AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone in SE minnesota picking up KTTC-DT. The signal had been very weak for the last month or so but know I don't even register a blip. Anyone else still getting the station in the Rochester MN area?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I noticed on Saturday that it was gone. I'll send in a query to KTTC and see if my contacts there can tell me what's going on.

KXLT-DT (non-HD) is still up and appears to be stronger than it had been.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The station engineer says they're having problems with the transmitter. He also claimed it was up and running and I still didn't have a signal, so something is definitely up. I don't watch KTTC much but I'll keep an eye on things and see if it improves.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sregener
The station engineer says they're having problems with the transmitter. He also claimed it was up and running and I still didn't have a signal, so something is definitely up. I don't watch KTTC much but I'll keep an eye on things and see if it improves.
The station engineer reports that they've found and corrected the problem. My reception is back on and rock solid.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the update, I haven't had a chance to reply until now but it was great that it was working for Tuesday comedies (especially Frasier) and Wednesday dramas (watch my first episode of West Wing tonight because it was in HDTV).

I am curious how you corresponded with the engineer. Do you call or send EMAIL?

Although I can pick it up the signal strength is in the upper 30's lower 40's. Up until summer time (end of May sweeps run) it used to come in a solid high 60's to lower 70's for me. I wonder if they lowered their power output at some time to save money. Since it was summer with reruns and little time to watch primetime TV it didn't bother me and I kinda gave up watching it but now that the new season is started and a lot more of NBC's programming is HDTV it would be nice if the signal were stronger to get a more reliable signal (to minimize the dropouts).

Granted I am just using an indoor antenna but since it used to be much stronger I was wondering if you knew if they changed their power output.

As far as the Fox Station KXLT I have never been able to pull that one in reliably but I didn't really care since it looks like they just feed their standard signal into the digital channel so it looks not much better than cable. They don't even pass through fox wide screen so next fall when fox finally is ready for HDTV I am sure this station won't have the capability to pass it through (a pity Hi Def football would be awesome).

Again, thanks for contacting the station to get this problem fixed, if I knew who to contact I am sure I would let them know when they have problems (like flipping to HDTV) if nothing else to let them know that most of the programming I watch on NBC is only because its HDTV, if is standard I change the channel.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AtogMuncher
I am curious how you corresponded with the engineer. Do you call or send EMAIL?

Although I can pick it up the signal strength is in the upper 30's lower 40's. Up until summer time (end of May sweeps run) it used to come in a solid high 60's to lower 70's for me. I wonder if they lowered their power output at some time to save money.

...As far as the Fox Station KXLT I have never been able to pull that one in reliably but I didn't really care since it looks like they just feed their standard signal into the digital channel so it looks not much better than cable. They don't even pass through fox wide screen so next fall when fox finally is ready for HDTV I am sure this station won't have the capability to pass it through (a pity Hi Def football would be awesome).
I've been writing emails to the engineering department since shortly before KXLT went live.

Your signal strength problem may be because of diciduous trees blocking the signal. Leaves absorb UHF frequencies and if there are some trees in your line to the tower, they would cut out the signal. You shouldn't have to wait too much longer for the leaves to fall and verify it.

KXLT has an analog-to-digital converter at the tower that takes the NTSC feed and transforms it to ASTC 480i. Unfortunately, they don't have any plans the last I heard to upgrade for true HD, even with Fox's announcement. Of course, that could change. KXLT is running relatively lower-powered and my rooftop antenna needs to be aimed quite precisely to get an artifact-free lock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.