Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm seeking advice from other readers who have found themselves in a similar situation. I currently have a KTI dish for D* with two dual LNBs - Sat A and Sat B. This dish has the built in 5x4 switch in the arm; the LNBs plug *directly* into the multiswitch. I'm currently feeding two dtivos with two lines each for dual tuner capability.

I have recently purchased (haven't received it yet) a Hughes E86 HDTV receiver. I'm planning on adding the third LNB for the Sat C (110) orbital slot. The current integrated switch will allow this on the input side, but I don't have enough ports on the output side unless I lose one tuner on one of my dtivos. The obvious solution is to remove the 5x4 switch and replace it with a 5x8, but I have found conflicting information if this can be done with this dish (as the switch is truly part of the arm.) I have also found some information that suggests the integrated switch can be cascaded, but again, I've found conflicting information. I'd love to find some solution that didn't require yet another run of coax into the apartment, but stacking in between two multi switches seems to be the only possible solution for that, and I don't know if that would even work.

In Summary my Q's-

1. Anyone have the KTI dish and successfully removed the intergrated 5x4?

2. Anyone have the KTI dish and successfully used it in a cascaded configuration?

3. Any other ideas? Stacking between multi-switches to eliminate fifth run of coax?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sorry, but you cannot cascade this switch. :mad: You will have to purchase a Channelmaster 6140 Dish with the 4x4 swithc. Then you will need a 5x8 from JVI or Spawn. You will need another run of RG-6 for your E-86.

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,883 Posts
I have the KTI dish with the integrated 5x4 multiswitch and am cascading it into a Spaun 5x12 multiswitch without any problems. In order to cascade the integrated multiswitch, the other multiswitch has to be capable of passing the 22khz carrier along, which many multiswitches aren't capable of doing. For more info on using the Spaun 5x multiswitches in this scenario, see the Spaun Tech Info page.

If you decide to go with a Spaun multiswitch, I received excellent service from Future Home Systems . I initially bought the 5x8, but ran out of outputs. They exchanged it for the 5x12 model with absolutely no hassle.

If you would prefer to get rid of the integrated multiswitch, you can get a replacement LNB Y mount from 18inch.com - click on LNBs and scroll to the bottom of the page. According to their web site, they are currently sold out. If you'd like to go this route, I have one of these that I ordered and ended up not using after I found out that my Spaun could handle the integrated switch - email me offline and we can work out pricing and shipping.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses. Geoffrey, I ordered a Eagle Aspen 5x8 22KHz switch from 18inch.com yesterday. I was told by someone on another forum that they had used this switch cascaded to the Eagle Aspen 5x4 built into the arm. I had yet someone else tell me that the 5x4 could be removed from the arm by using some small pieces of coax to bridge the connections thru where the switch was. I haven't gone outside yet to take it all apart and look, but hopefully one of the responses will be correct and the 5x8 I purchased will work. If my memory served the LNBs literally plug into the 5x4, so cascading or buying a new Y appears to be correct.

I also picked up an Eagle Aspen diplexor. I've got a U/V antenna for OTA HDTV that I'm going to wire into the 5x8 and pull out on the new run going to the E86. At least this way I'm limiting myself to just one new run of coax for the E86 for DBS HDTV and OTA.

When it's all said and done, I've got five runs of coax coming into the apartment for DBS, and three runs for Amateur radio use. I can safely assume my security deposit is gone, gone, gone..

Thanks again,

Andrew

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,883 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by andrewket
Thanks for the responses. Geoffrey, I ordered a Eagle Aspen 5x8 22KHz switch from 18inch.com yesterday. I was told by someone on another forum that they had used this switch cascaded to the Eagle Aspen 5x4 built into the arm. I had yet someone else tell me that the 5x4 could be removed from the arm by using some small pieces of coax to bridge the connections thru where the switch was. I haven't gone outside yet to take it all apart and look, but hopefully one of the responses will be correct and the 5x8 I purchased will work.
As long as the Eagle Aspen 5x8 passes the 22khz signal along to the integrated multiswitch, there's no reason it shouldn't work. If not, you can either return the Eagle Aspen and go with the Spaun or another multiswitch, or you can keep the Eagle Aspen 5x8 and remove the integrated multiswitch, so you certainly have options.

Quote:
If my memory served the LNBs literally plug into the 5x4, so cascading or buying a new Y appears to be correct.
Yes, the LNB's literally plug into the 5x4. Removing the integrated 5x4 and using the original Y could work, but I certainly wouldn't count on it.

Good luck, and let us know how the Eagle Aspen works out. It could be useful to know which switches work and which don't.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I rolled the dice and lost. The eagle aspen 5x8 cascaded to the integrated multiswitch didn't work. All the receivers could only see the 101 bird. So now I'm stuck between returning the Eagle Aspen 5x8 and getting a Spaun 5x8, or finding a new Y arm.

I'll let you guys now what I end up doing...

-Andrew

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As it turns out, the integrated Eagle Aspen 5x4 switch on the KTI dish can be *easily* removed. I'm not sure why everyone thought it was impossible. Two screws and it popped right out. I ran cable directly to the LNBs and put in a Y splitter for Sat C. I now have the 5x8 up and running.

Has anyone tried preamps? I've got 4 preamps wired (three directly to the LNBs and the fourth right after the Y splitter for Sat C.) My signal strength across all birds has gone down quite a bit. I'm not sure yet if this is being caused by the new 5x8 or the preamps. I will do some more testing tomorrow, but has anyone had experience with this? It is possible that I just need to re aim the dish. It may have been slightly moved while I was doing all the LNB work.

Anyway, here is a picture of the Eagle Aspen 5x4 outside of the arm.

-Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.