AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all people, come on! I have a feeling that UTVInsider isn't the person who's responsible for so many UTV's (including mine) deleting all of the saved shows and settings! So lay off! Be glad he has taken the time to answer questions and provide feedback. For those of you whiners who have been bashing him on this board, ask yourslf if you would rather not have his input. Even if you feel he hasn't answered all of your questions, I'm sure you'll agree that some info is better than none! Nobody likes being bashed and, unless he has no feelings, he probably won't stick around for the abuse! I for one appreciate his input. Sure there are other companies I like more than Microsoft. But there are plenty of others way below them on my list.

OK. So, if you're still reading this, here's what they told me tonight when I called 1-800-ULTIMATE. They now say the bug WAS caused by the update that was done last week. They claim the bug would only affect a unit if the user had done any of the new features. (I had done a "Save Until" which caused my crash.) They took my info, and asked me one question (Do you turn off the unit every night? I told them yes.) They then gave me a case number and told me if I don't hear back in a week to call again. The person then said he can't say what compensation will be offered but he did imply that my DirecTV bill would be taken care of. I'm assuming that means they'll pay for 1 month's worth of service. They also said the bug "as far as we can tell" has been eliminated and a new download will occur very soon.

I also asked if they'd be enabling the USB ports and what the plan was. He said he couldn't comment then made some strange comment like, "We have to figure out how to run 3 connections at a time. Then we'll probably offer DSL connectivity." I asked him what he meant by that but he couldn't elaborate. (USB can support over 125 devices (in theory) at a time so I don't understand what the reference to 3 devices means.) And he couldn't speculate when the ports would be enabled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pure speculation on my part but I'd think the '3 devices' isn't USB related as much as the sys requirments for handling 2 tuners (recording) AND a broadband port.

Just a guess tho

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Please provide a link to the massive UTVInsider bashing that you are complaining about...

------------------

BrettStah
You know one thing that will really make a woman mad? Just run up and kick her in the butt. (P.S. This also works with men.)s>

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Also, it's a good idea not to automatically trust anything a CSR tells you. Some people who have been beta testing the new software have reported no deletions of their recordings, while other beta testers have been hit by the bug.

------------------

BrettStah
You know one thing that will really make a woman mad? Just run up and kick her in the butt. (P.S. This also works with men.)s>

·
Registered
115 Posts
It was hard to believe that the update wasn't responsible for the deleted shows problem in view of the timing. I used the "Save Until" feature right after the update and I turn my unit off at night, but I didn't experience the problem. I did notice that the unit had turned itself on one morning.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Thanks for encouraging words. It is important to get good info out there so we'll keep it coming.

Speaking of good info... It seems the CSR you talked with was misinformed (or uninformed). We're working hard with customer care to make sure they do have the facts but it sometimes gets mixed in with individual speculation or simple confusion.

The problem some folks saw last Thursday was not associated with the client software upgrades. As most of you know, the upgrade was running fine for several days prior to that. There also was no simple connection between using updated features and a loss of recorded programs. (As some posters here have shown.) The source of the problem has been eliminated (bad data can no longer get to the receivers) but there are no plans for any kind of 'new download'. (That's just plain made up.)

The conclusions about what the CSR 'implied' are not quite correct either. As has been said before, we urge anyone who was inconvenienced by last week's problem to contact customer care at 1-877-ULTIMATE.

The USB ports are there for future expandability. Today you can use them for a USB keyboard. There are no plans for 'DSL connectivity' whatever that may mean. It was important to include the USB ports on the receivers so that the plumbing would be in place for all the great things that could be enabled via a future software upgrade. That way the receivers will have a long and useful life.

UTVinsider

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Most PCs have USB ports than can have USB network adaptors attached. This puts the PC/device on the network with other PCs in the home. Once this is done, there is some chance to use that network connection to share a high speed Internet connection.

The hope is that UTV could do the same. A USB network connector would tie in other computers and allow the use of a high speed web connection without the use of slow dial up modems. For those of us who have cable modems, DSL web service, or a T1 type connection, this makes a huge differece in the way WebTV could be used. Things that take a few minutes on 56K modem dial up take only seconds on a high speed link.

Early discussions with CSR folks confirmed that this was an eventual plan for the USB ports. Hopefully this is still true.

Ed

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ed Dixon:
Early discussions with CSR folks confirmed that this was an eventual plan for the USB ports. Hopefully this is still true.

Ed
I think UTVInsider just smashed the theory of believing what the CSRs tell you, did he not? Seems the USB port used as a high-speed Ethernet adaptor may not occur? UTVInsider, can you say whether it will or will not be used to give us Ethernet access???

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:
I think UTVInsider just smashed the theory of believing what the CSRs tell you, did he not? Seems the USB port used as a high-speed Ethernet adaptor may not occur? UTVInsider, can you say whether it will or will not be used to give us Ethernet access???

Thanks,

Paul
Gee...if there was one feature I heard UTV was going to have in the future...it was the DSL connectivity. That surprises me that it isnt even planned as UTVInsider has said.

Shambles

·
Registered
71 Posts

UltimateTV has been demoed at trade shows with Ethernet connectivity via the USB port. But it is not a scheduled or announced upgrade at this time. There are some big steps between demonstrating a technology and deploying and supporting it in huge numbers. (We refer to this as "Ethernet Support" because some people use the term "DSL Connectivity" to imply DSL modem capability, or two-way satellite broadband.)

I think everyone agrees that being able to connect to a high speed connection via my home network would be a very cool feature, and it is definitely on the (long) list. We are doing a lot of research with current and prospective users (including listening to the forums) to understand how best to prioritize the new features for UltimateTV. Right now, unfortunately, there are a bunch of things in line ahead of Ethernet support. There are some very cool features in the works, however, that will be useful for everybody. (Not just broadband subscribers.)

UTVinsider

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UTVinsider:

There are some very cool features in the works, however, that will be useful for everybody.

UTVinsider
Does this includes games, nudge, nudge http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif ......

------------------

Directv Subscriber (oval dish+ sat c kit)

RCA UTV, Hughes 2 E25 and 1 Hughes E11

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Definition of vaporware:

Quote:

UltimateTV has been demoed at trade shows with Ethernet connectivity via the USB port. But it is not a scheduled or announced upgrade at this time.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------

BrettStah

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
UTVInsider, thanks for the candid update, now I don't have that on my list of near term things UTV might have. Too bad, I guess I'm in that minority of broadband people that you mentioned http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif Hopefully the new features will overshawdow the ethernet connectivity, we are anxious to hear what they are going to be (and when http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

------------------

Paul

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Quote:

Right now, unfortunately, there are a bunch of things in line ahead of Ethernet support.
Which is a shame, really. Ever since the last beta SW, I can no longer connect via modem without the box rebooting on me. Perhaps with the broadband connectivity I could actually use the WebTV half of the UTV (which quite frankly is too slow to be useful via modem in the first place).

·
Registered
719 Posts
Speaking of extra unused hardware, what about those other video and audio INPUTS, it would be nice if I could connect the output of a vcr or whatever and play thru the utv. There could be a channel 1021 for viewing what's comming in on these inputs.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I believe I set a show to Keep Until right after the update, yet I like many others experienced no problems. I think that the CSR was perhaps just trying to tell you SOMETHING in order to pacify you.

OAW

·
Registered
657 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
Speaking of extra unused hardware, what about those other video and audio INPUTS, it would be nice if I could connect the output of a vcr or whatever and play thru the utv. There could be a channel 1021 for viewing what's comming in on these inputs.
This hardware doesn't have the capability to do that.. it's for all practical purposes a built-in pc cam..(frame capture) nothing more... for EMAIL services with webtv..

Grem...

·
Registered
139 Posts
UTVInsider,

Speaking of GAMES .... what's up with the Games menu on the TV Home screen? I KNOW it exists because it was all over these boards a while back and I saw it with my OWN EYES and actually PLAYED DOOM at my local BB. Then mysteriously .... it was gone! Poof! Nada!

Can you give us a "hint" as to what UTV is planning in this area? C'mon ... throw us a bone or something! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

OAW

·
Registered
71 Posts

There are a lot of features and services that have been tested for UltimateTV. And sometimes receivers accidentally get authorized for some services that are not ready to be public yet.

Games is another feature that has not been announced or scheduled yet. Unfortunately, that is all we can say at this point. It is on the list.

(I hope you weren't too distracted by Doom to notice the other test features on that build - remote garage door opener, and toaster oven control panel.) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

UTVinsider

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.