for both High and Low, it seems fairly illogical that the bulb won't last longer w/ less wattage though... Also, thanks for bringing up the CR comment, I don't really need the higher setting, but I've been using it anyway because I figured 'why not' if the bulb lasts the same... Guess i'll switch back

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE:

For the 6100, I'd use 2.0 colorant for ambient light circumstances, and 1.0 - 1.5 for Controlled lighting. Using Low Lamp if possible isn't just for saving Bulb life....the 6100 MUST use Low lamp to achieve it's best contrast specifications.

If you decide to use "High" all the time...you should ONLY consider a 2.0 mix. Even with total light control.

So is the 2.0 the 3oz?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman50 /forum/post/17021692

QUOTE:

So is the 2.0 the 3oz?

No. The denotation 2.0 refers to the use of 2 ounces Colorant in the prescribed and combined Reflective/Viscosity mixes. That also applies to all the other numerical denotations (1.0 - 1.5 - 2.5 - 3.0 - 4.0 )

The 0.75 oz version combines with an altered Reflective mix to achieve higher gain, and so being does not acquire such a "numeral" designation.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
i just spoke with E&T plastics distributor (in chicagoland)... and they stock aluminum laminated rigid expanded pvc...

on one side a baked white and on the other side a mirror finish silver.

8' x 4' for just $72.50.

the entire 4'x8' sheet weighs less than 15 lbs.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts
Oh my goodness.............

First Surface Light Fusion rises once again!

But once again, a Link or Contact number? How about a Mfg Brand name to cross reference to at other Supply Houses elsewhere?

BTW, such a development bodes extremely well for Higher Contrast, High Lumen PJs! With the use of a translucent White or very light translucent Gray paint, any ....repeat any noticeable degree of White crush should be non-existent, while the underlying "Silvered Aluminum" finish intensifies both Colors and Contrast.

..............shucks. Perhaps I'm too hasty. I contacted E&T and without more definitive info such as a Mfg or Stock No#, they were clueless as to WTH I was referring to.

Please wait for precise information on this development before attempting any contact.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb_maxxx /forum/post/17025597

i just spoke with E&T plastics distributor (in chicagoland)... and they stock aluminum laminated rigid expanded pvc...

on one side a baked white and on the other side a mirror finish silver.

8' x 4' for just $72.50.

the entire 4'x8' sheet weighs less than 15 lbs.

Will this work well with the 6100?I called the place in Addison and they have a 97x49x1/8" mirror acrylic for $106 with tax.I am thinking of going with glass so i can undo, if anything gets screwed up.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman50 /forum/post/17026970

Will this work well with the 6100?I called the place in Addison and they have a 97x49x1/8" mirror acyrilic for $106 with tax.I am thinking of going with glass so i can undo, if anything gets screwed up.

PB is right on the money.

All the paint is water-based, and if you mess up something....as long as the paint has not cured for several weeks, a light sponging with water...and a short wait as the water soaks into the paint, and the paint will easily squeegee right off. For longer cures, you just keep applying "COLD" water ad wiping until clear.

But all this is totally unnecessary because your not going to screw up.

Right?

BTW, colorant is on the way via PB.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
my apologies. i mispoke when i said mirror finish.

rather it is a smooth metal finish... (.ie a non-brushed metal). however, they do also carry them with a brushed metal finish as well.

here's your link to the company... (the same company that makes komatex)...which is a competitor of sintra... or 'rigid expanded pvc foam'

http://www.kommerlingusa.com/KomAlu/...g&main=0&sub=4

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
E&T plastics is the one who quoted me the $106 for the 49x97 acrylic mirror.I think I will go with that unless I can find it cheaper.Now that I know I can redo the paint job if something goes wrong using the acrylic, I am more at ease.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.