AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
UTVinsider,

Can you list the areas under consideration for future upgrades? No promise as to what or when, but categories?

Things like:

Games

CallerID support

X10 support

Ethernet

HDTV

Expand drive space

Enhanced WebTV links

"Season Pass" like scheduling

PC access to recorded data

WINK

Ed

·
Registered
71 Posts

Everything you mention is on "the list" but "the list" is huge. The real challenge is prioritizing "the list" and that process goes on every day.

There are a lot of factors to consider; hardware design, retail cost, development cost, system compliance, UI requirements, support requirements, interdependencies, QA requirements, limited dev resources, upgrade schedule, manufacturing partner needs, network partner needs, cost of service, bandwidth requirements, legacy requirements, business model, competitive landscape, stockholder expectations, etc. You get the picture.

Every feature on "the list" is a good one but the reality is that we will never be able to do them all. The key is to select the best ones which are economically achievable which will deliver the best TV experience to the biggest number of satisfied UltimateTV subscribers.

(OK, so it is a bit of a non-answer, but you didn't really expect me to just publish some feature list, did you?)

UTVinsider

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UTVinsider:
<snip>

(OK, so it is a bit of a non-answer, but you didn't really expect me to just publish some feature list, did you?)

UTVinsider
expect, of course not. hope, of course! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

is the main fear about releasing feature sets ahead of time related to competition, looking bad in front of customers if the date slips, lack of feature-set lock-down or what? in my line of software dev (enterprise software), you publish features well before you are done with them, heck IBM has been publishing features that are going to make it into WebSphere for 2 years that still aren't available http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

and, btw, I'm not picking on UTV, Tivo does the same thing, as has Replay, up until now anyway...

------------------

Paul

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by UTVinsider:

There are a lot of features and services that have been tested for UltimateTV. And sometimes receivers accidentally get authorized for some services that are not ready to be public yet.

Games is another feature that has not been announced or scheduled yet. Unfortunately, that is all we can say at this point. It is on the list.

(I hope you weren't too distracted by Doom to notice the other test features on that build - remote garage door opener, and toaster oven control panel.) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

UTVinsider
UTVInsider,

Thanks for the info!

OAW

·
Registered
204 Posts

UltimateTV has been demoed at trade shows with Ethernet connectivity via the USB port. But it is not a scheduled or announced upgrade at this time.

hmmmm... Sorry to hear/read that UTVinsder reports this... I am sure (and I will check when I get home) that somewhere in the UTV/ Directv/Sony provided documentation is the statement that lead me to believe that "USB ='d future high speed connections"

Joe

[This message has been edited by jplescia (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the fact that press releases from Microsoft have specifically mentioned USB-Ethernet connectivity *should* push the priority of that feature way up the list.

However, this feature is saddled by a marketing problem. Users which have Ethernet in their houses almost certainly have computer(s) to enjoy that connection, and they are the least likely to be interested in MSN TV. Those who don't have a computer and want to use MSN TV almost certainly don't have Ethernet in their houses and haven't paid $$$ for DSL/Cable (unless it's already in their building for free). The main audience for MSN TV is the dial-up user, who is served by the current hardware.

I want the feature just to see how usable MSN TV is with a fast connection, but I admit it's just for fun. In particular, the "interactive" feature (e.g. E!) is useless--by the time you get online, the show is practically over, or at least it has moved on. How would it be with instant access? When I want to surf, I'll go in the other room and use a computer (or use a laptop with WiFi).

I see many software products developed with a long roadmap that is never realized because priorities change. I've also seen and done demos of "preview" software products which were hacked together just for the show, so I can appreciate that a demo of USB-Ethernet is a long way from a supportable product.

I bought my original RCA UTV receiver for what it did at the time of purchase. I've bought products that don't even do what they say they do on the box, but this one did. If it does a little more down the road, that's fine, and I betcha Microsoft will soon develop a new version that forces a hardware replacement. The WinCE response time is already bad--do I want more features crammed in there to slow it down even more? I wouldn't be surprised if we get nothing more than bug fixes and minor features from here on out on the existing hardware. What really needs to be done is more usability testing and performance improvements on the features which are most problematic (e.g. Guide), but that's hard to justify to marketing, unless they can jump on the user eXPerience bandwagon.

If Microsoft/RCA/Sony can develop a 2.0 box with a 1Ghz processor that whips the menus on the screen, and offers a few of Ed Dixon's enhancements, I'll be first in line to buy one. HDTV is going to be the most disruptive to the hardware.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.