AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a KURO 600M, ISF calibrated ,and i find i am losing many details in dark sceens ! . Just watched "Sherlock Holmes ", another movie with many dark scenes and felt like many parts of the picture were just blacked out ? Is it just that some movies dont have good shadow detail?

Is there any (Shadow Detail picture threads) to compare with ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Which isf mode are you running? Isf night is darker then the other isf modes..I find ISF-DAY to be the best for all around viewing..I would like the answer to comparison threads as well.

·
Registered
18,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1  /t/1417492/kuro-any-shadow-detail-picture-threads-for-comparisons/0_100#post_22166440

I have a KURO 600M, ISF calibrated ,and i find i am losing many details in dark sceens ! . Just watched "Sherlock Holmes ", another movie with many dark scenes and felt like many parts of the picture were just blacked out ? Is it just that some movies dont have good shadow detail?

Is there any (Shadow Detail picture threads) to compare with ?
That is a very dark movie. As long as your brightness setting is correct along with gamma, you are seeing exactly what you are suppose to.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
That's how it looks. Amazing isn't it?

l love when movies go so dark (the latest harry potter for example) that it looks like you can't see anything cause everthing is so black. Just means our TV is doing its job.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
An easy test for black level is to pause it on a very dark scene. While paused raise the black level, or whatever its called on the Elite's I don't own one, and see if you gain any detail. You want it set to the point where if you go any higher you don't gain anymore detail and the overall image begins to lighten. It is usually very easy to see when that point is. Setting it to low and you will crush shadow detail. Too high and you are elevating the black level beyond where it needs to be.

Write down where it is set before you adjust it and try it out. I find myself checking that setting often. Sometimes the black level needs to be adjusted for certain movies. Some movies are just so dark that I raise the black level some to regain some shadow detail at the loss of ultimate black level.

Another movie that has very dark scenes is Unforgiven. If the black level is off, even just a few clicks, you lose all the detail. Especially in the shoot out scene in the saloon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts