AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahead /forum/post/17013577

No fp can match that'They do not have to.Can your Kuro throw a 100in to 150in image that looks better tha most cinemas.No'but most fp's can.BOB

Thanks.

Did someone have measured the FL of the black level for the JVC and the Kuro?

Is the JVC close to the kuro or really the Kuro is in another league?

Eric

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac /forum/post/17013518

If everyone on this forum was kind like you there will be no forum at all...

If people would search and post to existing threads the forum would be a lot less cluttered.

Right on the first page of the forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...highlight=kuro

And more from the first page of search results:

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok thanks everyone for all the good links... I found useful information.

The only thing I cannot find is my last question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac /forum/post/17013769

Did someone have measured the FL of the black level for the JVC and the Kuro?

Is the JVC close to the kuro or really the Kuro is in another league?

Eric

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
6,040 Posts
Forum members please just answer the question if you have the answer

Black levels...

The RS20 can have better "absolute" black then the kuro (without bias lighting)

The RS20 will not have better Ansi contrast (not even close)

Do you know the bifference of what I am posting?

Will the picture quality be as good on the rs20? depends on what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/17013961

Black levels...

The RS20 can have better "absolute" black then the kuro (without bias lighting)

The RS20 will not have better Ansi contrast (not even close)

Do you know the bifference of what I am posting?

If I understand correctly, The RS20 on a full black image will be blacker than the Kuro... But when the image have black and white in the same image it is a different story...

Is that true?

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
6,040 Posts
Yes!

The Kuro is amazing from an on/off and Ansi contrast standpoint.

The RS20 is amazing from an on/off but Ansi is on the low end of projectors.

Great example:

Watch any 2.35:1 movie on the Kuro and the black bars on top and bottom of the screen look pure black!

Same situation on the RS20 with a 1.78:1 screen, and the bars on top and bottom will not look black. They will not disappear into the boarders of the screen.

·
Registered
23,131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/17013961

That's the problem, all the OP's questions have been discussed/answered a number of times already. There's another thread on the front page of this very sub-forum discussing exactly the same topic (

high end projector vs kuro 60
), and a number of member (some from this very thread) have taken the time to respond in that thread already. Now there's another thread with some of the same questions and some of the same answers. It's frustrating to get asked the same question over and over again, especially when another thread already answers the same questions and is sitting on the first page.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
I love my RS20 but the Kuro is the better display inch-for-inch.

Still, all critical viewing gets done on the RS20 because even 60" is too small a screen.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/17014145

Watch any 2.35:1 movie on the Kuro and the black bars on top and bottom of the screen look pure black!.

Maybe with the lights on in the room.

·
Home Theater Enthusiast
6,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy /forum/post/17014399

Maybe with the lights on in the room.

Lawguy, if you don't already get some Bias lighting on your kuro... its the greatest enhancement for the Kuro ever.

Everything looks pure black, even on a full black screen!

·
Registered
5,668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK /forum/post/17014449

Lawguy, if you don't already get some Bias lighting on your kuro... its the greatest enhancement for the Kuro ever.

Everything looks pure black, even on a full black screen!

I'm sure but I mostly use it in the day.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickAVManiac /forum/post/17014099

If I understand correctly, The RS20 on a full black image will be blacker than the Kuro... But when the image have black and white in the same image it is a different story...

Is that true?

SOWK is simplifying.

Maybe with regards to absolute black. Projectors don't have an absolute black level because it depends on the size of the screen and the screen gain (and we are assuming no ambient light).

Those are variables that don't change on a TV.

This is why on/off is the relevant spec, and black level is particularly misleading or meaningless when discussing a front projector because it will vary in absolute, while the on/off CR will remain fixed.

This all being said, two advantages of the JVC are image size (a very big advantage) and the potential for near perfect color accuracy, something not possible with a Kuro unless you add an outboard processor.

I can understand using something like the Kuro in a smaller room, or where you don't really have the ability to do a large screen, but if you're into watching films, a larger screen is hugely advantageous, and the black levels that the on/off CR of the JVC affords you are excellent.

The ANSI CR of the JVC is good, but it won't match a Kuro, or something like a good DLP front projector.

You should try to see a properly setup JVC and view yourself. I came from a CRT projector which hits absolute blacks better than the JVC, comparable or better than a Kuro, and I am very satisfied with the JVC overall, and I didn't change screen size. If you are coming from a Kuro, and increasing screen size to a projection system, this will be the biggest change, and it will be a hugely beneficial one.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.