Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm seeking advice from other readers who have found themselves in a similar situation. I currently have a KTI dish for D* with two dual LNBs - Sat A and Sat B. This dish has the built in 5x4 switch in the arm; the LNBs plug *directly* into the multiswitch. I'm currently feeding two dtivos with two lines each for dual tuner capability.

I have recently purchased (haven't received it yet) a Hughes E86 HDTV receiver. I'm planning on adding the third LNB for the Sat C (110) orbital slot. The current integrated switch will allow this on the input side, but I don't have enough ports on the output side unless I lose one tuner on one of my dtivos. The obvious solution is to remove the 5x4 switch and replace it with a 5x8, but I have found conflicting information if this can be done with this dish (as the switch is truly part of the arm.) I have also found some information that suggests the integrated switch can be cascaded, but again, I've found conflicting information. I'd prefer to cascade because one of the DTivos is in the same location as the HDTV receiver and cascading switches would allow me to service all three receivers (Dual DTivo + 1 HDTV) using the already existing two runs of coax. The 5x4 multiswitch on the arm of the dish and then another switch inside. I'm in an apartment and running a third run of coax to this location for a total of five into the apartment would be a "bad" thing.

In Summary my Q's-

1. Anyone have the KTI dish and successfully removed the intergrated 5x4?

2. Anyone have the KTI dish and successfully used it in a cascaded configuration?

3. Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Edit..... I just realized that even if I can cascade, I still end up running more coax to the HDTV receiver location. In fact, if I cascade and try to put a switch inside, I'll have to run two more lines and not just one for the new receiver. The best solution looks like a 5x8 switch outside and one new run of coax to the HDTV receiver. The question remains if I can just add a 5x8 switch cascaded to the 5x4 outside, or if I can remove the 5x4 all together.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Andrew,

I have a similar situation and I did the installation Friday.

I have a dtivo (2 tuners) a HD tuner plus 2 additional tuners elsewhere in the house, a total of 5 tuners.

Here's what I did. I removed the plastic cover over the built in multiswitch and ran the 5 cables directly from the lnbs into the house. (Note, at first glance it looked like the built in multiswitch was needed to support the lnbs, but on further inspection I noticed that there is a screw that goes through the cover and each lnb giving you a stable intall).

Inside the house I connected the 119 18V feed with the sat C (101) feed using the supplied connector. (See your Sat c kit or search for directions).

Then I took those four cables and connected it to a 5x8 multiswitch.

Everything works great, and I'm watching HD along with everything else.

Good luck on your install, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wxwx,

Ideally I would route all the sat connections into the house and then distribute from there. Unfortunately, I'm in an apartment setting which limits me. The dish is mounted on the deck, mid-way between the bedroom and the family room. Two runs of coax run one way, and two run the other. The only central location is the dish itself, which means I need to find a 5x8 that is designed for outdoor use. I haven't been able to find one yet. I'm already "in trouble" with the number of holes I have in the wall going outside.

-A

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.