AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, they haven't yet gotten the widescreen signal delivered at the transmitter, but they've taken a step in the right direction.

KTBC-DT is much more watchable now -- they've added some vertical stretch (cutting off part of the top/bottom of the video frame) to the horizontal stretch -- figures look a lot more natural.

The picture isn't quite as good as KXAN-DT's zoomed upconvert, but it is much better than it was.

Later

Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
As the old saying goes,

If there is no one to actually see the digital signal, has it really ever existed? :D

Dr. Joe, I think you are the only KTBC-DT viewer in the whole city! It's pretty sad when I can get KWTX in Waco - 75 miles away, but cannot get a station 15 miles away.

Oh well. As long as they up their signal strength by the time football season starts :)

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is very curious to me that I get KTBC-DT and no-one else seems to get it (my wife thinks I'm joking when I tell her we are the only ones in Austin to get it).

I'm afraid it gets worse:

They still don't have FOX 480p Widescreen at the transmitter -- hopefully they WILL by football season, but don't hold your breath on a power increase:

As far as the recent KTBC update went, it doesn't look like they will increase the power -- when the "2006 or 85%" kicks in, and they pull the plug on analog signals, KTBC loses channel 56, probably moving to 7. So they "waste" the money spent on a higher power transmitter.

I think this is extremely shortsighted by the FCC.

Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree. Why the FCC would allocate frequency to TV that was slated for other use - even for short term is rediculous. Oh well.

Of course, the reason I cannot pick up KTBC may be that I have my UHF antenna pointing at Waco. With KXAN so strong, I have no problem picking it up from the "backside" of the antenna. This allows me to get CBS and NBC at the same time. Of course once KEYE goes digital, I will be able to swing the antenna back to Austin and maybe then I will pick up KTBC.

By the way, I alway thought that the FCC was permanently taking away the VHF frequencies for TV in general and that DTV would be UHF only?

Later

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.