AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This insert appears on the DVDtown website. It was packed with certain Matrix Trilogy Box sets. I cannot wait for these films but where is Barry Lyndon and Dr. Strangelove? I drool over the prospect of watching 2001 and A Clockwork Orange in high def!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Are they re-releasing FMJ?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSCH /forum/post/0

I haven't heard whether this is the same lame transfer or if it has been re-tooled.

Here's hoping for the latter

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I hope we'll at least get 1.66:1, 1.77:1, or 1.85:1 transfers of the films that were previously only 1.33:1 on SD. What was the AR of the original Full Metal Jacket release?

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joekun /forum/post/0

I hope we'll at least get 1.66:1, 1.77:1, or 1.85:1 transfers of the films that were previously only 1.33:1 on SD. What was the AR of the original Full Metal Jacket release?

Kubrick's SD box set did contain original aspect ratios - as opposed to purchasing each film individually. Hopefully we'll see original aspects in this box set!

·
Registered
781 Posts

Quote:

This insert appears on the DVDtown website. It was packed with certain Matrix Trilogy Box sets. I cannot wait for these films but where is Barry Lyndon and Dr. Strangelove? I drool over the prospect of watching 2001 and A Clockwork Orange in high def!

Where is "Paths of Glory"?

·
Registered
16,330 Posts
Here's hoping Eyes Wide Shut is the original uncut version as Kubrick wanted. I would assume that the films shot for standard Academy widescreen (1.85:1) like The Shining, FMJ, A Clockwork Orange, etc. will finally be at least 1.78:1 (I've never known WB to do true 1.85:1 transfers).

These better be brand new HD transfers (even FMJ) with lossless audio (on Blu-ray too)! Kubrick was a singular visionary and his movies should be treated with the greatest respect.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah Dan, I am in total agreement. He is one of my favorite directors, right up there with David Lean and Alfred Hitchcock. I also consider "Eyes Wide Shut" a fantastic film. It has grown on me considerably over the years as is the case with the late Mr. Kubrick's other masterpieces.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest /forum/post/0

I don't think that was ever part of the previous Kubrick Collections that Warner released. I believe the previous inclusion of Dr. Strangelove was by agrreement with Columbia/Tristar which is now part of Sony Pictures. Paths of Glory is an MGM title which is now controlled by Fox if I am not mistaken. Lolita and Barry Lyndon are odd omissions. Anybody know the reason?

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
The OAR of "The Shining" was 1:85-1 in the theaters. That's how I first saw it, loved it and would like to see it again...

That storyboard from The Kubrick book confirms the intended AR as well....

·
Registered
13,827 Posts

Quote:

I don't think that was ever part of the previous Kubrick Collections that Warner released. I believe the previous inclusion of Dr. Strangelove was by agrreement with Columbia/Tristar which is now part of Sony Pictures. Paths of Glory is an MGM title which is now controlled by Fox if I am not mistaken. Lolita and Barry Lyndon are odd omissions. Anybody know the reason?

That's my understanding as well.

Not sure what the reason is for Lolita or Barry Lyndon.

I have seen both A Clockwork Orange and 2001: A Space Odyssey in HD on cable. 2001 looks quite good, Clockwork less so, but still pretty good. It will be great to have these in HD, since I consider these two films to be a couple of the best ever made.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest /forum/post/0

Warner doesn't own all of his films.

Killer's Kiss, The Killing, and Paths of Glory are United Artist pictures with MGM.

Spartacus is with Universal.

Dr. Strangelove is with Sony.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Strangelove is a must-own for me. I can revisit that movie at least once a year and enjoy it as much as my first viewing. I'll probably pay less for the HD version than I did the special edition DVD in early 2001.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Wasn't this addressed in a chat w/WHV posted over at Digital Bits? Malcolm McDowell has, I believe, stated that he recorded a commentary track for Clockwork semi-recently, and I can't imagine that they'd bother with a SD-only release of another Kubrick collection.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
This should be a killer set if they are all mastered well. Now for the hard part: waiting, and waiting for the reviews to see if they are worth all their high def glory.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.