AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, ive posted in the main kuro setting/issues about a problem i noticed when breaking in my plasma with the break in dvd, the thing ive notcied can only be decribed as a faint non uniformity of the brightness of the panel causing the apperance of faint horizontal streaks or almost like the screen looks dirty


now working in the industry i was fortunate to test out another kuro 1080p LX508 (in Australia , equiv to your elite i believe) and guess what , same problem,


could this just be a settling in issue for the phosphors ?

has anyone else seen the issue i speak of , do me a favour whack in your break in dvd and check for any non uniformity across the solid colour


if this is a common problem then i must say im quite disappointed in pioneer and for such a expensive panel this really is unacceptable. i know that you cant really notice it unless you study full field colour or when its solids black but thats not the point


i now am not sure what step to take next , i cant just keep replacing my set with another and another till i find one with out this issue

, im almost tempted to just get a refund and buy a cheap panel for now will they sort this stuff out

so any help would be well appreciated
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now , ones brand new and the other about 30 hours
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
654 Posts
wait and see what happens around 150hrs, lot of people are reporting it's all but gone around then, i know mine's @ 100hrs right now and it's significantly less than it was out of the box
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
I don't know how many hours are on my Pro-150FD, but I'm sure I'm over 500+

hours, and I have these faint streaks too. Mind you, I've gotten used to them,

but they do exist, especially on bright non-primary colours that fill the majority

of the screen (ie: Red/Green/Blue don't exhibit this, but pink, white, etc do).

It's rather hard to see the streaks, but if you look hard enough as a solid

bright colour scrolls vertically across the screen, you might notice them. The

infamous horizontal 'line' that's 1/3 from top is there on my TV too.


This affect does get a bit better in time, and even now I find it's better after

my 5th month (as opposed to the 4th month) of owning this TV, so perhaps in

another 6 or so months, they might be almost invisible during scrolling. It's

fine enough for me right now, but 3 or so months ago, I was a bit ticked.


By the way, I have my TV hooked up to a Dell XPS M1330 Laptop (via HDMI

connection) and it's rather amazing (running at 1920x1080). I did complain

at first, but it seems, strangely, this TV gets better in time. I'm actually

typing this from my TV right now. If you're wondering, I don't notice the

slight streaks on solid static colours on the PC. If you don't know, the PC

is likely where non-uniformity will show up. I had a banding Sharp d92 before

this TV, and it was BRUTAL when hooked up to the PC. The slight hiccup in

uniformity is quite minimal in this TV and hardly noticeable at all, even if you

look for it. It may vary from TV to TV, though, and many don't apparently

have this issue. It could be the first batch only has some (gotta check your

manufacture date). Anyhow, as I've said, the phenomenon is mainly noticeable

during vertical scrolling of very bright scenes, and even then it doesn't happen

all the time. It's gotten to that point that I don't notice them.


Something to think about. Take care.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
both plasmas ive checked are manufactured November 2007

maybe its a faulty batch, really thinking whether i can live with it or whether i should just return the set,

i know its sounds stupid but its more the principal, i know it will drive me mad in the back of my mind knowing theres something not quite right with my set, im anal like that , especially after spending so much on a panel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpet /forum/post/12854225


both plasmas ive checked are manufactured November 2007

maybe its a faulty batch, really thinking whether i can live with it or whether i should just return the set,

i know its sounds stupid but its more the principal, i know it will drive me mad in the back of my mind knowing theres something not quite right with my set, im anal like that , especially after spending so much on a panel

I understand, and I spent over $8K on my set too. If things bother you that

much, then return it and be done with it. I originally shared your pain, but after

all these months, I'm very happy with my TV. I've been especially happy since

I've been watching the TV full time for my viewing pleasure, instead of looking

for little faults here or there.


Keep in mind it's very rare to find the perfect TV with zero faults these days.

If you look hard enough, you'll find something. In my case, I have to look real

hard to notice any possible streaks that I don't even see when watching a

movie and I am sitting close (7 feet away) to a 60 incher. Perhaps I only see

the very few I do because I sit so close.


Anyhow, whatever you decide to do, good luck.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crumpet /forum/post/12854031


Kuro Dirty Picture uniformity Fault !

There are many reports regarding picture uniformity issues with Pioneer's 8G not so Kuro PDPs: blotching/streaking/buzzing, which are being attributed to flaws in the production process by one of this Forum's more knowledgeable; albeit semi-retired participants.


Supposedly these issues will be rectified with the 9G models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
optivity...do you own a Kuro? I keep seeing that greyed out Kuro and wonder if you are being sarcastic?

Because otherwise you are just being silly. Please tell me of a line that comes even close to the Kuro's black levels?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts
Sounds like defective product. I have a Nov 2007 USA Kuro. The Uniformity is excellent. My previous CRT set had poor uniformity, so that is one of the things I very carefully inspected when my set was delivered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
469 Posts
I love reading about this stuff, but honestly I just need to stop because I know I will not notice these details if I don't know to look specifically for them. I mean, I've had this problem before. I need to stop now while I'm ahead I think. It can only get worse I'm afraid.

Good to know the problems seem to improve over time. That seems to be the case with many of these "problems" apparently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by optivity /forum/post/12861034


If you must know, I am a long suffering NYG Football fan who happens to own a not so Kuro PRO-150FD.

Come on Optivity try being a Lions Fan and you'll know suffering - damn your team is in the NFC Championship how is that suffering? I take it your color coding depicts gray blacks since that's your selection in the HTML code.


Not an owner just a casual viewer trying to figure out why they are repeatedly displayed and present such a dim feed of it's material on five different occasions over the past few months and why the 71 series adjacent to it has deeper blacks with on screen material and blank screen and it's not in a bright area of display in the store.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
582 Posts
I also had the infamous horizontal 'line' that's 1/3 from top of my 5010FD...and also on many other 5010 displays at B&M stores. However, I have not noticed it on the 5080 sets that I've seen.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/12861431


Come on Optivity try being a Lions Fan and you'll know suffering - damn your team is in the NFC Championship how is that suffering?

Who would have thought at the beginning of the season the NYG & the Green Bay Packers would be playing in this year's NFC Championship game?
Of course I kind of "pity" the winner who is likely to lose BIG TIME to the New England Patriots during the Super Bowl. All I can say is the NYG looked pretty sweet defeating the Dallas Cowboys on my PRO-150FD
and thank you Jessica Simpson.


Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/12861431


I take it your color coding depicts gray blacks since that's your selection in the HTML code.

I once used the term inky to describe the black renderings of my not so Kuro PRO-150FD. But since CES 2008 where Pioneer previewed their:

Extreme Contrast... flat panel display that achieves an absolute black... that eliminates all measurable light emitted from the screen


lets just say that some of the luster has come off my PDP.


Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/12861431


Not an owner just a casual viewer trying to figure out why they are repeatedly displayed and present such a dim feed of it's material on five different occasions over the past few months and why the 71 series adjacent to it has deeper blacks with on screen material and blank screen and it's not in a bright area of display in the store.

71 series (?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/12861431


Not an owner just a casual viewer trying to figure out why they are repeatedly displayed and present such a dim feed of it's material on five different occasions over the past few months and why the 71 series adjacent to it has deeper blacks with on screen material and blank screen and it's not in a bright area of display in the store.

In a moderately or brightly lit room, the darkness of the screen material is the major contributor to having deeper blacks. In a very dark room, it is the light emitted from the display that dominates. Somewhere in between, both are a factor.


Some LCDs, like the Samsung 71/81 do have very dark screen material, perhaps even a bit darker than the 5080 I compared. I had trouble seeing the difference in the BB nearest to me, since they weren't side-by-side. The reflections and differences in ambient light just from moving around could make one look a bit better than the other. On the other hand, they both had significantly deeper blacks than the other plasma models I was considering, at least in the showroom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nambit /forum/post/12854067


I have my TV hooked up to a Dell XPS M1330 Laptop (via HDMI connection) and it's rather amazing (running at 1920x1080). I did complain

at first, but it seems, strangely, this TV gets better in time. I'm actually

typing this from my TV right now. If you're wondering, I don't notice the

slight streaks on solid static colours on the PC. If you don't know, the PC

is likely where non-uniformity will show up. I had a banding Sharp d92 before

this TV, and it was BRUTAL when hooked up to the PC. The slight hiccup in

uniformity is quite minimal in this TV and hardly noticeable at all, even if you

look for it. It may vary from TV to TV, though, and many don't apparently

have this issue. It could be the first batch only has some (gotta check your

manufacture date). Anyhow, as I've said, the phenomenon is mainly noticeable

during vertical scrolling of very bright scenes, and even then it doesn't happen

all the time. It's gotten to that point that I don't notice them.

I am wondering if I am experiencing an issue similar to this or if it something else:


I have an XPS m1330 hooked up to a Mitsu HC1500 projector via the HDMI from the laptop through an Onkyo TX-SR605 out to the projector. When I play a movie, it looks fine on the laptop screen but in high motion sequences, there will be lines that appear briefly across the screen at different points (always grouped together, but sometimes at the top, bottom or middle of the screen). Is this the HDMI output of the laptop, something with the reciever or is it the projector? I don't know what's wrong, I've tried everything I know to do (I used to work in IT, so I can troubleshoot PC's well enough).


Can someone at least point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot this further, fix it or find a relevant thread? I'm pulling my hair out!


Thanks in advance!


B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b8b /forum/post/13021227


I am wondering if I am experiencing an issue similar to this or if it something else:


I have an XPS m1330 hooked up to a Mitsu HC1500 projector via the HDMI from the laptop through an Onkyo TX-SR605 out to the projector. When I play a movie, it looks fine on the laptop screen but in high motion sequences, there will be lines that appear briefly across the screen at different points (always grouped together, but sometimes at the top, bottom or middle of the screen). Is this the HDMI output of the laptop, something with the reciever or is it the projector? I don't know what's wrong, I've tried everything I know to do (I used to work in IT, so I can troubleshoot PC's well enough).


Can someone at least point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot this further, fix it or find a relevant thread? I'm pulling my hair out!


Thanks in advance!


B

I think my 110FD has it also. It's very hard to see in normal TV viewing, but with vertical panning there is a "banding" effect. The faster the panning, the more noticeable it is. The odds are every set does this, to some degree, but I bet some people are more sensitive to it than others. The eye is more sensitive to slight differences in brightness when the boundary appears to be moving. I have also noticed vertical banding visible with horizontal pans, but much less so.


The non-uniformity is present for all three colors, and appears to be present even for a black screen--though dark-adjusted eyes are needed to see it (gotta love those black levels!). It is not a filter defect. With the set turned off, I can see absolutely no imperfections.


A way to reproduce the effect on demand is to play the break-in DVD (or pause on some image with a large bright, relatively uniform area such as the sky) and look at the reflection of your room on the panel. Move your head up and down while focusing on the reflection. This will make the non-uniformity of the image much more obvious.


It has been reported here that it diminishes with time, and that makes sense. The brighter pixels age faster than the dimmer pixels, so the difference in brightness ought to decrease over time. Just as well, as I'm now passed the 30 days for an exchange--not that I have much reason to believe a replacement would be better, given what I've read here. Still, this is something that I do not notice 99.9% of the time in normal viewing, so it shouldn't be blown out of proportion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Mine is different, and it doesn't do it with a component HD source, so I don't think it is the projector. Mine looks like it is trying to sync the video or something, there will be two bands accross the entire screen that go from top to bottom and take about 2 seconds and it transitions the screen. Audio will also go out for a brief second from time to time. It does not do this on the XPS m1330 laptop screen/sound. I have no idea why it is doing this and don't know where to stop troubleshooting. Any advice is appreciated. thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Sorry, I assumed the post I quoted was talking about a Kuro but obviously I was wrong. Even so, it still sounds like slightly non-uniform image brightness. As HDMI is completely digital, the most likely source of b8b's problem is his projector. This thread is specifically about Kuros.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top